Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Interesting Nissan 350Z Sales Brochure

Old 08-17-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Nissan 350Z Sales Brochure

I was curious to see the new 350Z in person, so I stopped by the Nissan dealership yesterday to see if they had one I could look at. They didn't, but one of the salesmen gave me an interesting brochure to take home with me. It's called "Nissan Competitive Edge" and is apparently for sales people only. On the cover it even says "Approved for Dealer Personnel Only". In this particular issue, they compare the 350Z to the S2000, the BMW Z3, the Audi TT and the Boxter S but seem to focus more on the S2000. I guess it's for sales people to use as propaganda to convince potential customers to buy the 350Z over its' competitors.
Here are a few quotes from the S2000 comparison:

"S2000 a "Weekend Car." S2000 offers sports car styling and performance, yet its cramped interior and high-revving engine make it unsuitable for for everyday driving. In contrast, 350Z provides the driving enjoyment that true sports car enthusiasts seek, along with comfort and utility for everyday use."

"S2000 is powered by a 2.0 liter DOHC in-line 4-cylinder engine. Although it produces 240 horsepower, it produces only 153 ft. lbs. of torque. In addition, it generates peak power and torque at very high rpm, making it responsive for aggressive driving, but sluggish for everyday, around-town driving. 350Z's V6 engine generates substantially more horsepower and torque, and peak power is available at much lower rpm."

"The S2000 uses cast iron suspension components vs. 350Z's lighter and stronger forged aluminum-alloy pieces. Honda's suspension appears less substantial for heavy-duty use."

"S2000's "coil-over-shock" rear suspension design compromises the performance of both the springs and shock absorbers. In contrast, 350Z has a separation between the shock absorbers that improves suspension performance by reducing friction and allowing components to perform without compromise."

There are many more quotes I could pass along, but you get the idea.

They also did a performance comparison between the 350Z, the S2000 and the Boxter S. In a footnote it states that the data was compiled by Precision Dynamics, Inc. in a non-certified test conducted in June 2002 using "identical test routes and procedures." Both the S2000 and Boxter S are 2002 models. Here are the results:

0-60 350Z 6.31 seconds
S2000 7.14 seconds
Boxter S 6.26 seconds

1/4 mile 350Z 14.54 @ 99.80 mph
S2000 15.55 @ 94.80 mph
Boxter S 14.87 @ 96.60 mph

I'm sure the 350Z is a fine car, but it's obvious that whoever wrote this comparison test has not spent much time in the seat of an S2K.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty typical of auto company propaganda - and they are all guilty of this, even Honda. Instead of really driving the cars (and allowing their salesmen to do competitive comparisons), they really reach for some of this stuff. As a former marketing guy, I've seen it plenty.

I really liked how they comment on the heavier cast iron suspension components and then say the suspension "appears" less substantial. Have they looked at the material properties of properly treated grey cast iron vs. aluminum? Not that you can't make Al stronger in certain respects than some inferior grades of grey iron, but to say its stronger is reaching a bit.

Or how coil-overs are inferior to separate spring/shock setups - hmm, lets look at race car design, shall we? :-)

Of course, the real kicker is the acceleration times. Hell, even Car and Driver, which has recorded some of the slowest S2000 times, only shows it 0.3 sec slower in the quarter than the Z. R&T and MT have the S2K quicker (but with a slightly slower trap speed). And of course, the 0-60 times, heh, I think I could almost beat that starting in 2nd (o.k., not quite, but...).

Heh, but anyways, you were right - quite amusing, I mean interesting :-)

UL
Old 08-17-2002, 11:20 PM

They are comparing a 2 seater coupe with open top roasters. 7.1sec 0-60, did they go up hill on a dirt road, in the rain.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess they'll do whatever it takes to push their product. Makes sense but I think the true auto enthusiast is wiser.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:45 AM

Hehe, those 0-60/ 1/4 mile times are hilarious, even for the 350Z
Old 08-18-2002, 11:25 AM

identical test routes and procedures.
Which very well could mean that they dropped the clutch at 3000 rpm and shifted at 6000 rpm on all three cars.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:14 PM

The s2000 can pull 0-60 in 5.3 from what I've heard and 1/4 mile about 13.9, BUT a lot of it is the skill of the driver. It's a high reving engine that will fool most if they don't know how to shift it. This is a car you have to master. It could easily pull a 5.3, but if you don't know the car and characteristics of it, you will prob pull a 6.5. Not all magazines shift it at 9,000 rpm, or rev to where you need to at launch. That will help will get the time. They should have hired some of us as the testers.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:33 PM

This stuff is nothing new. It's done all the time. It's one of the things that makes me cringe when dealer salesmen open their mouths - they regurgitate all the BS that's fed to them from stuff like this.

I especially liked the separation of the rear spring/shock combo. If it's so damn great (it's not), then why isn't the front done in the same manner.

The real reason this is done is to get more trunk space, by using a shorter spring. I don't really care either way, since the new GTR is based on the Z platform and I REALLY want one of those!
Old 08-19-2002, 12:04 PM

I was talking to a dealer last week and they said nissan is shipping 35 to 40 thousand Zs...thats not including the upcoming convertables. They should tell people, everybody even your mom will be driving one

I still think it is a nice sports car...in my eyes it just looks like a TT in the back.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting comments.

I walked underneath my S2000 when they were doing the PDI at the dealership, and I must say I was surprised at how "dainty" the suspension components were. It makes perfect sense, though. The Z's suspension would have to be stronger (thicker, heavier) to support all that extra weight.

The Z is a much heavier car. A heavier car requires thicker, more rugged suspension components. The S2000, with its small motor and lightweight body, can do the same job (well, better, actually ) with a smaller and lighter suspension.

Also, I would shoot myself if the best time I could pull in the S2000 is a 15.55. What's up with that? My del Sol...with 80 fewer horses...ran faster times than that. Those guys should be ashamed to call themselves "drivers."

Quick Reply: Interesting Nissan 350Z Sales Brochure