Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Kia Stinger GT - Whoa...

Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
My issue with the Korean cars is they have no character and drive like bread boxes (poor chassis dynamics). All the Japanese manufacturers have built many cars and engines over the years that are now iconic. I can't think of one Korean car or engine that you could stay the same about, that includes the Genesis and it's optional V8.

I will likely never own a Korean car for the aforementioned reasons alone. I still correlate the Kia name with inferior, crappy product unfortunately.
You need to fill that chip in on your shoulder and get out of the "Get off my lawn" mentality. I know youre a vet here, and myself a newcomer, but I get how forums operate. First off you drive an S2k, there are so few vehicles that i can think of with the kind of character you speak of, if ANY in an S2K pricepoint. That itself is on the endangered list. That being said, the engines in KIA/Hyundai? MY 13+ on most models are bullet proof and IMO even with (IMO) and more often than not surpassing ANYTHING Honda has put out short of your motor (let alone last 5 years-at least) 350HP and 300tq on a 3.8 NA engine that sounds awesome-stock. Itll get up and go. Not quite as fast as my 370Z from a dig but close, on a roll its got it though. Tech? KDM drips it. I can start my car with my phone among other things. Reliable? No one I know (a handful of users minimum) has ever had a mechanical issue. Ever. My sunroof button was sticking. 10 year warranty. So to recap, 350hp/300TQ, peanut butter leather, Nav, 8speed auto with paddlers, tech, reliability for $30K out the door...I fail to see how thats a bad thing. Is it an S2K? No, so few things are though. Nor does it pretend to even try.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

It looks like they tried to take the best of everything and mash it up to another almost cool looking Kia model. For toeing the line between style and vanilla for the price point they hit the mark.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase
You need to fill that chip in on your shoulder and get out of the "Get off my lawn" mentality. I know youre a vet here, and myself a newcomer, but I get how forums operate. First off you drive an S2k, there are so few vehicles that i can think of with the kind of character you speak of, if ANY in an S2K pricepoint. That itself is on the endangered list. That being said, the engines in KIA/Hyundai? MY 13+ on most models are bullet proof and IMO even with (IMO) and more often than not surpassing ANYTHING Honda has put out short of your motor (let alone last 5 years-at least) 350HP and 300tq on a 3.8 NA engine that sounds awesome-stock. Itll get up and go. Not quite as fast as my 370Z from a dig but close, on a roll its got it though. Tech? KDM drips it. I can start my car with my phone among other things. Reliable? No one I know (a handful of users minimum) has ever had a mechanical issue. Ever. My sunroof button was sticking. 10 year warranty. So to recap, 350hp/300TQ, peanut butter leather, Nav, 8speed auto with paddlers, tech, reliability for $30K out the door...I fail to see how thats a bad thing. Is it an S2K? No, so few things are though. Nor does it pretend to even try.

Pssst.... I have not owned an S2000 since 2006. I had the privilege of owning two AP1's which were both great cars. I currently own an 04' X50 996 Turbo Cab, 16' GT350 Track Pack and a 15' Fiesta ST for 'fun' cars. Clearly you exude passion for Kia/Hyundai which is great. In saying that, you missed my point which I stand by. Korean cars lack character, soul and generally have dismal driving dynamics. Numerous Korean designs have been done aesthetically well but that just hides the rubbish underneath. If thats what you like, all the power to you. Where did I ever mention technology and reliability ? The Koreans do not lead the pack in either of those categories BTW.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Pssst.... I have not owned an S2000 since 2006. I had the privilege of owning two AP1's which were both great cars. I currently own an 04' X50 996 Turbo Cab, 16' GT350 Track Pack and a 15' Fiesta ST for 'fun' cars. Clearly you exude passion for Kia/Hyundai which is great. In saying that, you missed my point which I stand by. Korean cars lack character, soul and generally have dismal driving dynamics. Numerous Korean designs have been done aesthetically well but that just hides the rubbish underneath. If thats what you like, all the power to you. Where did I ever mention technology and reliability ? The Koreans do not lead the pack in either of those categories BTW.
Dont get me wrong I respect your opinion and your choice of platforms, kudos. Your choice of words with KDM, like "rubbish" just doesnt add up-as a whole. Perhaps individually you, or someone you know may have, or has an issue with a MY 13+ KDM. So does a guy I know with a 14+ 911. Driving dynamics are personal, not typically "built" if you will. Saying a KDM doesnt have characteristics like that of an S2K...I agree. Few do, but from an engineering standpoint, they taken MASSIVE strides. In addition, looking at the east, what else is out there in "this" range? A Dinosaur 370Z? Underpowered, overpriced Lexus RC350? Miata? Another prehistoric WRX( true four seat-door sedan-blah)? Kudos to KDM to offer great competition in a well made product in a small, niche area.