Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Logical upgrade from my S2000?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Z4m too!! Coupe though. I love the rare stuff. I like the Z8 too.

Elise is not daily drive friendly. But I assume it is ultra fun on tight track and autox.

The time when I sold my S2000, my choices were Cayman S or NSX. Today, if I would have to do it over again, it would be the C2S, GT3, GT4, or NSX(it can be fast and daily able) and anything else will be too much money.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, all these threads are making me car-itch. I need to take my car out for a spin this weekend to satisfy my need for speed.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of all the cars I've driven since the s2000 the closest in terms of driver involvement / driving dynamic was the Z4M. It feels more stable, has more power / torque, and responds to driver inputs with similar immediacy. It is roughly 350-400lbs heavier than an s2000 but it doesn't feel significantly heavier in the bends IMHO. If you want exclusivity it's also super rare.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Lotus Evora would be my first suggestion. Toyota engine, mid-engine design, good looks, rare, great sound, easy to work on (overall) and while build quality was originally a bit sketchy, they do seem to have gotten better.

987.2 Cayman/Boxster S would tick all the right boxes as well. The newer engine (2009+ models) is more reliable than earlier models. The 981 model (2012+) is even better, overall, but is quite a bit pricier.

BMW Z4 M coupe is an alternate suggestion (and my current car). Way more power and torque (comparable power to a nicely supercharged S2000 but still way more torque), somewhat heavier, more refined, more balanced (but less agile), worse shifter, way nicer interior and amenities, and quite rare. I raced an E92 M3 today and stayed with him from a 10mph roll. I'm neck-and-neck with the same car around our local track (me on old Continentals, him on Pilot Super Sports), so it's relatively quick, all things considered.
I drove a 987 Boxster S and wasn't impressed with the loose feeling shifter. Maybe it was just a bad example. But I also don't like the looks. I do prefer the Cayman, but it doesn't have the exclusivity factor. I think between Cayman and NSX I'd still go NSX, even if the Cayman is a bit more capable stock vs stock.

Z4 M is another car on my test drive bucket list. I drove a Z3 M (US spec with 240hp) and hated the clutch, clunky shifter, and darty suspension. But again, maybe it was the example I drove.

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
I'm a big z4m coupe fan as well.

Though a bit partial to the older, clown shoe version.
See above.

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1431706420' post='23614080
Lotus Evora would be my first suggestion. Toyota engine, mid-engine design, good looks, rare, great sound, easy to work on (overall) and while build quality was originally a bit sketchy, they do seem to have gotten better.
unfortunately the Evoras that are near the $40k price range are not worth buying IMO. The build quality for those years are pretty bad, their slow, & their clutches are very expensive to replace. There not that easy to work on, better than the elise/exige but still not easy.
This is what I figured.

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by Zygrene' timestamp='1431668086' post='23613582
2) Exclusivity - I want it to look and feel special even before starting the engine
For 10 years I have felt the S2000 looks and feels special before even putting my finger to the start button. Maybe that is just me.
I love the looks and feel, don't get me wrong. But it's a little less special when I show up to the track and see 10 other S2000's parked there. Doesn't take anything away from the car.

Originally Posted by HGL1668
I love Z4m too!! Coupe though. I love the rare stuff. I like the Z8 too.

Elise is not daily drive friendly. But I assume it is ultra fun on tight track and autox.

The time when I sold my S2000, my choices were Cayman S or NSX. Today, if I would have to do it over again, it would be the C2S, GT3, GT4, or NSX(it can be fast and daily able) and anything else will be too much money.
DD-friendly doesn't matter since I have a comfortable daily. GT3 is near the top of my list but totally out of my price range.

Originally Posted by HGL1668
Man, all these threads are making me car-itch. I need to take my car out for a spin this weekend to satisfy my need for speed.
Seriously, lol.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Out of all the cars I've driven since the s2000 the closest in terms of driver involvement / driving dynamic was the Z4M. It feels more stable, has more power / torque, and responds to driver inputs with similar immediacy. It is roughly 350-400lbs heavier than an s2000 but it doesn't feel significantly heavier in the bends IMHO. If you want exclusivity it's also super rare.
I always assumed the Z4 M was more of a GT car than the S2000. I will definitely keep an eye out for them.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

It's a better GT car than the S2000 but it's still too rough and small to be a good GT car.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
I do prefer the Cayman, but it doesn't have the exclusivity factor.
It's not exclusive? They don't make that many of them, so in a pure stat sense, it is more exclusive than a 911.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If you like the NSX buy one. It's going to be quieter ride, more of a GT car. Keep that all in mind.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

going back to the E46 M3 comparison.... it's really apples to oranges comparing it to an S2000. totally different car. the high points to me on the E46 are the looks and the motor(smooth revving, flexible, nice power deliver). the low points are the rubbery shifter and the poor interior materials(like most BMWs). the handling and braking are good, but the car feels heavy. here's my main problem with M3s: it's based on an entry level luxury sedan.

not that the M3 doesn't have its strong points, but i think there is a lot to be said for a car that was designed and built to be a sports car.

Quick Reply: Logical upgrade from my S2000?