Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

M BMW is more reliable than your Honda

Old 02-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I owned a 2013 bmw 335i m sport for three years, other than....run flat had a buble after 5000 miles, rev hang all the time: probably due to car wanting an automatic rather than a manual, cutting out into limp home mode several times for no reason, fix was to pull over and restart...it was problem free.....mushy 3 setting suspension was garbage, bouncy suspension, cheap interior parts, nav was fair.

new 2016 m3, no issues of any type, even the tech is better, sure voice activation misunderstands me sometimes but it's solid so far after 8 months or hard use....this is the bmw i wanted.

neither car left me stranded, i paid 0 for maintenance other than tires, and the m car is head over heels better...
Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the bottom of the page, it says "sponsored by bmw"
Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Hard to take this JD Power "study" seriously when nearly one in four complaints are sourced to infotainment systems. From the JD Power press release:

Bluetooth pairing? Seems like a stretch to give a vehicle poor reliability marks just because you have trouble pairing your iPhone with it...
for most of the millenials, a smart phone is more important than a car. Hence if your car does not work with your phone, that's a problem.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
for most of the millenials, a smart phone is more important than a car. Hence if your car does not work with your phone, that's a problem.
As much as I love my cars, my phone is more important. My phone makes me money. My cars lose me money lol.

One of the reasons I sold my Wrx was the Bluetooth in it sucked. People could barely hear me.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Having a phone pair correctly with a car is not asking much...
Old 02-24-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Well, yeah. Everyone knows that the car's computer is programmed to recognize the point at which the warranty expires, THEN it starts the slow process of self destruction.
They weren't Honda's, but ever since 1978 my now 80 year-old father has owned Japanese cars, always purchased new: a 280Z, 280ZX, Turbocharged RX-7, SC-400, and finally a G35. Last year he wanted to replace the G35, and I talked him into looking at a BMW 235i. Well, the salesman talked him down(!) to a 228i, and my father bought the car. Absolutely loves it! I did caution him that I suspected the maintenance would be very expensive on the car (I met a BMW dealership service manager once who told me that he always has people bringing in cars which they obviously cannot afford to keep, giving him sob stories and trying to get him to lower their repair bills). My father's attitude is that he'll keep the car until the end of the warranty and then trade it in.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart
They weren't Honda's, but ever since 1978 my now 80 year-old father has owned Japanese cars, always purchased new: a 280Z, 280ZX, Turbocharged RX-7, SC-400, and finally a G35. Last year he wanted to replace the G35, and I talked him into looking at a BMW 235i. Well, the salesman talked him down(!) to a 228i, and my father bought the car. Absolutely loves it! I did caution him that I suspected the maintenance would be very expensive on the car (I met a BMW dealership service manager once who told me that he always has people bringing in cars which they obviously cannot afford to keep, giving him sob stories and trying to get him to lower their repair bills). My father's attitude is that he'll keep the car until the end of the warranty and then trade it in.
I've owned two G35 coupes and the first one (04 brembo pack 6mt) had no issues.. and that was fully built with a twin turbo. No issues, not a drop.

My second one was a 06 with it bored and stroked, engine build was done by a very reputable company and ran fine, but I had to replace the motor TWICE before this build even happened. Both times was due to scoring of the piston rings, common issue/tsb with the coupes..

I heard those new 2 series are a hoot to drive, the rear end of the cars haven't fully grown on me yet though - I've finally just started to appreciate the rear of the 135i (lol). BMW's styling for me is a hit and miss. To this day, my neighbor's i8 still looks way too much like Shamu.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Having a phone pair correctly with a car is not asking much...
(Disclosure: I'm a software engineer doing embedded work with a specialty in networking. I have firsthand experience debugging devices running three different BT stacks - native android (multiple versions), one we developed in-house, and a third party offering.)

It's a little more complicated than you might think. Sure, nominally, Bluetooth works. And works pretty well. But it's not dead reliable, and IMO, it never will be. Each BT stack comes with its own set of idiosyncracies and issues (and defects). Then you have different versions of the Bluetooth specification, with some commands and/or procedures deprecated, while new ones are also added. When you consider the thousands of different BT devices out there and all the different versions of BT stack software running on them, it shouldn't come as a surprise that problems crop up from time to time. It's not practical (or possible?) for a device manufacturer to test all possible device and software combinations for every possible use case. Some people at the fringes are going to run into issues from time to time.

On the other hand... if there was a reference BT implementation that everyone could pick up, and everyone ran the exact same version of it... now we're talking!

/soapbox
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what a load of horse dick.