Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New DD: Ford Focus RS

Old 03-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Well don't take this the wrong way as I'm 100% not trying to be rude. Sir, don't come into my joy and try to take a dump. It's not kosh. And it isn't appreciated.
Ford Focus RS sucks and rides like a dump truck.

Just kidding! Awesome car, congrats man!!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:23 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Ford Focus RS sucks and rides like a dump truck.

Just kidding! Awesome car, congrats man!!
Gecko....what's funny is I know a guy that knows you........

I also know guys that could buy us and it'd just be March.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My apologies good sir, wasn't trying to 'dump' on your car, just didn't know myself and thought u'd have some intel / could clarify as a new owner.

I did some digging and it looks like ford revised it extensively; its up there with the nissan VQ architecture and that says a lot.

"Repurposed from its Mustang big brother, this version of Ford’s EcoBoost 4-cyl. pumps out a whopping 155 hp/L, or more specifically 350 hp at 6,000 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. (475 Nm) of peak torque at an easy-access 3,200 rpm.

That combination put the Focus RS right at the top of the most-fun-to-drive list among the cars tested in the 2017 Wards 10 Best Engines competition.

And it isn’t simply a case of stuffing an oversized powerplant into a small car’s engine bay. When we tested the 2.3L two years ago in the Mustang, it made a more modest 310 hp. So in addition to boosting output, Ford had to find a way to manage that load.

That led to an all-new cylinder head, formed from higher-spec aluminum, and higher-tensile iron cylinder liners. The exhaust system also was redesigned specifically for the RS, and Ford upgraded the cooling capacity to better manage the high-output engine’s thermal stress.

The intake system is unique, too, as is the larger twin-scroll turbocharger that increases boost and responsiveness. That’s definitely something we noticed. Power delivery is lively and linear, with no sudden gushes and absolutely no dead zones. All you need to do is “pick the right gear and keep the revs rolling,” notes one judge.

"

2017 Wards 10 Best Engines Winner: Ford Focus RS 2.3L Turbo 4-Cyl. | 2017 content from WardsAuto
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (02-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True, and why with white you clear the whole front end. Other colors you can do partials. White = whole front.
I'm anal retentive about long term stuff so it's worth it to me to keep my vehicles free from rock chips.
When I sold my STI (clearbra also) I didn't have a single scratch, dent, or nick on the paint. And Subaru paint is horribly thin and weak.
S2k, story is above. Film saved my arse and my car from a repaint. All it takes one set of rocks, debris, etc.
I've backed in before, made a mistake, and hit, film saved my bacon. Not my first car to do this on, and it pays for itself long term.
Resale value is higher when paint is mint. Might have to find the right buyer but they'll pay more if they understand clearbra.
Having it on there is an asset. If you horse trade a whole lot and never keep anything, dunno. But the film paid for itself on my STI and S2000 sales.
Worth it to some of us, others maybe not. When I'm spending what I did on the car, protecting it is worth it to me.
It has saved my bikes from insect/rocks beatings out in the country every year.
Some will buy a 50, 60, or 100k or more car then bark at dropping $1500 to protect it. I don't understand that but like I said, each to their own.
I decided not to put any film on my GT350 due to the vinyl stripes. If I ever have to remove the film it will likely damage the stripes or the portion not under film will will have faded over time. New stripes are silly expensive for being stick on vinyl pieces. If I had no stripes, I likely would have done it. The whole front end of my 2004 996 is 3M'd and it is starting to yellow a little with only 32,000 KM's and fair weather driving, thats what I dislike about the protective films most.

**Nice RS BTW, great car !!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ 3m product is known to yellow with age. Competitors products do not
Old 03-12-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Gecko....what's funny is I know a guy that knows you........

I also know guys that could buy us and it'd just be March.
No idea what you just said, but congrats again!!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
No idea what you just said, but congrats again!!
Just a friendly joke that sailed. Was a refence to something you said to me years ago, about being able to buy me
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
^^ 3m product is known to yellow with age. Competitors products do not
True. Xpel is much better, suntek even better. I used suntek because the shop I use regularly tests all available films, and tests them quite hard. I've seen the Pepsi challenge demos.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by EastS2k
My apologies good sir, wasn't trying to 'dump' on your car, just didn't know myself and thought u'd have some intel / could clarify as a new owner.

I did some digging and it looks like ford revised it extensively; its up there with the nissan VQ architecture and that says a lot.

"Repurposed from its Mustang big brother, this version of Ford’s EcoBoost 4-cyl. pumps out a whopping 155 hp/L, or more specifically 350 hp at 6,000 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. (475 Nm) of peak torque at an easy-access 3,200 rpm.

That combination put the Focus RS right at the top of the most-fun-to-drive list among the cars tested in the 2017 Wards 10 Best Engines competition.

And it isn’t simply a case of stuffing an oversized powerplant into a small car’s engine bay. When we tested the 2.3L two years ago in the Mustang, it made a more modest 310 hp. So in addition to boosting output, Ford had to find a way to manage that load.

That led to an all-new cylinder head, formed from higher-spec aluminum, and higher-tensile iron cylinder liners. The exhaust system also was redesigned specifically for the RS, and Ford upgraded the cooling capacity to better manage the high-output engine’s thermal stress.

The intake system is unique, too, as is the larger twin-scroll turbocharger that increases boost and responsiveness. That’s definitely something we noticed. Power delivery is lively and linear, with no sudden gushes and absolutely no dead zones. All you need to do is “pick the right gear and keep the revs rolling,” notes one judge.

"

2017 Wards 10 Best Engines Winner: Ford Focus RS 2.3L Turbo 4-Cyl. 2017 content from WardsAuto
Apology accepted, thanks for that. 5 years of building multiple sportbikes for pre-imu's, house bs out the ass, lots of 5 figure projects, personal stuff, work stuff, medical. It's been a long road back and all uphill. Just want to enjoy this moment in life.
I like the last sentence in that article.

“More fun to drive than the Porsche Cayman. There, I said it,” admits another.
Motors are built in Valencia Spain by Cosworth, and Cosworth designed the head. Motors are then shipped to Saarlouis, Germany, to put into the cars on the assembly line.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...-details-44000

If you watch the video at the end of that article he says in it "It also lacks pretty much every electronic safety aid made this decade"
Oh how I love that so much. Just traction and stability control, no nannies. We are in the last times before the manus put nannies on everything. Just went through this with bikes, getting my last few before they overcomplicate everything.

Another good link with information.
https://mk3focusrs.club/about-the-ca...st-2-3-engine/

Ford/Cosworth did change to new head bolts and gasket on Sep 1st and forward builds. Mine was built mid November. I don't drive high mileage so it will be 18-24 months before I put the Mountune intake, charge pipes, and aftermarket intercooler in it and tune. Seeing the folks dynoing with those mods (DP and CBE provide little to no gains, and not worth it, only maybe lower wastegate duty) is 375-390 whp and 440 ft lbs on 93 octane. That's 90 more hp and 90 more ft lbs than my Stage 2 STi. Should be a little mini-gtr monster for less than half the price, with a manual. It's a small car and feels small (excellent) banging through turns. I'm just waiting on Ohlins dampers to come out.

Quick Reply: New DD: Ford Focus RS