Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

s2000 vs 06 Cayman S

Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Burmeister isn't even available on the 06-08 Cayman. I thought the Bose was decent in the Cayman, the footwell subwoofer was very efficient. The S2000 stereo is horrible, you can't even hear the radio much less determine if the sound is good quality.
I never turned the radio on in my S2000 this year. The motor is my music.

Had a dalliance with an 06 Cayman while searching for an S2000. Beautiful fast capable car that would cost me my license or worse.

More fun in a slightly slower more involving top down ride in an a2000
Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I know a few people with these Cayman S's and they're very nice cars. Interior is a $60k+ car as others mentioned. The porsche already has a big leg up in terms of sound deadening and fit/finish over a honda, but to top it off the S is a convertible rag top, and the Cayman is a coupe. It's not even a fair comparison for daily putzing around. Space wise, the Cayman feels downright spacious compared to the S. As mentioned, the Cayman's transmission can't compare to the S. Is the S tranny a little more temperamental? Perhaps, but it also feels a lot better. The Cayman is a much better around town/street car hands down with plenty of low end torque, quiet interior, etc.

I never got to drive one on track, but they do come with nice brakes that should hold up better than the S OEM brakes, and the steering feel definitely communicates a lot better than the S. On the downside, there are some concerns with the IMS issues that would probably concern me if it's tracked a lot, and it's a more expensive car (obviously) than an S, so if you put it into a wall, there's more $ down the drain.

They are beautiful cars, and I particularly love the Carrera wheels. Most aftermarket wheels just make the car uglier imo.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
They are beautiful cars, and I particularly love the Carrera wheels. Most aftermarket wheels just make the car uglier imo.
I bought a set of 19" Sport Design wheels for mine.... then lowered it.... then bought wheel spacers. Now I think my brake rotors are a little too small, lol... (first world problems)

I never got to drive one on track, but they do come with nice brakes that should hold up better than the S OEM brakes, and the steering feel definitely communicates a lot better than the S. On the downside, there are some concerns with the IMS issues that would probably concern me if it's tracked a lot, and it's a more expensive car (obviously) than an S, so if you put it into a wall, there's more $ down the drain.
IMS is a bigger issue for garage queen automatics that lug around at low rpm on a Sunday drive. You're far more likely to have an oiling issue than IMS (overblown issue as far as 987 era motors are concerned, IMO). It's a blast on the track too...wish my wallet was willing to go more often.