Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. Older Porsche Boxster S.... Have you owned both?

Old 11-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far Boxsters tank in value over years while S2000 hold their value. I'm waiting for 981 generation to dip below my S2000 price so I can finally sell S, and get 981. lol dream big right?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by termigni
so far Boxsters tank in value over years while S2000 hold their value. I'm waiting for 981 generation to dip below my S2000 price so I can finally sell S, and get 981. lol dream big right?
Sure they hold their value, and I will have another s2000 in my collection at some point, but right now i want a depreciating IMS prone boxster and don't care about the cost lol, just the driving experience
Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thelemur
Thanks but I don't want to inconvenience a private seller like that unless I am really ready to pull the trigger
Then go find one at a dealer and test drive it. I doubt the overlap for these two cars is very big. I am sure the boxster is a fun ride, and if you can afford it, go for it. We can't make up your mind for you.

Originally Posted by thelemur
Sure they hold their value, and I will have another s2000 in my collection at some point, but right now i want a depreciating IMS prone boxster and don't care about the cost lol, just the driving experience
It sounds like you have already made up your mind, and since you have had an S2000 before, when you test drive the boxster, you can decide for yourself if it's the car for you.

Case closed.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:37 AM

OMG... Im looking for someone who has owned both. Why must people post when I clearly asked for people who have had both. I don't need your advice on how to test drive a car! I DONT HAVE A CAR TO TEST DRIVE.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I own an S2000, and have driven/autocrossed a family member's MY00 Boxster S. In a straight line they were nearly identical. As for driving experience... The S2000 is harsher, more frenetic, sharper, more raw. The Boxster S was more composed, more planted, more trustworthy... Ultimately I preferred the S2000 experience more because on the street I don't push it 10/10ths and the feel was enjoyable and at an autocross I can push it 10/10ths and beyond without killing myself - but during DE's the S2000 can be a bit nerve-wracking because it is possible to shoot for only 8/10ths and end up beyond 10/10ths. For a dedicated track car, I'd prefer a Boxster. Street and autox, I prefer the S2000. Said family member replaced the MY00 Boxster S with a MY08 Boxster RS 60 Spyder, but I only drove that briefly on the street. In Sport+ mode with the shocks full stiff it felt more like the S2000 than the Boxster S did. The MY00 DBW throttle was disappointingly laggy, but that was fixed by the time of the MY08. Finally, I did some Porsche Roadshow thing and got to drive a Boxster Spyder (the one with the snap-on cloth roof) for two autocross runs and came away disappointed - not as sharp and lively as I would have liked.

Oh, also, the S2000 is much louder than the Boxster for long drives - but instead of trading the S for a Boxster, I added a BMW to the garage.

Last edited by Elistan; 11-04-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Contact PaulF who had 2 S2000s and now has a Boxster S.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan
I own an S2000, and have driven/autocrossed a family member's MY00 Boxster S. In a straight line they were nearly identical. As for driving experience... The S2000 is harsher, more frenetic, sharper, more raw. The Boxster S was more composed, more planted, more trustworthy... Ultimately I preferred the S2000 experience more because on the street I don't push it 10/10ths and the feel was enjoyable and at an autocross I can push it 10/10ths and beyond without killing myself - but during DE's the S2000 can be a bit nerve-wracking because it is possible to shoot for only 8/10ths and end up beyond 10/10ths. For a dedicated track car, I'd prefer a Boxster. Street and autox, I prefer the S2000. Said family member replaced the MY00 Boxster S with a MY08 Boxster RS 60 Spyder, but I only drove that briefly on the street. In Sport+ mode with the shocks full stiff it felt more like the S2000 than the Boxster S did. The MY00 DBW throttle was disappointingly laggy, but that was fixed by the time of the MY08. Finally, I did some Porsche Roadshow thing and got to drive a Boxster Spyder (the one with the snap-on cloth roof) for two autocross runs and came away disappointed - not as sharp and lively as I would have liked.

Oh, also, the S2000 is much louder than the Boxster for long drives - but instead of trading the S for a Boxster, I added a BMW to the garage.
Thank you!! Very helpful!!

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Contact PaulF who had 2 S2000s and now has a Boxster S.
Great, thank you!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess I cannot help - mine is too new and non-S.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Had a stock AP1 for 3.5 years/22k and my mom has had an '07 base Cayman 5MT (yes, 5) since 2011. I have also briefly driven an '05 Boxster S (same generation) and Cayman R.

The Boxster S will have a little more performance in general, and certainly better torque. It has a planted feel that the S2k lacks, and is less on/off than the S2k - what I mean is, the S2k is always loud and racy, but is either slow (normal driving) or decently quick (driving the crap out of it).

The Porsche's ride is slightly more composed and more comfortable in general, but even my mom's base Cayman isn't what I'd call "soft." If you like the S2k, chances are you'll like the Boxster/Cayman. Different character and driving feel but both dedicated small sports cars. I've always liked them, but just don't know if it's worth roughly twice the price of a decent S2k, which is also far cheaper to drive and maintain (I know you aren't concerned with that, but tracking a dead-reliable Honda with front rotors that are $50 w/Amazon Prime shipping is liberating).
Old 11-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd check on the IMS issue carefully, not sure when the new engine design came but you can read up on it on websites like Rennlist or Pelican parts.

Actual IMS failure rate is probably closer to 5%, reputation of these cars wasn't helped by Porsche stonewalling the issue for years. That being said, a full blown engine failure is north of $15K.

I'm a Porsche guy and think that a Boxster S is actually a better all around ride than the S2000, but not enough better to justify the added expenses.

I'm retired and couldn't enjoy a car while thinking about a $20k motor repair. Found a just traded S2000 while looking at Boxsters, took a test drive and the rest is history

Quick Reply: S2000 vs. Older Porsche Boxster S.... Have you owned both?