Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. Older Porsche Boxster S.... Have you owned both?

Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Had a stock AP1 for 3.5 years/22k and my mom has had an '07 base Cayman 5MT (yes, 5) since 2011. I have also briefly driven an '05 Boxster S (same generation) and Cayman R.

The Boxster S will have a little more performance in general, and certainly better torque. It has a planted feel that the S2k lacks, and is less on/off than the S2k - what I mean is, the S2k is always loud and racy, but is either slow (normal driving) or decently quick (driving the crap out of it).

The Porsche's ride is slightly more composed and more comfortable in general, but even my mom's base Cayman isn't what I'd call "soft." If you like the S2k, chances are you'll like the Boxster/Cayman. Different character and driving feel but both dedicated small sports cars. I've always liked them, but just don't know if it's worth roughly twice the price of a decent S2k, which is also far cheaper to drive and maintain (I know you aren't concerned with that, but tracking a dead-reliable Honda with front rotors that are $50 w/Amazon Prime shipping is liberating).
Thank you, great info! Good point about the tracking cost... I'm about to take my 2014 Viper on the track and the rotors are $2400 a pair :O

Originally Posted by gerry100
I'd check on the IMS issue carefully, not sure when the new engine design came but you can read up on it on websites like Rennlist or Pelican parts.

Actual IMS failure rate is probably closer to 5%, reputation of these cars wasn't helped by Porsche stonewalling the issue for years. That being said, a full blown engine failure is north of $15K.

I'm a Porsche guy and think that a Boxster S is actually a better all around ride than the S2000, but not enough better to justify the added expenses.

I'm retired and couldn't enjoy a car while thinking about a $20k motor repair. Found a just traded S2000 while looking at Boxsters, took a test drive and the rest is history
I will definitely read more about the IMS, right not Im just mentally figuring that I will need to spend $2k to safeguard it, and if i don't then that's a plus..
Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a Boxster but an 06 Cayman S which is a similar platform. The Cayman S feels a lot more refined, better interior, less wind noise, a lot more torque and power, more solid feeling but less raw feeling than the S2000. Surprisingly had some understeer with stock wheels/tires and alignment. To me Boxster S and Cayman S is a step up as a usable sports car but a S2000 might be a little more engaging as a toy.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thelemur
Thank you, great info! Good point about the tracking cost... I'm about to take my 2014 Viper on the track and the rotors are $2400 a pair :O

I will definitely read more about the IMS, right not Im just mentally figuring that I will need to spend $2k to safeguard it, and if i don't then that's a plus..
07 Boxster S should have a very low chance of IMS bearing failure with the updated larger bearing. Not saying it can't happen but it's not like the pre mid 05 cars.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
07 Boxster S should have a very low chance of IMS bearing failure with the updated larger bearing. Not saying it can't happen but it's not like the pre mid 05 cars.
Did they remove it all together in 09 like they did with the 911s?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thelemur
The aftermarket upgrade is not a 100% safeguard as I was saying. Factor in the entire engine cost.

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Did they remove it all together in 09 like they did with the 911s?
Yes. https://www.oregonpca.org/wp-content.../ORPCA-IMS.pdf
Old 11-04-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So nothing new other than my experience: own a 2004 S2000, have driven my best friend's 2004 Boxster S. The Boxster is less noisy, have more torque,more luxury featrues, nicer balance for a mid engine car, even more hp. Both cars are about the same in terms of performance if you push them, I think a less talented driver can get more from the Porsche than the Honda which can easily kill with snap oversteer,etc, perhaps a nod to the Boxster since it has more hp and my cyl, and over some surfaces arguably a nicer ride, more interior room, a nicer top, more features in general depending on what year, etc...and more money than the S2000 unless you go older. The resale is probably better with the honda just due to the availability of a good clean unmolested accident free one with low miles based on what it cost new (mine was 31750 plus tax).

After 13 plus years with the Honda I think the next step for me might be the porsche, either a more recent Boxster S or the less recent 911 cab. More refined.

I love my Honda and have no plans to sell it yet, it's just that there are few "next step" cars from the S2000.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I first looked at the Boxster in 2004 when I bought my S, and have been in and out of them ever since. 2004-2007 I think the AP2 S2000 is a much better car. Minimal Boxster I ever considered as a replacement to the S2000 was 2008 - I think that is the year the power of the standard or S was ~300hp. Porsches have what you'd expect - a bit nicer all around, more solid feeling, more demure, but are still great driving experiences.

As far as being too boring, I don't think you'd be bored in a Boxster. The open top, the mid engine right behind you, and the flat 6, especially with a good intake, are amazing to experience. An SLK, or BMW Z? Yes, you'd be bored - they are "soft", GT cars.

These days, I'd consider a ~2012+ if I needed to, but honestly, I think the AP2 S2000 is still better, which is why I still own one. You had an AP2 so you know all about it, and a Boxster will certainly give you more torque. A Boxster is pretty much the only upgrade path from an S2000 imo. though - they are great cars and there is nothing like them...

... well, maybe the F-Type Jag...
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

You might also try a Z4 M. More similar to the S2000 - long hood/short deck FR layout, high-revving engine, aggressive suspension setup.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, lots of great thoughts here. The newer Boxster GTS is tempting also, but I know it's depreciating at much more rapid rate. I loved my s2000, and I do miss it, but at the time I could care for all the cars I had so I sold it before it went unmaintained. I am hoping the boxster s is basically an s2000 with more torque - i would hate to give up that raw feeling, and that's really what I'm worried about.

The Z4M.. maybe, but might be too soft, but I'm just guessing
Old 11-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at both before buying my S2000. I also own an NSX. The Boxter felt somewhere beteeen the two. But two things disqualified it:

1) Rampant depreciation. It is striking that a like-year S2000 goes for the same amount as a Boxter, even though like-year Boxters typically retailed for TWICE as much. At first that sounds like a good deal. But then you realize that those curves will continue. Net, the S2000 holds its value much better.

2) I have several friends who own Boxters. They need repairs much more frequently than S2000's and those repairs cost much more.

All of that being said, if you really like the Boxter better and can afford upkeep, why not do it anyway? YOLO.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs. Older Porsche Boxster S.... Have you owned both?