Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sell your SUV/Truck

Old 04-26-2006, 04:37 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Sell your SUV/Truck

I'm sick and tired of seeing SUVs and Trucks on the road sucking up gas I could use to go for long drives in my S2000. Now gas is well over $3.00 a gallon again. Oil reserves cannot meet current demand. Choices have to be made and I think we all know where the line needs to be drawn.

Sell your stupid SUVs and trucks and other gas hogs. I don't give a crap why you have one. I don't care that you tow crap around. I don't care that you work in construction and need to carry crap to work. I don't care that you live where it snows. I don't care that you want your wife and kids to be safe. We need to spend $3.20 a gallon so your wife and kids can kill us when they crash into us? Don't bother to defend your SUV or Truck here. Your defense will sound as stupid as your decision to buy an SUV or truck in the first place. Just sell it. Or better yet, scrap it.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I think that soon people will realize how unnecessary they are - the almighty dollar is usually what makes people change their minds. I think that if it is absolutely necessary to own one, i.e. construction work where there really is no better car for the job, that's fine. But the vast majority of SUVs are bought purely for their image. It's a free country and you can drive what you like, but I'd sure like it if people changed their minds about these things.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Apr 26 2006, 04:37 AM]I'm sick and tired of seeing SUVs and Trucks on the road sucking up gas I could use to go for long drives in my S2000.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Apr 26 2006, 08:49 AM

You do realize that if SUVs are "stamped out," the likely next target will be two-seat sports cars that are worthless for carpooling, and use "too much" gas and have "too much" power for their weight/size, right? And that some would argue that a person's right to commute in an SUV is more legitimate than your right to drive for pleasure in your sports car.

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself; I don't want to make (regulate) anyone else's vehicle choice for them, because I don't want anyone else making the choice for me.

Again, sorry if I missed a joke, but your opinion seems ridiculous and selfish.

-Chris, who neither owns or particularly likes SUVs
Forget about it. The sports car is such a tiny niche it makes no impact at all. Plus they get good mileage. The new 'Vette is rated at 28 highway MPG. The two passenger issue is a non issue. over 90% of passenger cars are used for single occupant commuting.

Crush your SUV!!!! If you don't have one, crush someone elses.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:49 AM

Forget about it. The sports car is such a tiny niche it makes no impact at all.
Kyoto would have made almost no impact at all, doesn't mean the greenies weren't screaming for it. Don't think that those who want to stamp out vehicle choice will let little things like facts get in the way of their agenda.

Plus they get good mileage. The new 'Vette is rated at 28 highway MPG.
And the greenies would say it could get a whole bunch more if it didn't have 400hp. Who needs all that unnecessary power, anyway?

The two passenger issue is a non issue. over 90% of passenger cars are used for single occupant commuting.
Not in the greenie fantasy land some want us to live, where all cars are always full of carpoolers.

I say again: as soon as you start regulating other people's automotive choices, there will be those who want to regulate yours. Even if your sports car is perfectly safe, efficient, whatever, there are many who don't see it that way. Think of it as an analogy to speech: if you start regulating someone else's that you don't like, they have a legal leg to stand on to start regulating yours that they don't like. I'm not willing to give up my freedoms, so I don't expect anyone else to give up theirs. Expecting others to sacrifice their freedoms for you to enjoy yours is selfish and short-sighted in the extreme.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I agree with Stack. Last time I checked this was a free country and there are certain inalienable rights we have. One of those is to choose what we drive however ridiculous someone may consider it.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:04 AM

^ Stop gabbing about the radical fringe like they are relevant to this discussion. This is a no politics forum, so go post your thoughts in Politics and stop trying to subvert my thread. Mods, please do not delete or move my thread, just split it and send Chris Stack's comments to the dumpster.

Chris, you are just making up boogey men to scare the people who read this thread. I think you do own an SUV or truck and are prentending to be one of us.

Eventually we will all be driving green vehicles because there will not be any gas left. I am trying to postpone that day as long as possible by getting rid of SUVs and Trucks. Either join me or get the hell out of the way.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 26 2006, 06:04 AM
^ Stop gabbing about the radical fringe like they are relevant to this discussion. This is a no politics forum, so go post your thoughts in Politics and stop trying to subvert my thread. Mods, please do not delete or move my thread, just split it and send Chris Stack's comments to the dumpster.

Chris, you are just making up boogey men to scare the people who read this thread. I think you do own an SUV or truck and are prentending to be one of us.

Eventually we will all be driving green vehicles because there will not be any gas left. I am trying to postpone that day as long as possible by getting rid of SUVs and Trucks. Either join me or get the hell out of the way.
....Riiiiiiiight......

Methinks you've lost your mind.

At any rate, I've posted pics of my (28-34mpg) TSX before, it's pretty far from an SUV.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Apr 26 2006, 09:55 AM
I agree with Stack. Last time I checked this was a free country and there are certain inalienable rights we have. One of those is to choose what we drive however ridiculous someone may consider it.
But that should not stop us from trying to educate the silly foolish people who own SUVs and trucks does it? If I saw you washing your car with gasoline wouldn't it be right for me to tell you how foolish you were to waste and misuse gasoline like that and how other products would work better and save gasoline?

Plus you have no right to choose to drive whatever you want. The government dictates what can be driven on the street and can change the rules whenever they want. So keep the Constitution in the movies where it belongs and go sell your SUV.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Apr 26 2006, 10:07 AM
....Riiiiiiiight......

Methinks you've lost your mind.

At any rate, I've posted pics of my (28-34mpg) TSX before, it's pretty far from an SUV.
Trust me, we are running out of gas. Go look it up.

Quick Reply: Sell your SUV/Truck