Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

subaru wrx

Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts
Default subaru wrx

I'm having issues with my truck and am reaching the point where I need to get into something else and I really want to get something that I will enjoy driving as a daily but have to have awd. I was at the Toyota dealer getting my truck looked at and they happened to have a 16 wrx on the lot that I test drove and did like. I don't have a lot of time to research so was hoping to hear some opinions from people here. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

WRX is good to go IMO. If you like it, get it, why are you asking our opinions?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
I don't know much about them, wondering about things like reliability issues they may have every car make has some downside to it.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Do it. The 2016 has the new direct injected turbo motor from the BRZ/FR-S.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1471292517' post='24040038
I don't know much about them, wondering about things like reliability issues they may have every car make has some downside to it.
Well I don't think anyone here is an expert on Subaru reliability, there have been plenty of threads about it, I would search NASIOC or another Subaru forum for more in depth coverage. I would say that as a brand Subarus are fairly reliable, but certainly they have their quirks. There aren't really any new cars I would steer clear of from a reliability standpoint, but a WRX is one I would probably only buy new. People tend to abuse their WRXs, I know I did....
Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

It's good to go. Just don't go trying to add too much power. The stock map sucks, and you'll need a Cobb AP (stage 1 only) to bring it to life. It's solid.

If it's a 16 you need to make sure it's a premium or LTD. The Base, in 16, doesn't have the inverted struts.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can chime in, I’m on my second Subaru and almost bought a 15 WRX. Also, it’s not the same engine, or a turbo’d engine out of the BRZ. I’ts the FA20DIT that is shared with the Forester XT.

I test drove the 15 WRX, and it was fantastic. You lose the sweet boxer rumble because the new engine has ELH, but that is due to the new twinscroll turbo that really mitigates turbo lag. It handles great, interior is much improved, and I really enjoyed it. Why didn’t I buy it? Glad you asked! The dealer/salesman pissed me off, so 2 days later I bought my current s2000. The guy I bought it off, bought a 2015 STi and is now in my local Subaru club, go figure lol.

I previously owned a 2007 WRX for 2 years and loved it. Decided to sell it to pay off some debt and bought a Tundra, with the expectation of buying a summer toy the following summer (mr2, rx7, etc).

Sold the Tundra because I didn’t use my truck as a truck, and wanted something enjoyable to drive during the Canadian winters. Sold the Tundra and bought an 07 Legacy GT Spec B. Love it, just as good as my old WRX, but rommier with a classier interior. I’ve had it for 2 years and it hasn’t missed a beat. It’s also higher mileage, at 208k km (130ish k miles?).

Hope this sheds some light. These cars typically are reliable, especially stock. I check the oil every time I get gas in both my cars. A 2016 WRX will be a great car for a long time. You’ll have warranty, and then when it expires, COBB has been getting some fantastic numbers for stage 1 and 2.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the standard warranty good for 60,000 miles (or up to 5 years) powertrain, 36,000 mi/3 yrs for non-powertrain.

Keep the car stock enough that the warranty will be valid, and you should be fine--if something goes wrong they'd have to fix it unless they can prove you abused the car. If I can afford a new car right now, I'd seriously consider it myself. Would be a great addition to my ap2.

Green light from me, just get the best deal you can. Hopefully though you won't need the extra clearance that your truck provides, in that case I'd look at other options for a dd.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 2013 Hatch as my DD, and I absolutely loved it. I "upgraded" to a 2015 Sedan, and in every single sense of the word it was an upgrade. Nicer interior, faster, handled better...for every measurable metric it was a better car.

But I hated it. It was just a sedan. There was nothing "cool" or different about it. Nothing that made it stand out in anyway. So I sold it and upgraded to an 08 135i that I upgraded to FBO. This car is what the Prelude should have been. Best DD I've ever owned.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by coop3422
I can chime in, I’m on my second Subaru and almost bought a 15 WRX. Also, it’s not the same engine, or a turbo’d engine out of the BRZ. I’ts the FA20DIT that is shared with the Forester XT.
It is the same engine as the BRZ with different pistons and a turbo setup. An FA20 is an FA20 just like an EJ20 is an EJ20.

Quick Reply: subaru wrx