Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about an F350 - possibly a duely

Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have not driven any duely for a long time but I agree with JonBoy. They are just awful to drive unless you have to pull something heavy. They do not like to turn. At all. Any tight spaces are a huge headache.

If you don't need a work truck, you might get the high some people like my friend gets driving a big truck in that he thinks it makes him a big burly man, but they just suck at everything not related to heavy duty work.

If you enjoy driving I think you will regret your purchase within two months unless you have some real work for the truck. You might get a kick out of crop dusting people with soot which I see rednecks try to do once in a while but I can't see that it would validate the purchase. You know someone pisses them off in traffic so they step on it. Then wait for it, wait for it, wait for it..........the truck starts to take off and pours black stuff on the person behind them. Yipee.

If you want something to try tailgate people in traffic, you are far better off with just a good full size pick up for cost, upkeep, comfort and drivability.

The only way I would ever want one was if I was a rancher in rural Texas. Seriously, if you have this in the stable for occasional trips to work you will come out of the house and always want to pick a different car. I drove a big Isuzu box truck with a hydraulic lift on it in college and that was way more fun than a duely, and it was not much fun at all.
Noted. So are there full-size pickup trucks that have diesels that aren't all the bad things the 350 is? I'm definitely new to trucks, so these are dumb questions I realize. I've also realized s2ki seems to hate trucks hahaha. I've had a redneck do the smoke thingy a while ago but it was pretty easy to just mash the gas and get away from them. I'm not bitter to the very end against all trucks because of it.

Regarding using it for tailgating...um definitely not. And here here in NOVA people tailgate in anything from a smartcar, to motorcycle, to a minivan. It sucks.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Also, are all 350s diesel?
No. They are available with V8 or V10 gas engines, at least the current models.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by GSteg
No. They are available with V8 or V10 gas engines, at least the current models.
Gotcha. I'm not dedicated to any particular brand, so I'm searching cars.com for pretty much anything from Toyota to Chevy, etc. It's hard trying to figure out which models have diesels.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You might want to try one of these if you don't really need a diesel for really heavy loads.
With the 6.2 at 420hp it really is a lot of fun and rides GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about an F350 - possibly a duely-20160515_145148.jpg   Thinking about an F350 - possibly a duely-20160515_145131.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Noted. So are there full-size pickup trucks that have diesels that aren't all the bad things the 350 is? I'm definitely new to trucks, so these are dumb questions I realize. I've also realized s2ki seems to hate trucks hahaha. I've had a redneck do the smoke thingy a while ago but it was pretty easy to just mash the gas and get away from them. I'm not bitter to the very end against all trucks because of it.

Regarding using it for tailgating...um definitely not. And here here in NOVA people tailgate in anything from a smartcar, to motorcycle, to a minivan. It sucks.
I am not a personal fan of driving a truck but not a hater either. My point is if you just want a pickup for something different lots of great full size options without going overboard unless the extra coin does not matter to you. I mean you can get the standard Ram/Silverado/F150 crew cab with all the cargo/towing you will ever need and the full size experience without making it just a dull experience.

The only problem I have with trucks are the minority of drivers who think they are a battering ram to shove other people out of the way with and drive like dicks. I will move over if I see you coming but you don't have to fly up at ninety and ride my ass or just tailgate me from a stop light because they are douche bags. The "You need to get the eff out of my way cause I have a big car" crowd.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I will chime in. I recently started keeping a truck in the fleet for the first time a few years ago. I wanted to be able to haul two cars to the track instead of just one (SUV's sufficed until now). I am on my second Dodge Ram, a crew cab, bighorn package, 2500 with a cummins and a long bed. I previously had a 2013 3500 Tradesman (stripper model) with a short bed. Having a truck is fantastic. I use it for hunting, transporting my four wheeler and motorcycles, hardware store runs, property maintenance and generally just moving shit around, in addition to hauling the trailer. It is also my winter DD by default. Here is my advice:

-Do not get a 3500/350/1-ton unless you really need it, because they ride horribly. The 2500 Rams have a coil rear suspension and are MUCH smoother. I added timbrens and the truck is very capable in terms of load.
-Get the diesel, especially if you want to haul a trailer.
-I cannot comment on manufacturers, except to say that Dodge's are generally $10k cheaper than the equivalent Ford or Chevy. I didn't need to look any further!
-Get a long bed if you really want to use it as a truck. With a short bed, I could't even shut the tailgate when my bike or atv was in the back. The short bed looks better, but isn't very functional.
-A subaru is better in the snow. My truck will get me wherever with studded snows, but it still isn't as stable as a Subaru and doesn't have as much traction.
-Dually: not for me. I need 4 lanes to make a U-turn as it is. I have towed 18000 lbs effortlessly, so I don't really see the need.
-I disagree with JonBoy. They are not all that expensive to own. Discounts on new ones are absurd ($15-20k). Diesel trucks have PHENOMENAL resale, at least where I live. Overall cost of ownership is very low. That said, diesels require fuel filter changes regularly. Easy DIY job.
-In some strange way, it actually can be fun to drive. The cummins has a nice feel to it when it loads up. I enjoy hot-rodding mine around with full 4-wheel drifts in the snow.
-If you don't really need a truck, seriously consider something like a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel, or a Tundra, or that new Nissan with the V8 Cummins. If a pickup will suffice, you don't want to sacrifice comfort in a 3/4+ ton.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the input. I also just learned it's "dually", not "duely". I am slowing climbing out of noobie truck status...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Thanks for the input. I also just learned it's "dually", not "duely". I am slowing climbing out of noobie truck status...
I should have known better but I just copied your spelling.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

There is nothing satisfying or interesting about an F-350 unless you're working it. It's just a big, hulking piece of metal on wheels. It literally sucks to drive. It's too rough when unloaded and too slow when loaded.

Seriously, get a vintage car or something. It'll be "interesting" without being ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a long time I never saw the appeal of daily driving huge pickup trucks (had a slight disdain for them, even), and while I still cannot say there's any logic to it, I too have recently become interested in picking one as a semi-daily.

I've only ever owned small, agile cars and the inevitable boredom/automotive ADHD is pushing me towards something "different" this time. I think the polar opposite characteristics of a big brutish pickup would satisfy that itch.

I couldn't give up my cars to drive a truck exclusively, but as an occasional driver I think the contrast would be entertaining.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an F350 - possibly a duely