Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VTEC Turbo motors built in U.S. In 2015!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VTEC Turbo motors built in U.S. In 2015!

Did anyone read the fine print under Honda's FCV announcement?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/h...-detroit-2015/

Honda is going to start building turbo motors at its Ohio plant in 2015!!! To me this is bigger news than the FCV!

Which car do you think will get the turbo treatment first?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Honda said they were going to go increasingly turbo years ago. If they build turbo vtec motors that are 1.5 liters and stick them into Civic's I can not see how this will get me that excited. If they build a decent 2.0 liter turbo, well then, welcome to 20 years ago. Nice 2.0 liter turbos have been around for over two decades.

If Honda came up with an exciting car, I have no doubt they could build a great engine and shove it in if they wanted to. But just building engines that have turbos with no car with a real pulse to speak of does not get me excited.

The V6 they are putting in the Accord is a nice engine and they could have built a really fun Prelude type coupe with much sportier intentions than the Accord if they wanted to, but they don't. So the fact that they will build an engine with a turbo slapped on it, and then nueter it and slap it into a boring car does nothing for me.

I love Honda and their ability to build cars that you can't break with a rocket launcher, but even the fact that they will build an NSX does nothing for me until they want to build a sporty car for the great unwashed. Maybe they can stick a 1.2 liter turbo into the CRZ.

If I were into tuning Civics, then sure, a turbo motor would get me excited because it will have more potential then just farty pipes and a VAFC.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Considering many mfr's have been doing this for years I'd say Honda is late, as usual.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So far the new NSX sounds pretty cool with the turbo motor + electric motors.
Wonder if they could downscale that and put it in some exciting cars that are less out of reach for the average car enthusiast.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Rumour (!!!!) is that an NSX Jr coupe is coming, without AWD and electric motors and such. Basically, just RWD and a turbo engine. I don't know that it makes sense but it would appeal more to me, both in price and simplicity. It would spread out their production costs and also derive some brand equity beyond the NSX itself.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Considering many mfr's have been doing this for years I'd say Honda is late, as usual.
That's true, but Honda builds higher quality cars than VW, Ford, Subaru, Hyundai and Mazda. It would be great to be able to buy a fun car and know that it will last like my S2000 has.

Here's another rumor about a Turbo Civic:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...vic-on-the-way
Old 01-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Rumour (!!!!) is that an NSX Jr coupe is coming, without AWD and electric motors and such. Basically, just RWD and a turbo engine.
If it is also a midengine layout then I am all ears.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
If they build a decent 2.0 liter turbo, well then, welcome to 20 years ago. Nice 2.0 liter turbos have been around for over two decades.
Haha, very true, but with the exception of the EVO (which is a 4dr and now discontinued), there aren't many 2l turbo offerings worth getting excited about, imo. The old school DSM motors stuffed in the 1g/2g eclipses were solid, but the trannies were junk, and the cars handled like crap. Closest thing to a 2l turbo fun car would be the 240sx, but it didn't even come w/ the sr20 in the states.. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't think so. The BRZ/FRS was supposed to be the next fun sports coupe but it's too damn slow. I guess the 350/370 is a decent RWD coupe, but it's a bit on the heavy side.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1421248567' post='23467785
If they build a decent 2.0 liter turbo, well then, welcome to 20 years ago. Nice 2.0 liter turbos have been around for over two decades.
Haha, very true, but with the exception of the EVO (which is a 4dr and now discontinued), there aren't many 2l turbo offerings worth getting excited about, imo. The old school DSM motors stuffed in the 1g/2g eclipses were solid, but the trannies were junk, and the cars handled like crap. Closest thing to a 2l turbo fun car would be the 240sx, but it didn't even come w/ the sr20 in the states.. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't think so. The BRZ/FRS was supposed to be the next fun sports coupe but it's too damn slow. I guess the 350/370 is a decent RWD coupe, but it's a bit on the heavy side.

The Bimmer 2.0 liter turbo N20/26 engine is great, but I get that the price of admission is high. The mitsu is a nice engine but they are pretty much dead in the US.

I loved my 3sgte engine in my 1991 Toyota MR2 turbo. I wish Toyota would get back into turbos and sports cars too.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda is just talking about turbo.

Volvo is planning to get all their cars to turbo and super charged on their 2L engine. First one being the 2016 XC90.

Quick Reply: VTEC Turbo motors built in U.S. In 2015!