Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which sub-$20k car should I buy for track/daily?
Used BRZ/FRS
43.48%
E36 M3
0%
E46 M3
17.39%
E46 330i ZHP
0%
Something else
39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

What daily/track car should I buy?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Ah, well I'd ditch the back seat requirement and just find a higher mileage S2000 then. I would also recommend an E36 M3 but...

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
E36 is a 15+ year old car at best and most are 20 years old. If you get one get ready to spend some money to update all the bushings, shocks, cooling system, leaking oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, guibo, saggy glove box door and all the other fun old 3 series items.
...this is all valid and not cheap depending on how much you have to pay someone else to do. I briefly had a super clean E36 M3 before my S2K and it still needed cooling system overhaul before I was comfortable even auto crossing it. They're super fun cars but not Honda reliable or cheap. Definitely a better daily driver than the S2000, and friendlier at the limit, but I've never missed my E36 while driving my AP2 hard. Of course, if you get a really cheap one there's a good chance you'll still come out ahead financially compared to a BRZ or S2K.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
E36 is a 15+ year old car at best and most are 20 years old. If you get one get ready to spend some money to update all the bushings, shocks, cooling system, leaking oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, guibo, saggy glove box door and all the other fun old 3 series items.
Originally Posted by JamesD89
Ah, well I'd ditch the back seat requirement and just find a higher mileage S2000 then. I would also recommend an E36 M3 but...

...this is all valid and not cheap depending on how much you have to pay someone else to do. I briefly had a super clean E36 M3 before my S2K and it still needed cooling system overhaul before I was comfortable even auto crossing it. They're super fun cars but not Honda reliable or cheap. Definitely a better daily driver than the S2000, and friendlier at the limit, but I've never missed my E36 while driving my AP2 hard. Of course, if you get a really cheap one there's a good chance you'll still come out ahead financially compared to a BRZ or S2K.
There are a small number of enthusiast-owned E36 M3's I've seen on Craigslist that have supposedly addressed the cooling system, bushings, etc. and have good maintenance history. It wouldn't be easy but I think I can find a good one if I'm patient. I daily drove my AP2 a few years back and found the lack of storage space pretty annoying.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98-05 Lexus IS300.

Fits your bill and will leave you with enough money left over to modify for the track. Could go 2JZ-GE or Beams motor too. Also, you can get this version in a shooting brake if that is your cup of tea....
Old 02-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurex
98-05 Lexus IS300.

Fits your bill and will leave you with enough money left over to modify for the track. Could go 2JZ-GE or Beams motor too. Also, you can get this version in a shooting brake if that is your cup of tea....
That's a good one I also considered! Should be more reliable than the E36, but heavier and less power stock. The shooting brake/wagon version only comes in automatic, IIRC. There's an L-Tuned version that comes with a few nice handling/power bits but pretty hard to find.

So what's the general consensus on E36 M3 vs IS300? Has anyone here owned or driven both?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
1) Under $20k new or used
2) RWD highly preferred
3) Manual transmission
4) Backseat preferred
5) Not a Miata, e.g. has at least 200hp
6) Reliable and reasonably cheap to maintain

I realize it will be hard to fit all 6 criteria, but I'm open to suggestions for any car that fits 4 or more!
Kinda shooting for the moon here... you want a decently powerful RWD car that's cheap to buy, fun to drive on the track, suitable for daily driving duties, seats 4 or 5 adults, and is still both reliable and cheap to maintain - while doing 5-6 track days a year. Let me know when you find that unicorn...

IMO, your best bet for $20k would be to spend a few/several grand on a track day special miata, and put the rest towards a gently used 4-seater for daily duty.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM

What about an early 996? You can pick one up for under $20k nowadays and get the IMS issues are supposedly more prevalent on the later 3.6L motors. It fits all of your criteria except the cheap to maintain part of number 6. Supposedly reliable, just far from cheap to fix if something goes
Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RX8
Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 1,107 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Kinda shooting for the moon here... you want a decently powerful RWD car that's cheap to buy, fun to drive on the track, suitable for daily driving duties, seats 4 or 5 adults, and is still both reliable and cheap to maintain - while doing 5-6 track days a year. Let me know when you find that unicorn...

IMO, your best bet for $20k would be to spend a few/several grand on a track day special miata, and put the rest towards a gently used 4-seater for daily duty.
or get a shifter cart, and a minivan/4 door pickup truck.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesD89
What about an early 996? You can pick one up for under $20k nowadays and get the IMS issues are supposedly more prevalent on the later 3.6L motors. It fits all of your criteria except the cheap to maintain part of number 6. Supposedly reliable, just far from cheap to fix if something goes
Actually the 996 911s (non-Mezger engines), and 986 Boxsters of that era were the absolutely worst as far the IMS problems. These are smack dab in the middle of the group covered by the class action lawsuit. The GT3 and turbo motors are Mezgers, and don't have the IMS problem. But those are still a bit more than $20k...
Old 02-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Actually the 996 911s (non-Mezger engines), and 986 Boxsters of that era were the absolutely worst as far the IMS problems. These are smack dab in the middle of the group covered by the class action lawsuit. The GT3 and turbo motors are Mezgers, and don't have the IMS problem. But those are still a bit more than $20k...
I was under the impression that the dual row IMS bearings were actually more reliable than the later single row bearings? The dual row bearings came on the very early production models for the 996 and 986 (would be 1999 to maybe 2000?). The original dual-row cars (01-05?) have the highest failure rate.

There's a chance I'm wrong here, but I spent a lot of timing researching this 2ish years ago when I looking for a replacement for my E36. Ended up with a S2000 though

Quick Reply: What daily/track car should I buy?