Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What is the ideal car to pair with your sports car?
a sedan
26.83%
an SUV / station wagon
37.07%
a pickup truck
29.27%
a minivan
1.95%
whatever gets the highest mpg
4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

What is the ideal car to pair with your sports car?

Old 01-14-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default What is the ideal car to pair with your sports car?

So you own a sports car, maybe even a Honda S2000.

What do you pair it with to get the most use our of your vehicle fleet?
Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now its a sedan for me. I currently have a Cadillac ATS but the past two years I have had a Toyota Tacoma, Toyota 4Runner, Mazda Miata, Nissan Xterra, Honda Civic RT4WD, Subaru WRX, Subaru Impreza, and Nissan Pathfinder as daily drivers/primary cars.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

For me, it's my LX570. Man, the more I drive it, the more I like it. It's just an extremely well made smooth, tank-like Lexus vehicle that can bomb down the road at 95mph+ (I've had it to an indicated 138mph which is 1mph higher than it's rated top speed and besides a little wind noise, it was rock solid) at a high comfort level or you can do some major off-roading if needed or get through almost any condition. Factor in the highest average reliability of ANY car with awesome resale value and I plan on keeping it forever.

Sure, I miss driving a CTS-V or a fast muscle sedan, but for the daily slog and anything else I want to throw at it, it's about perfect. It does get 14-15mpg on average, but whatever with current gas prices and even with gas prices getting bad again, I have a gas card from work. haha.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Ecoboost F150 for utility.

High mpg beater for commute.

Voted for the truck.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

That's the million dollar question.

I sold my Highlander for a 328i and on a daily basis LOVE that car a million times more that driving a truck or SUV. My average mileage is 27mpg with a high of 38.6, it has some decent power and is fairly fun to drive, long distance comfortable, full of bells and whistles and has the best AWD I have ever had bar none.

But we just switched houses and during the moving process had to make a hundred runs to Home Depot/Lowes in the sedan and like to do an occasional project around the house. For those I either get it delivered, or rent the store's truck for an hour or two, which is a pain in the ass, but it does work pretty well.

I really prefer my choice even though the convenience of the SUV was nice, daily fun trumps SUV dull by a mile.

I do have to say though, three big things play into the choice that your poll does not take into account that maybe people want to add in to their reply.

Do you tow? (no)
Do you have kids? (no)
Do you encounter lots of snow (yes)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by VTECJUSTKICKEDINYO
but the past two years I have had a Toyota Tacoma, Toyota 4Runner, Mazda Miata, Nissan Xterra, Honda Civic RT4WD, Subaru WRX, Subaru Impreza, and Nissan Pathfinder as daily drivers/primary cars.
Wow, that is a different car for about every two and a half months.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by vader1
That's the million dollar question.

I sold my Highlander for a 328i and on a daily basis LOVE that car a million times more that driving a truck or SUV. My average mileage is 27mpg with a high of 38.6, it has some decent power and is fairly fun to drive, long distance comfortable, full of bells and whistles and has the best AWD I have ever had bar none.

But we just switched houses and during the moving process had to make a hundred runs to Home Depot/Lowes in the sedan and like to do an occasional project around the house. For those I either get it delivered, or rent the store's truck for an hour or two, which is a pain in the ass, but it does work pretty well.

I really prefer my choice even though the convenience of the SUV was nice, daily fun trumps SUV dull by a mile.

I do have to say though, three big things play into the choice that your poll does not take into account that maybe people want to add in to their reply.

Do you tow? (no)
Do you have kids? (no)
Do you encounter lots of snow (yes)
Do you tow? I want to
Do you have kids? coming in a few years
Do you encounter lots of snow - not lots, but some

F150 supercrew 4x4 ftw!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

If I'm single, I'd say a sedan of some sort.

If I'm married, probably a pickup truck for the inevitable hauling of furniture, home reno materials, lumber, potting soil, etc, etc, that is bound to occur.

If I'm married with kids, go straight to minivan (despite the fact that I continue to fight it for at least two more years).
Old 01-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
If I'm single, I'd say a sedan of some sort.

If I'm married, probably a pickup truck for the inevitable hauling of furniture, home reno materials, lumber, potting soil, etc, etc, that is bound to occur.

If I'm married with kids, go straight to minivan (despite the fact that I continue to fight it for at least two more years).
The wife and I had the minivan vs suv debate...decided on the suv...then talked her into the F150. The trick is to just get them to drive it, that's all it took for me. She loves it. Just make sure it's got all the nice bells and whistles.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

For now two sedans. My wife has a TSX along with my Civic. We are getting her a RDX sometime this year, then eventually we are adding a used small truck to the stable too, but it will be driven sparingly outside of the winter months.

For all intents and purposes I don't like driving SUVs and trucks. They have a driving experience that far and away trumps their ability to be more useful than a mid-size or small sedan. I need something for daily use that handles, rides, brakes, better than a SUV or truck can.

And mini-vans? LOL, my wife and I have a household policy that they are forbidden.

Quick Reply: What is the ideal car to pair with your sports car?