Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Dealers' economy with the truth

Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keyCuk
I drove all the way from Brighton to Nottingham (400 mile round trip)to look at an s2000 a couple of weeks ago.
The lying morons said it was in great condition mechanically with loads of bills and service history but a few easoly sorted cosmetic issues.
I got there, Gave it a good check over and long test drive. The clutch was slipping and the brakes were all over the place. They said after the test drive there was no negotiation on the price, then when they took off the hard top the roof underneath was completely ruined and leaking like a sieve!
They also couldn't understand why I was walking away.
In the end I bought one privately from 20 miles away.
Wasn't green by any chance
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I''ll sell that for twice what i asked you

Kidding

I too dislike dealers.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Equally, i never had any issue with passing them a royal turd of a trade in over the years so it works both ways. That said, comparing WBAC prices for the last 2 i've traded in, WBAC would have been a better deal and then you can walk into a dealer armed with cash. Worth bearing in mind. I would use WBAC again if the general experience is the same as the Stevenage one.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:28 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Equally, i never had any issue with passing them a royal turd of a trade in over the years so it works both ways. That said, comparing WBAC prices for the last 2 i've traded in, WBAC would have been a better deal and then you can walk into a dealer armed with cash. Worth bearing in mind. I would use WBAC again if the general experience is the same as the Stevenage one.
Virtually all dealers are liars.

Most private sellers are clueless about cars.

And in the trade-in scenario the dealer is the expert.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Seems odd that WBAC should now have a better rep than most stealers!

I've seen a couple of NSXs go that way recently - end up at a "bespoke-prestige" stealers with a 20 bag mark-up the following week. Which is a shame...
Old 10-21-2016, 01:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've recently sold my S4 privately, both of us were car enthusiasts, I listed at a market realistic price, he paid the price. It was an ultra smooth deal.

The car was well historied, looked after, everything needed was bought for it, i.e. Continentals all round, new discs, pads, full dealer history (for what that's work ).

When both sides know the drill, the sale is very, very smooth.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:08 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I think with WBAC - it's a transparent process, they are buying off you and the price they give you intially comes down with every fault they find. As long as you are taking in something where you base your expectation on the condition they will find it in .. it's fairly painless.

As i said, trade in prices seem to be markedly worse.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:49 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Funnily enough, my mother is picking a new car tomorrow. She's picking it up from a VW dealer 75 miles from her even though there is a dealer about half a mile from her. Here's why:
  1. After a test drive, she used carwow to get some prices. A 20% discount was offered by the 75 mile dealer, including collection of the trade in (more a scrap car than anything else) and delivery of the new one.
  2. Local dealer was offered a chance to match the price.
  3. She was told that "we don't match quotes"
  4. She was told that any warranty work would have to be carried out by the 75 mile dealer (a total lie)
  5. She was told that 75 mile dealer would be making a loss (another total lie)
  6. Various "in stock" cars were offered in the wrong colour and with the wrong options, all for more money than the car she wanted
A story of 2 dealers, I guess...
Old 10-21-2016, 03:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the 'dealer making a loss' line! Like that's your mother's problem...

I think these people have their alimentary canals wired backwards.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I've recently sold my S4 privately, both of us were car enthusiasts, I listed at a market realistic price, he paid the price. It was an ultra smooth deal.

The car was well historied, looked after, everything needed was bought for it, i.e. Continentals all round, new discs, pads, full dealer history (for what that's work ).

When both sides know the drill, the sale is very, very smooth.
I'm inclined to agree. I rarely have a car for sale for more than a week or two

Most of mine are older and self-serviced/maintained with a sprinkling of receipts from garages for more complex work but there are plenty of buyers for these cars. They are reassured by someone who has owned the car and knows its foibles. I find it an advantage to list all faults (mostly jobs that would be nice to do idc in reality) even if you have to be careful not to make the car sound bad.

Dealers just can't bring themselves to tell the truth. The best you can hope for is a slightly misleading or understated description of the problem. So deep scratches requiring paint are "what you would expect with a ten year old car", air con can always be fixed with a re-gas and electrical problems are "just a sensor" or "£10 for the part on ebay". More often than not, the faults won't be declared at all.

ATEOTD it will be price. Everything sells if you're not greedy.

Quick Reply: Dealers' economy with the truth