Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Dealers' economy with the truth

Old 10-21-2016, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
I think with WBAC - it's a transparent process, they are buying off you and the price they give you intially comes down with every fault they find. As long as you are taking in something where you base your expectation on the condition they will find it in .. it's fairly painless.

As i said, trade in prices seem to be markedly worse.
I haven't really thought about it much but I'm struggling to find anything I don't like about WBAC.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1477044489' post='24088932
I think with WBAC - it's a transparent process, they are buying off you and the price they give you intially comes down with every fault they find. As long as you are taking in something where you base your expectation on the condition they will find it in .. it's fairly painless.

As i said, trade in prices seem to be markedly worse.
I haven't really thought about it much but I'm struggling to find anything I don't like about WBAC.
At the end of the day their price is computer generated off live auction data (they are owned by BCA after all). It is what is, take it or leave it but at least there's no BS from car salesmen in the process.

I've never sold to WBAC but their price is a great starting point in negotiations.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' timestamp='1477043610' post='24088929
I've recently sold my S4 privately, both of us were car enthusiasts, I listed at a market realistic price, he paid the price. It was an ultra smooth deal.

The car was well historied, looked after, everything needed was bought for it, i.e. Continentals all round, new discs, pads, full dealer history (for what that's work ).

When both sides know the drill, the sale is very, very smooth.
I'm inclined to agree. I rarely have a car for sale for more than a week or two

Most of mine are older and self-serviced/maintained with a sprinkling of receipts from garages for more complex work but there are plenty of buyers for these cars. They are reassured by someone who has owned the car and knows its foibles. I find it an advantage to list all faults (mostly jobs that would be nice to do idc in reality) even if you have to be careful not to make the car sound bad.

Dealers just can't bring themselves to tell the truth. The best you can hope for is a slightly misleading or understated description of the problem. So deep scratches requiring paint are "what you would expect with a ten year old car", air con can always be fixed with a re-gas and electrical problems are "just a sensor" or "£10 for the part on ebay". More often than not, the faults won't be declared at all.

ATEOTD it will be price. Everything sells if you're not greedy.

Exactly right. Price. Be realistic and a week will normally sell a well advertised car.

The s4 was on for 3 days, first real enquiry was day 3 and sold to the enquirer. I always look at the market, comparing condition and mileage. My car will always be listed at the true market value for the condition and consequently, it always goes. As an example, wbac offered 15.4 and private sale was 18. However, if I had still had the car for a month, it would have been sold either to wbac or a trader, should the private market no have responded.

I've had lots of cars and everything has sold privately. Never part exed once.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Hopefully a car of that price ought to deter some of the utter mongtards you get phoning up in respect of cheaper ones. They get offended by my response, for good reason.

That's the only drawback of private sales.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Hopefully a car of that price ought to deter some of the utter mongtards you get phoning up in respect of cheaper ones. They get offended by my response, for good reason.

That's the only drawback of private sales.
Email/message only if using ebay. If someone regards that as too much hassle they aren't seriously interested. Furthermore, if they can't string a sentence together, my experience tells me they will be hassle. If it has to be a phone number then a private one will deter some and "wotz ur best price mate, innit?" or "I'll give you £500 cash today" types can be ignored and blocked. Back to ebay, no bids without prior viewing weeds out a lot of back bedroom pissed up bidders/chancers. Certain social groups cannot stop themselves trying to renegotiate even at the point of the handover or afterwards so if they can be identified at the start they don't get to be part of the game either.

Personal phone number, 99p start, anyone allowed to bid, etc is just asking for trouble.

Back o/t I was listening to the spiel from Car Large Person Think Cyclops the other night. They were selling a car to a relative. They reminded me a bit of cold readers. Even when they're wrong they're right.