Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

A few days ago I bought...

Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Suspect it's what you get used to .... Mid twenties at best it seems unless you are really really light footed.

edit: Speaking to a mate who has one, he reckons high teens as an overall average, still, not chronically expensive and apparently up to 30ish when cruising.

10k for a low mileage (30k) one owner 2008 car with the 312bhp engine, soft top, all the electrical toys and the nice wheels ...... utter bargain. And a nicer place to be than a margarine tub from Hethel to boot.

Last edited by unclefester; 12-08-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi

iirc oem control arms were more like £250 each and pattern parts have a very bad rep. They do pop up for sale cheaper though. You also need a new cone washer for each side.

SUL is a bit of a pain but I didn't think my car was particularly thirsty.
I'd probably get the poly bush kit if push came to shove. The £125 was indeed for a pattern part.

Yeah, the super is expensive but it isn't that bad. I'm hoping for about 24-25mpg from it. I used to get 21mpg from the S but I'm a little more reserved these days.

Originally Posted by unclefester
Suspect it's what you get used to .... Mid twenties at best it seems unless you are really really light footed.

edit: Speaking to a mate who has one, he reckons high teens as an overall average, still, not chronically expensive and apparently up to 30ish when cruising.

10k for a low mileage (30k) one owner 2008 car with the 312bhp engine, soft top, all the electrical toys and the nice wheels ...... utter bargain. And a nicer place to be than a margarine tub from Hethel to boot.
I was getting 18.5mpg on the way to work, butt hen I was stuck in traffic for 30 mins on a journey that should take about 50 mins tops! From my experience so far, stay away from short journeys. The Mrs seems to have done about 20 miles and used 1/4 tank!
Old 12-09-2016, 03:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a Skyline (Infiniti G35/37?) version for Sprogs and Durgs...

Good choice, Ron!
The following users liked this post:
Ultra_Nexus (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
I'd probably get the poly bush kit if push came to shove. The £125 was indeed for a pattern part.

Yeah, the super is expensive but it isn't that bad. I'm hoping for about 24-25mpg from it. I used to get 21mpg from the S but I'm a little more reserved these days.

I was getting 18.5mpg on the way to work, butt hen I was stuck in traffic for 30 mins on a journey that should take about 50 mins tops! From my experience so far, stay away from short journeys. The Mrs seems to have done about 20 miles and used 1/4 tank!
I'm sure you'll get more mpg out of it once the car isn't new anymore

I now do a 30 mile commute in the m3, should be 35 mins but is close to an hour most afternoons and I average 24.7, not bad for a big old 4L v8
Old 12-09-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting good choice and great price. Is a lard arse s2000 or nothing like t?

I remember when these first come up and they weren't really that much quicker than my s2000 in a straight line but I think they were only 280 bhp then, looks like they've had a massive power hike now.

Out of interest, Is there much scope for more power out of this engine?

I don't like the 370z there's something about it I can't put my finger on.

Last edited by s2konroids; 12-09-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Ultra_Nexus (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Interesting good choice and great price. Is a lard arse s2000 or nothing like t?

I remember when these first come up and they weren't really that much quicker than my s2000 in a straight line but I think they were only 280 bhp then, looks like they've had a massive power hike now.

Out of interest, Is there much scope for more power out of this engine?

I don't like the 370z there's something about it I can't put my finger on.
It's certainly not as pointy or agile as an S2000, but then it is 1/4 ton heavier!

That said it has good manners and grips well. It's much more composed than even an >04 S2000 when going over bumps.

The VQ35HR does have decent room for improvement. The HR engine has been redesigned and includes much larger big ends and main bearing to take increased loading. When tuned, they rev them to over 8k, but the stroke is only 81mm (84 on an F20C). The cams on VQs crap (as in mild) so you can, apparently, net 25-30bhp. The easiest way to extract more is for decats, exhaust and a tune.

The forum guys call it an 'Uprev' tune, but in reality it's ECU flashing software you can get a license for and then remap the OEM ECU. It's called Osiris and is about $800 for a license.

All VQ35/37/38 engines respond well to tuning and from factory they are nerfed in 1st/2nd gear and the throttle won't open fully. Decats, exhaust and a tune sees 20-25bhp.

Again, according the the forums, these cars don't make factory power as standard. 310bhp from mine probably means 290-295 actual bhp.

More than that, the tune unleashes a good spread of power over the rev range, not just top end glory.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Nissan 370 Z 3.7 Black Edition 2dr STILLEN SUPERCHARGER - 453 B PETROL 2010/10 | eBay

450bhp

i get 18-20 from the M3, 18 from the SC S2000 so mid 20s would be respectable imo
Old 12-10-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

from me, very good choice indeed. A mate of mine has one and they are very capable cars. Performance wise on a straight (private) road there was very little in it between the 350Z and the S2000, however in day to day use it is probably quicker due to all that torque.
One of the few cars I would consider if I ever sold my s2.
Ultra_Nexus (12-10-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Fitted new brakes and tyres the other day. Federal RSR 595s, Grooved/dimpled discs and EBC Orangestuff (Their most aggressive pad) pads.

Name:  IMG_20161210_145150_zpsaavi9hn6.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  115.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20161210_145205_zpsfgegeibp.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  113.4 KB

Wow!! Went up the Cat N Fiddle with new brakes and new tyres. Once they get a bit of heat into them both they REALLY come alive (245/35/18 all round rather than the usual 225f 245r stagger). In addition, the square setup I'm now running means the front end has bags of grip and transforms the car.

Name:  2fac966a-9798-40ce-aa05-d7440fb16714_zpsmoy8v17j.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  254.4 KB

All of this allowed me to lean on the suspension and get a real feel of the car dynamic.

The steering has more feel than the S, that's a dead cert. It doesn't have the S's directness and quick rack though which is a loss.

The chassis is fantastic. You can tell it has mass, but it tells you what it's going to do and has a lot of stroke to absorb the bumps. The Viscous diff now starts to work too by offering a little bit of slip to progress you to oversteer. It's very clever actually.

You could give this car to someone who has no real idea of how to drive and let them go in it with the traction control on and they'd love it!

The problems arise when you turn the traction control off. Yeah the car moves around brilliantly until the ****ING OVERLORD EBFD KICKS IN AND ALMOST KILLS YOU!!

The Electronic Brake Force Distribution uses an inbuilt gyro to prevent ****tards from killing themselves by activating individual brakes to straighten the car up in an aggressive yaw situation.

For people who know what they're doing it goes from lovely controlled slide, to what you think is a tank slapper to you applying steering lock the other way, gripping and then steering off the road. All of this is done in about 0.5 seconds too.

SCARED THE ****ING SHIT OUT OF ME!!!

I have found the wire for it and I will be installing a bypass.

On a B road this is a really fun car and really composed whilst allowing you to look like a right hero (once you remove the EBFD).
Old 12-11-2016, 11:40 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus

The problems arise when you turn the traction control off. Yeah the car moves around brilliantly until the ****ING OVERLORD EBFD KICKS IN AND ALMOST KILLS YOU!!

The Electronic Brake Force Distribution uses an inbuilt gyro to prevent ****tards from killing themselves by activating individual brakes to straighten the car up in an aggressive yaw situation.

For people who know what they're doing it goes from lovely controlled slide, to what you think is a tank slapper to you applying steering lock the other way, gripping and then steering off the road. All of this is done in about 0.5 seconds too.

SCARED THE ****ING SHIT OUT OF ME!!!

I have found the wire for it and I will be installing a bypass.

On a B road this is a really fun car and really composed whilst allowing you to look like a right hero (once you remove the EBFD).
Ron, what are you doing to make this happen? Presumably the EBFD only works when you are braking? I don't think anything happens if the car is just being slid around under throttle?

Quick Reply: A few days ago I bought...