Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

A few days ago I bought...

Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Ron, what are you doing to make this happen? Presumably the EBFD only works when you are braking? I don't think anything happens if the car is just being slid around under throttle?
No. It's like some anti fun overlord. It lets you have a little leeway and then comes in. It's called VDC:

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system - Starting and driving - Nissan Maxima Owners Manual - Nissan Maxima | Nissaguide.com

I know it's for a Maxima, same principles apply for the 350.

It's meant to be linked to traction control but when you turn the TC off, the EBFD portion remains active. Oh and you can hear it making noises!

Last edited by Ultra_Nexus; 12-11-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:55 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Ah, that's not really EFBD, then.

I think you should read the "Warnings" on the page you linked:

- The Vehicle Dynamic Control system is designed to help improve driving stability but does not prevent accidents due to abrupt steering operation at high speeds or by careless or dangerous driving techniques. Reduce vehicle speed and be especially careful when driving and cornering on slippery surfaces and always drive carefully.

- If brake related parts such as brake pads, rotors and calipers are not standard equipment or are extremely deteriorated, the Vehicle Dynamic Control system may not operate properly and the Vehicle Dynamic Control off indicator light may come on.

- If wheels or tires other than the recommended ones are used, the Vehicle Dynamic Control system may not operate properly and the Vehicle Dynamic Control off indicator light may come on.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I found the handling/grip/stability very predictable on standard wheels/suspension/discs/pads/MPSS

I'm not Senna or Captain Slow

WTF are you up to?!

Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think most cars that have it have the overlord function and it starts braking lightly-laden inner wheels when you least want it. I believe Dunning & Kruger have mandated in Europratland.

It's a totally wank form of torque vectoring.

I think the 86 still does it, as you do get flashy lights with everything switched off now & again. There's something a bit weird about the way they handle, but it could be the tyres.

At least the NSX only has the decency to reduce power slightly once the back lets go, and that's with everything switched on, because that's the only trick it has...
Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Ah, that's not really EFBD, then.

I think you should read the "Warnings" on the page you linked:

Yeah... I had been harking on about it all day and kind of missed the VDC bit out even though I knew what it was. Rest assured, it's a horrible feeling.

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I found the handling/grip/stability very predictable on standard wheels/suspension/discs/pads/MPSS

I'm not Senna or Captain Slow

WTF are you up to?!

Well, throw it about a bit see how it slips The handling is excellent, but that snap was scary. When the S2000 does it (for real) you have a tenth to react to save it or it snaps back on you. It felt like that except didn't snap back, just went straight by which time I was piling on the lock to correct the snap back!

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I think most cars that have it have the overlord function and it starts braking lightly-laden inner wheels when you least want it. I believe Dunning & Kruger have mandated in Europratland.

It's a totally wank form of torque vectoring.

I think the 86 still does it, as you do get flashy lights with everything switched off now & again. There's something a bit weird about the way they handle, but it could be the tyres.

At least the NSX only has the decency to reduce power slightly once the back lets go, and that's with everything switched on, because that's the only trick it has...
It's a true FRED Nick. You're right, of course, people think they can drive, but they rely on these FREDs to artificially elevate their perceived ability.

Well, I have spent lots of time practising to be non dependant on those systems so when they kick in it feels horrid as they go against your sub conscious response.

I was riding a CBR600RR around a soaking wet Donington Park and the guy was saying 'Oh yeah, just pull the front brake as hard as you can even when cornering - the ABS will save you!' Well, I tried to do it but I just couldn't. If you had never ridden a bike before, it'd have been second nature.

If you follow enough people, you see how their favoured point for braking is smack bang on the apex of a corner. Planning ahead, circle of grip, limit of corner are terms wasted on these people. Because of that, you see why the FREDs are needed.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Ron, that's a bit advanced & wasted on most people, who take the slightest corner like it's a 50p piece...
Old 01-06-2018, 05:18 PM

In case anyone is bothered - running update

I managed to install a switch to bin the stability and traction control. So much better

Did some sums on the 350 after a year and 15,000 miles of ownership. It is such a nice car - feels good and makes such a wonderful noise! Waft along and then engage twisties should they appear. For what essentially is an £8000 car, I have been thoroughly impressed by it.

orst parts are that it does understeer at the limit and the differential is a bit rubbish if you're like me and like to 'hoon' around a bit It's worth noting that it has used ZERO oil throughout that time.
I almost bought a BMW M2, but decided to spend the money on the house instead (Now and again, you have to give into the wife) and with the mileage I'm doing, the depreciation would put me off. Exactly how fast do you need to go on the road?

Currently chasing a throttle/idle issue which is a bit of a pain. Ordered replacement throttles so see if that fixes it, otherwise it's an ECU replacement.

So costs for the year as follows:
Vehicle Excise Duty - £505
Insurance (Business coverage, late 30's with about 7 million points on license in a no crime residential area) - £700
Tyres (Federal RSR) - £480 fitted
Brakes (Kinetic Discs and orangestuff pads all round, ATE Super dot4 fluid) - £600
New front suspension arms and ball joints - £350
Geometry (several times!) £80
Exhaust system (other one had rotted at flange) - £230
Full fluids service (Engine, Gearbox, Diff) - £50
Engine service (Oil & Filter) £15
Oil Galley Gaskets - £800
Spark Plugs (6x£30) - £180
New discs and pads (DS3000 EBC Ultimax discs) - £380
Tyres - (AD08R) - £600 fitted
Cleaning (twice per month) - £168
Fuel (15,000 miles at 23mpg avg) - £3700

So a grand total, for the year (not including the car) £8798. (mods - Air filters, Osiris licence, Decats have come to about £1000)

I don't think that's too bad. Barring the Galley gaskets and the front suspension arms, nothing there that wouldn't happen on any other car, especially a higher performance one.

Bit of track action at Anglesey Trac Mon following an S2000

Last edited by Ultra_Nexus; 01-06-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Small addition of text.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice write up Like any "analogue" performance car values seem to be holding up well for these. None the less £8800 in 1 year in running costs is huge even allowing for the things you wanted to do rather than had to do.

Not to worry, I have always liked these big Nissans, they are kind of like a big friendly Labrador, very placid and easy going but can bite your ****ing hand off at a moments notice
The following users liked this post:
Ultra_Nexus (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the 350z’s and the HR is the one to have . I’ve had 2 HR’s one of which I spent 15k in 2 years on ! Still to my knowledge the only HR to run the stillen supercharger. Loved it ..... if I were to buy one again I’d be going exhaust /uprev/final drive /Ohlins

Great buy
The following users liked this post:
Ultra_Nexus (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
I love the 350z’s and the HR is the one to have . I’ve had 2 HR’s one of which I spent 15k in 2 years on ! Still to my knowledge the only HR to run the stillen supercharger. Loved it ..... if I were to buy one again I’d be going exhaust /uprev/final drive /Ohlins

Great buy
The thing with the final drive is that this is my road car. I love the fact that 3000rpm in 6th is 85mph and I am happy to cruise at that. Yeah it is probably costing me some laptime, but who cares

I have an UpRev license and I'll stick some KW/Billies on it in the next 12 months I expect

Quick Reply: A few days ago I bought...