Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fog Lights

Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Fog Lights

although the normal does apply sitting in traffic two red dwarf Suns blinding me the driver behind , does no one know how to turn the dam things off .

Any way this afternoon in pretty poor visibility , quite foggy , not less than 100 metres but bad , I , we noticed driving down the M11 and through sarf London the main offenders not having any lights on we're , later model VAG,s , a few Mercs , a few Landrover Products and the odd BMW , is this a product of the mind numbing requirement of doing everything for the driver , so now ones is brain dead and one must rely on auto lights , which are clearly confused by bright furking FOG .

Or is is it me !!!!!! Old and curmudgingly
Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 AM

Owhoops in the wrong place please move mods !
Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

No its not just you, really pisses me off too. thick fog around here (Derby) today not enough for fog lights though normal dip beam was called for. But no the local ****wits either had no lights or every ****ing light they had illuminated.

line them all up and shoot them is the only answer
Old 12-31-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 420 and the auto lights work flawlessly. Even in light fog - they detect it.
Ditto the E Class that preceded it.
Worst of all, always (I do a lot of motorway work) is the NISSAN.
Notably the Joke and Cashcow, with auto lights/DRL.
They just don't work...like the Motability tossers that drive them.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:00 AM

Sorry Mercs are as guilty as VAGs, in my experience along with most other up market makes who have these labour saving devices for the bone idle.

one problem is if like me you don't have the dash lights at full brightness then you don't always know when the main lights are turned on by the Auto system in a VAG , or the ones I have,driven , need a better pilot light system . Like my A4 the switches and pilots were hidden and required contortion to see the bloody things not much better in my current model Pisshat .

any the driver is responsible , and should turn lights on and off as required !,, I doubt I will see the day
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe I'm lucky/unlucky but I cannot have very sensitive vision.

As a result, I've not struggled with retina burn from fogs or dazzle by auto drivers keeping their foot on the brake

Does it really interfere with your vision or it it more about irritation with what would appear to be a numpty driver?

I get that of course, along with the surprise and frustration regarding cars with no lights on.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 AM

Well foot on the brakes is another issue my dammed VAG the auto hold parking brake puts the brake lights on!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
I have a 420 and the auto lights work flawlessly. Even in light fog - they detect it.

Worst of all, always (I do a lot of motorway work) is the NISSAN.
Notably the Joke and Cashcow, with auto lights/DRL.
Dorris has one of those, they do work fine on hers. She is very much of the 'love auto lights' group after getting them on a Golf many years ago.

The ones on my BM don't work sometimes because my lad gets in and switches them to off
Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 AM

Nthe systems work , but are the lights on when they should be ? That is the problem the systems are not good enough , the set parameters do not have any intuition
Old 01-02-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand why they introduced this auto lights gizmo on new cars now, they should all just do what Volvo has been doing for decades, lights always on and they just turn off when you get out.

My m3 does this too so they're just always on and I never have to worry about them, it wonn't get easier than that and it means the dozy driver sees me sooner than if I don't have my lights on which can only be a good thing.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights