Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The Formula 1 Thread - 2017

Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Formula 1 Thread - 2017

Well, it's a season of all new rules and cars. Big wide tyres, massive wings and more power!!!

I'll kick off with my predictions:

WDC - Rosberg
WCC - Merc

Red Bull still aren't quite there - 0.5 behind

Ferrari behind Red Bull

McLaren Honda hanging on to the top ten

Max gets a least a one race ban.

Overtaking is still almost impossible

Alonso quits.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

I sincerely hope you're wrong! Lets hope the technical changes see Mercedes brought back into the pack.

My predictions - based partly on blind hope/optimism probably.

WDC - Hamilton

WCC- Mercedes

Red Bull win between 5 and 10 races

Ferrari winless again

McLaren 4th in constructors championship

Alonso back on the podium

Eddie Jordan still an irritating p****
Old 11-27-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't rule out Red Bull. Aerodynamics will have more of an influence next year and their version of the Renault engine no longer has much of a power deficit to the Mercedes and Ferrari. I'm not sure what the significance of Renault's announcement that they are going to "completely redesign" their engine over the winter might be, and whether the redesigned unit will find its way to Mario Ilien and into the back of the Red Bull. Assuming, that is, that the redesigned unit is any better than the Tag Heuer badged engine that Red Bull are already using.

Still with me? Good.

Ferrari won't be taking things easy over the winter break either, and I imagine that Honda will be keen to try to restore their Formula 1 reputation. Apparently, Sauber will use 2016 Ferrari engines, but the deal with Haas is that they get the latest version of the Ferrari engine.

I imagine that the Mercedes customers will have whatever the factory team uses, and it will be interesting to see if Force India can continue to make a little (money) go a long way. They and Williams will have interesting combinations of youth and experience on the driving strength, and the same could be said of Renault and McLaren.

At the moment, the only available seats are at Manor and as Marcus Ericson's team-mate at Sauber, the annual driver-go-round having been resolved relatively early for 2017. Probably because the teams have a lot of work to do anyway.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by imc27
Don't rule out Red Bull. Aerodynamics will have more of an influence next year.
I'm not ruling them out, but it's not like the Merc aero is going to be pants.

I still can't see them really being challenged Maybe a few race wins.

Ferrari winless? Yeah, I'll agree with that.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Red Bull will come back strong, either even with Mercedes or slightly ahead. The WDC will end up between Hamilton and Vestappen with Rosberg and Ricciardo looking increasingly sulky by the end of the year.

Ferrari will disappoint and come third without winning a race, and this time will cancel the Christmas Party.

McLaren will stay about where they are. Renault will be better. Force India will beat Williams again.

Of course last year I picked Vettel for WDC.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:06 AM
LTB

The bookies seem to think that Red Bull will be back in 2017.

Hamilton is favourite to win the WDC with both Bulls on the same odds, but ahead of Rosberg who is 4th.

Toto will have to ram his rules of engagement up his arse if Red Bull or the red cars turn up next year.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:51 AM

I do believe that the Red Bull malarkey is hype. I think they are being perpetually bigged up and Merc will definitely still have the best car by a decent margin.

Remember that with those wider tyres and wings, there is more drag and the engine will be needed. So unless Renault pull of somesort of masterstroke, they are going to be left lacking.

Hamilton will be the Favourite because too many British muppets will stick money on him and drive his odds down.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 AM
LTB

Not just British punters, I got those odds from an article in Corriere dello sport which is an Italian rag.

I was looking for a non Anglo opinion on things.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/new...er_la_ferrari/

Don't let your dislike of Hamilton cloud things, everybody rates him, not just British muppets.

Last edited by LTB; 11-28-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
I do believe that the Red Bull malarkey is hype....
Next year F1 moves back to being an aero formula. Of course a decent engine will be important, but i would wager that Adrian Newey will turn out a top, front running car.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Auf wiedersehen Deutschland Formula 1 calendar 2017: German GP dropped & Brazil in doubt - BBC Sport

Quick Reply: The Formula 1 Thread - 2017