Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Got a cheating VW, naff off!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

The "royal we" have a late 62 plate GTD TDI Golf, bought in June 2014. The missus has a bad back and doesn't get on with it which is a shame as it was bought with the intention of keeping it for years as they have been great cars for us in the past.

I reckon i'll get £11k if i'm lucky.

Before this broke i was going to flog it, to the point of putting an ad together and having someone interested, but the dorris was dithering.. going rate was £13k+

so i can't show you stats of before and after and we can only look at ad prices, not whether they are selling. But supply and demand dictate price and the former has not dried up but the latter certainly has (20% plus down i heard?).

I want it off the drive so once it's had a smart repair on a little bumper scratch it'll go as i've no use for a diesel. But as per the Hatton Garden thread these are white collar crims so no doubt they'll get off..
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not unreasonable depreciation over the 5 months since the story broke
Old 01-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
The "royal we" have a late 62 plate GTD TDI Golf, bought in June 2014. The missus has a bad back and doesn't get on with it which is a shame as it was bought with the intention of keeping it for years as they have been great cars for us in the past.

Before this broke i was going to flog it, to the point of putting an ad together and having someone interested, but the dorris was dithering.. going rate was £13k+

so i can't show you stats of before and after and we can only look at ad prices, not whether they are selling. But supply and demand dictate price and the former has not dried up but the latter certainly has (20% plus down i heard?).

I want it off the drive so once it's had a smart repair on a little bumper scratch it'll go as i've no use for a diesel. But as per the Hatton Garden thread these are white collar crims so no doubt they'll get off..
I don't think you've got a cat in hell's chance of proving a financial loss. Doesn't mean VW won't give owners something but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Most likely they'll just try the old trick of dragging things out for years.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Not unreasonable depreciation over the 5 months since the story broke
If that were true, £2k+ in 4 months, after a year it would have been worth c£10k.. Depreciation should be slowing with age

Anyway, while annoying you are correct Gad, all i can do is vote with my feet and never buy another VW/Skoda/Porsche/audi. Hardly a hardship for me considering i never have
Old 01-14-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2

A bit pedantic Nott...

13-15k is more like it depending on mileage. About 5% of the market is private sale, the rest traders which is flooded. The whole VW emissions thing is a little bit knee jerk and I reckon the brand isn't going to suffer a gigantic enough loss of faith for much longer.I saw sales dip, it will level and get back after much marketing. Yes VW were cheating and I don't agree with it too but their cars remain reliable and almost unequalled for supplying a top car in its segment.
I'm fortunate my 15 plate GTD isn't affected, however if it needed reprogramming I'd sort it.

Unfortunately there is a vein of "I'll sue" like since the PPI saga, to protect ones wealth.
I think it's extremely likely it will all blow over and be forgotten about quicker than people think.

I think a free service should offered to all owners, however that in itself would run into tens of millions.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll sue and suing.

Two very different things
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM

Its yours for £13k Tony

I wish
Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was an estate and had Leather seats I'd call you
Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For VW a "service" is usually little more than an oil change and a tick sheet to say that various parts of the car have been visually inspected. They rarely remove the wheels for these "services".

The underlying problem is that the sheeple who read the sensationalised press (or even worse, social media) and are now armed with the knowledge that Volkswagens kill children and kittens. They are therefore "bad" and nobody should ever buy one because they are destroying the planet.

Toyota have had more safety-related recalls than most manufacturers in recent years, and don't appear to have suffered too badly. For some reason, the collective memory of the great unwashed seems to have overlooked these. Again, I think that it has something to do with the surprise that it was Volkswagen who were caught out, hence the scandal has registered so high on the Richter Scale.

The cars involved have undoubtedly become blighted by this unfortunate episode, and will be harder to sell. The news only broke in September, so barely four months has passed, and those four months are generally slack in the world of secondhand car sales, so we hardly have a credible barometer of the effect of the scandal on existing owners. VW issued another press release a few days ago which reassured owners that the re-flash of the engine management system would categorically not detract from the engine's performance or fuel economy. I've decided that I'm not going to be a Beta tester for this, and I'll await the results from other owners once they've had the re-program done.

Apparently, the 1.6 litre diesel needs slightly more than a re-flash. There was talk of replacement injectors and some form of device which looks a bit like a tea-strainer to "condition" the air flow somewhere in the air intake system. I understand that VW plan to deal with the 2 litre cars first.

Given that almost all German manufacturers use Bosch engine management systems, which will arrive on the production line having been programmed by Bosch to each individual manufacturers' specification I find it hard to believe that this issue is restricted to Volkswagen. But unlike rival manufacturers in the same segment in other countries, the peculiarity is that the German car manufacturers, although fierce rivals, do tend to stick together and cover each others' backs.

We are only at the beginning of this saga. It appears that it will run, and run. And run.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:31 AM

It has leather Crapper. Cos i like you more than Tone Lope it's yours for £12k

Its white, anonymous and clean looking, noone at the schools you cruise will suspect you at all.

Quick Reply: Got a cheating VW, naff off!