Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

GT86

Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shame it's not a convertible. I'd be tempted with one if it was.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Shame it's not a convertible. I'd be tempted with one if it was.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
In my head depreciation has got worse, people don't like older cars.

I've not driven one but they sound better than most of the stuff being churned out currently, light, agile, NA, simple. S2000 like Could do with a bit more power IMHO though
That's slightly missing the point - being closer to Prelude power curve, it's a lot more accessible & thus balanced than the slightly bonkers S2000. You don't need to be a driving god as it will tolerate idiots.

It's also got folding rear seats & stuff, so it's really no less stupidly impractical than one of those huge great ubiquitous E92 things.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

Nick, I like to compensate for innate shitness by having excesses of power . I think 250bhp would be nicer but hey ho. I still like the concept and would take it over a fwd hot hatch any day.

But the heart of the car, for me, is the engine, hence the S and the M (that sounds very wrong).
Old 07-22-2012, 11:47 AM

All you need now is a Boxer Diesel...

I'm sure the 250 BHP version (and the roadster) won't be long coming; this plank is intended to be leveraged, as they say in the industry.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They look good but not as nice as in pictures. I like the fact they are lightweight and driver focused.

In its current guise its too slow, having owned a toyota before the S with TRD bits on etc i can see it being supercharged but only around 250/260BHP (probably 5/6psi) as generally toyota blocks in NA guise cant handle much boost.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have an sc type out, it will be a case of bolting on their existing roots type sc's which will be a cheap r&d for them.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Be more interested to know if they designed the chassis in such a way that a ragtop version can be created without adding extra weight or compromising the handling. As for power, a stock S2000 really isn't that quick unless you're giving it utter death through the entire rev range.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
They look good but not as nice as in pictures. I like the fact they are lightweight and driver focused.

In its current guise its too slow, having owned a toyota before the S with TRD bits on etc i can see it being supercharged but only around 250/260BHP (probably 5/6psi) as generally toyota blocks in NA guise cant handle much boost.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have an sc type out, it will be a case of bolting on their existing roots type sc's which will be a cheap r&d for them.
Where have you been? Eny fule no it's a Subaru block with Toyota heads!

There is quite a bit of power to be found (in the exhaust, for example) before going the FI route & destroying the throttle response.

Anyway, someone's already shoved in a 2JZ engine. Surprised me, too. Although what that does to handling is anyone's guess.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM

I test drove one of these on Saturday. My friend works for Toyota but the number one rule was the traction control stays on... so in that respect here is my appraisal

The spec was Red with the £480 black stripes option, sat nav (a must have option) and heated alcantara/leather seats. Advertised at almost £28K

It was a very well set up chassis that takes corners very well, low down in the revs it lacks torque (similar to our S's but far worse)
Unless it has some sort of tuning to sort this out then it seems a detrimental downfall to the car. The factory 197Hp makes it seem very slow.
In the way of FI a supercharger at a push, and a turbo doubtful. With the exhaust manifold at the bottom of the engine it looks as though a turbo would be very difficult to find space for. The engine looks as though it sits quite far forward in the bay (a clutch looks very easy to change though) and so there is not a lot of room in front of the engine.
Realistically a 2 seater but they are very comfortable and supportive, it has a nice little trick where the rear seats fold down so you can easily fit 4 wheels/tires and basic camping equipment.
Another highlight of the car was the dash, with digital and analogue speedo and a cheeky little shift light.
The controls are very driver focussed, the pedals are also a good setup with good spacing and is very easy to heel-toe, which the car seems to respond well to.
The tires..... now these are 215/45/17 all round, and from the factory uses the same rubber as the Prius, Toyota claim this is to 'balance the cars handling' sounds like bollocks to me, it would be much better with a staggered fitment and maybe grippier tires, but this depends on the intentional use of the car.

Subaru are yet to release their car (which is to use a different engine supposedly), but the Toyota is the better of the 2, which has suspension and brake upgrades

Most Toyota dealerships have an allocation of 5 GT86's so these are very exclusive, this promises to give a residual value of approx. £14,000 after 3 years.
The finance for these on a PCP deal works out as £5000 deposit and £490 a month over 5 years, for every £1K deposit the monthly amounts drop by £30, IIRC they said the max. deposit was £7K.

Overall, i'd say it is one of the best cars to buy for less than £40K, lets just see what the Japanese tuning companies can do with this car, but if it was my money it would go on a 370Z.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Well; why are the identical BRZs aleready out there then?

Sounds like a lot of sales bollocks came with it!

I agree that it's a swwet car to drive - with the caveat that you need to be in Sport mode and give it some revs.

The wet road handling is really pleasing.

It's no S2000 - the pressed, non adjustable suspension elements suggest a lower price point entirely and it's none the worse for that.

Quick Reply: GT86