Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

MB goes Caterham racing

Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
1. Park your S2000 in an Autobahn stop area.

2. Wait for the first German to come screaming past.

That's the effect.

Those racing Caterhams are bloody fast. Only on a bumpy track does the S2000's extra mass help it with a traction advantage.
Hmm, I can't agree there. The Sevens are simply quicker everywhere, even on bumpy roads/circuits. And my Westfield had a solid axle!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
The 420R championship (formerly R300) is quite high profile with good tv coverage and some mega fast drivers. I'm using a company to manage / deliver / race support the car for me which takes all the hassle away, but with the obvious cost downside!

First race is Snet on 7/8 April
Trying and failing to see a race timetable as such on Snet or BRSCC - any chance of a linky MB?

Be good to pop in even though footie that weekend - faint hopes die hard
Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak

Would be cool to see a side by side with a similar lap in the s2000 to see how different it is.
No point, you would only see the S for a few seconds each lap.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Trying and failing to see a race timetable as such on Snet or BRSCC - any chance of a linky MB?

Be good to pop in even though footie that weekend - faint hopes die hard
Hi Rog, will stick one up when it comes up. They haven't even opened the entry yet for some reason!

Originally Posted by richmc
No point, you would only see the S for a few seconds each lap.
Hmmm, as above i've done many laps of Donny in the S and the R300 and there's only a few seconds in it with me as the calibrated driver. I think I can go quicker in the S with a bit more track time though, but not as quick as the Caterham. The sequential really does make a difference.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 AM
MB

So Snetterton was interesting, but also a bit of a disaster.

I was there Thursday / Friday for testing, and that largely went well and got to know the rest of the team. They were great in doing setup tweaks etc. My pace was really good too, I was into 2:04.5 lap times, with a predicted 2:04 dead on the VBox. This was mid pack pace, with the top guys doing 2:02 to 2:03. So all was looking good!

Unfortunately my engine let go on Friday, and had to get a new one from Caterham as its an MSA sealed engine. That set me back £5k, and the downside is that new engines are very tight and always less powerful until they bed in, which is a good 10-20 hours.

So Qualifying wasn't great at all. Tight engine and try as best I could, I could not find any cars to get in a tow with. Getting a tow is essential in a Caterham, and worth a good second a lap, especially somewhere like Snet 300. I pitted twice to see if I could come out into a group of cars, with no luck. Se ended up qualifying at high 2:05 and second last.

Race 1 was also mixed fortunes. I hadn't race started the car before, and it's very very hard. The clutch is on or off, and they are really easy to stall or light the rears up. I got it off the line ok, and overtook several cars to make my way up the field a bit, but being in a tow I was getting high oil & water temps. This being a brand new engine, and not knowing what the limits were I felt I had to pit and get it checked. I was assured it was ok and sent straight back out but lost all the places.

Race 2 I was starting 4 from the back, but with some quick guys behind who had sapn off in Race 1, so knew I needed to let them go, but to try and hang onto the back. This time I managed to make up about 6 places, and was doing really well. My lap times were good too. Unfortunately about 5 laps in, the guy in front of me went wide on a fast right hander, and id barrelled through the corner and couldnt back out of it enough... he came back on the trackw ith some oversteer and smacked the side of the car. It went up in the air, close to rolling and I span off. The rear basket is damaged, driveshaft shot out, suspension damaged etc etc. Ribs are a little sore but otherwise ok. The guy admitted 100% fault, but sadly that won't pay the £4k of damage...

So as a result of a mega expensive weekend and some crap results, i'm sitting 26 from 29 in the Championship and very grumpy The next round is Spa, and really looking forward to that. I'm also pleased that i'm quick enough to not be at the bottom, and will only get quicker. These cars are really different to drive quickly, and a lot of the guys have been doing it for years to have a bit of catching up to do.

What i'm impressed with is the level the championship is at. The drivers are all very much top level, the race support is top notch, it gets Channel 4 coverage, we (420R) get the pit garages each race, Caterham / Avon attend all the events, etc etc. What comes with that unfortunately is a very high cost!

Will post up some video of the race this weekend.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Holy shit that's an expensive weekend Mark!!

Onwards and upwards for Spa.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Motorsport is dangerous to life and wallet.....
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM
MB

Yup

Not sure I will feature in this one but here's the TV info.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That's racing...

Pleased you came out OK-ish.

Vid was enjoyable - that's a proper racing car, compared to an S2000 executive barge.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Jesus, £9k for a weekend? I think i'd rather hire a yatcht and a load of hookers if i'm honest.

if i do i might borrow your pics to explain the bank damage

well done. I think.

Quick Reply: MB goes Caterham racing