Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

My new Sunday car

Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default My new Sunday car

The old timers here will remember I had an XJ40 Daimler Double Six back in 2005 ish. I was running it at the same time as a Ferrari 348 spider and Omega V6.

That Daimler was lovely but for a variety of reasons I couldn't hang on to it.

Fast forward to 2016 and something I'd wanted for a quite while came up - see third on the right.

[attachment=90962:trio1.jpg]

It's one of the very last Double Sixes, type x305, registered in 1997, which makes it one of the last cars Jaguar/Daimler made to use the V12. Probably my favourite shape Jag.

Like my XJ40 version, it has the six litre version of the V12 but is better built than the XJ40 and more rust resistant. This is the lwb version, so a six foot sixer can stretch out in the back.

This one is very solid (the bulkhead is critical on the XJ40 and some X300s) and apart from a little lacquer lift around door handles and a few parking ripples on one side only, it doesn't need much doing.

As it's a rare, end of its type thing, I shall keep it, unless I discover any serious issues.

I wanted a car for Sundays, Bank Holidays, picnics and Goodwood meals and this should fit the bill.

I'll get some better pics up next week when I've got some spare time but thought I'd start the thread for Polemicist, Nick and as an antidote to leasing HRVs and their like.

Assuming the car is as sound as I think, it'll be treated to a grand on the paint, a hundred on so on some trim and a main dealer overhaul. Anything spent on it will only add to its value. Oh, and I think it needs a personal plate really.

The interior is lovely and has the original lambswool mats, picnic tables, heated rear seats, a sunroof surprisingly and everything else Daimler could throw at it in 1997. Wear is minimal, just a scratch to sort.

[attachment=90963:interior.jpg]

Daimlers are more softly sprung than XJ12s and this is super smooth. You wouldn't hustle this car but it has similar power to a contemporary XJR, so power is adequate.

The engine, for those unfamiliar with it, is turbine-like and packs quite a punch. Starting is quite an event too. I like the fact that revving the thing causes the whole car to rock approximately 4" side to side like a dragster - vulgar but fun.

I now have more than one car for each day of the week and need a bigger house (and camera). 350Z still likely to go once the weather warms up a bit and it needs an mot. That will take me down to 9, which is manageable.
Attached Thumbnails My new Sunday car-trio1.jpg   My new Sunday car-interior.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That looks really tidy, Pete. And somehow far more interesting than a new Honda CofE...

Also a very subtle colour combination - especially since very German car by then came with compulsory dark blue paint and Wehrmacht-grey leather.

Just as I was musing whether Mark's Century wasn't quite bonkers enough in only having a V8, you've gone and got the utterly daft one. Probably almost as rare, in Daimler spec. as IIRC, they were only permitted to use the brand in the UK by then.

It IS a lovely engine, though, that old V12; utter English butler-smoothness and yet great might everywhere in the rev band. Even if they occasionally munch bearing shells, inexplicably.

Hope it works out as planned.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A proper genteleman's carriage.

Alas I would only feel comfortable driving such a vehicle after spending several pounds on elocution lessons; my less than perfect Received Pronunciation just wouldn't do it justice!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
That looks really tidy, Pete. And somehow far more interesting than a new Honda CofE...

Also a very subtle colour combination - especially since very German car by then came with compulsory dark blue paint and Wehrmacht-grey leather.

Just as I was musing whether Mark's Century wasn't quite bonkers enough in only having a V8, you've gone and got the utterly daft one. Probably almost as rare, in Daimler spec. as IIRC, they were only permitted to use the brand in the UK by then.

It IS a lovely engine, though, that old V12; utter English butler-smoothness and yet great might everywhere in the rev band. Even if they occasionally munch bearing shells, inexplicably.

Hope it works out as planned.
Cheers Nick.

Yes, it's an unusual colour, not unlike Moonrock. I need to check how near it was to last of the line but made in Feb and production ceased in April so it can't be far off.

The only mechanical concern I have is a noise underneath the ns front when it's cold - I'm hoping it's the exhaust contacting the bodywork as it doesn't appear to be engine or gearbox and oil pressure/running/gear changing is all good.

DIY?

[attachment=90964:v12.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails My new Sunday car-v12.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM

In the Series 3, it used to take all day to change the plugs.

I hope you have more patience than I do these days...
Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
In the Series 3, it used to take all day to change the plugs.

I hope you have more patience than I do these days...
Plugs were done not long ago and since I don't envisage doing more than 2000 miles a year in the car they won't be done again in my time. Fluids and brakes should be easy enough, just lots of the former. Given that the engine produces heat like a reactor the heater isn't as hot as I'd expect so a flush may be in order.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Probably old enough to require a new thermostat.

My NSX is beginning to feel the same, but that could also be dodgy capacitors in the climate control unit. Must find the time to bugger about with it a bit.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lovely. Maybe you're not as awful as I thought, Daffi
Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice ...

Old 02-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Hello Gaddafi, my compliments on the Jag, sir."
The following users liked this post:
gaddafi (03-10-2017)

Quick Reply: My new Sunday car