Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

PCP

Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCP

It's been a while since I've visited here and posted something useful, so here goes...

I was talking with a chap recently and the conversation got around to cars (doesn't it always?) and I mentioned about my interest in an i3 on PCP. He said a good friend of his had recently returned a premium German marque at the end of its PCP term. The dealer, who supplied the car on the deal, offered £4k less the the 'agreed' future value. Why? In the small print was a clause stating that if the manufacturer released a facelift or revised model of the car during the term of PCP agreement, the future value of the vehicle would be adjusted to reflect its change in value.

I'm not sure how the situation was resolved, but one to watch given the regularity with which most contemporary cars are 'revised'.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTAF
There is probalby 100% chance there would be a revision they could claim to be a facelift/revision in a typical PCP
Devious ****ers!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

New one on me!

Maybe that's why they no longer call it a 'guaranteed future value' as I think PSA did at one time.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something sounds suspect in that.
The reason PCP exists is to be a cheaper entry to getting a car of a given type whilst keeping the customer on the teat of a finance scheme that the vendor can make money on.
That wouldn't so much burn the bridge as nuke it!

That smacks of the dealer / customer relationship having totally broken down, the dealer knows they'll never get the customer back / trying to recover some sort of funds
Old 02-02-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or one of the shiny suit brigade trying it on.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

i recall a dimwit at work quite a few years ago. Got a Focus, not even a good one (if it exists) on the never never. i'm sure the drivers door had been painted.. anyway

few years down the line got a new job, company car. Ford wanted £4k to take the car back.

it cost him more than my 1500 mile s2000 at the time over a few years.

he "needed 4 seats" though.. errr look - over there.. there's a point!

i think it was called ford options... ford robbery
Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont fully understand PCP.

Is the deal generally that you pay a chunky deposit, low monthly payments and you basically give the car back at the end, or do you always end up with some money back at th end, as you've been paying over the guaranteed value?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The idea was, you set the final balloon payment sufficient to give you enough equity for the deposit on the next car on a replacement plan, so they'd got you hooked on the never-never for ever and ever.

But it can go terribly wrong if values fall out of bed.

The amount of delinquent/underwater sub-prime car loans in the USA is likely to blow up a bubble at some point.

It worked very well on my first MX-5. Balloon leases were only available to business users back then...
Old 02-10-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
I dont fully understand PCP.

Is the deal generally that you pay a chunky deposit, low monthly payments and you basically give the car back at the end, or do you always end up with some money back at th end, as you've been paying over the guaranteed value?
There tends to be some flex.
We got my wife's Seat on PCP and paid a higher deposit so the monthly payment was only £99
A different Seat dealer were trying to get me into an Cupra FR Estate for a £5,000 depost.....but on a lease! Took my money elsewhere.

I'm ambivalent to PCP as a concept, if it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't.

ETA: to Nick's point, this is definitely why they moved away from "Guaranteed Future Value" as people were understandably pissed off when they didn't get what they thought they were going to get at the end. Of course, it only makes a real difference if you walk away completely - which the majority of PCP buyer's don't do, they put the money into the next car so never really see a "loss"

Last edited by GarethB; 02-10-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never heard of anyone with any equity left at the end of a PCP.
You can however manipulate these schemes quite easily.
Often dealers offer an attractive deal to sign you up on a PCP, or even a finance agreement (regular Hire Purchase).
Sometimes a huge cash bung, discount, service plans or similar.
What I did was negotiate hard, take the HP option and a couple of weeks later just pay the whole thing off in cash.
They get VERY pissed off when you do this but nothing they can do - you are entitled to a settlement at any time.
Its just that very few people ever do this.
The only thing I saw that had clawbacks in the small print was where the SEAT delear would only offer two years servicing as an incentive to PCP.
In there they state they will terminate the 'freebies' if you pay it down.
But generally its a winner
Perhaps its why the cock-ends at Plymouth Ocean BMW don't lke me haha

Quick Reply: PCP