Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Recommend me a new / next car

Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a new / next car

I've been offered a new job and as a result it looks like I'll need a new car.

If you opt out of the co. car policy the car has to be less than 4 years old as well as the usual co. car type of rules
- 4 doors
- 4/5 seats
- hard top
- secure boot (and large enough for some stock etc)

Now the only rule my current car doesn't fit is the 4yr rule. It's a 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X, which I'd thought about replacing but this kind of forces the issue.
It could be worse, if I opted to take a company car it would also have to be
- diesel
- less than 130g CO2

Which actually rules out the zero emission Tesla, go figure!

Anyway, in addition to the above list I would also add:
- interior suitable for two child seats - an isofix base with rear facing seat won't go behind the driver seat in my current car, so smaller isn't an option
- an estate is possible but not an absolute

I had considered some of the following
- Audi RS6 and S6 - both outside of budget at that age
- C63 / E63 AMG - as above
- Vauxhall VXR8 - amazingly, as above also
- Jaguar XFR - close but not quite

I'd prefer to go to a main dealer, I know that means I'll pay more but it also means a PCP option is possible meaning I can reduce the monthly payments and change after 2 years or so. My mileage won't be that high as the job is in export, and I'll be home based so I reckon around 10,000 per year, again keeping the PCP cost down.
I'd consider a lease but don't want to be tied in to a 3 year / 4 year agreement

All things considered (and based on a Land Rover finance example, this sets my budget at around £25k

As I can't afford an RS6 I am tempted by some of the other A6 to just be a regular person and have a "nice" car that does everything and is a nice place to be.
But given the criteria I think I'd be looking at 2wd 2l oil burners rather than the 3l and that would feel like a compromise too far.

Oh yes and as the rule is up to 4 years old, I'm looking at 2014 cars so I'm not forced to replace in 1 year.
I think that covers everything.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

While i like spending other peoples money your requirements have stumped me. Cant you buy Forest off fatspazz instead and sort out the mess?

Hth
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 AM

You know what, if I'd won a couple of hundred mill on euromillions that would've been stage 1 of the plan.
Stage two is get the right people in place to do all the day to day running of the club for me then sit back and have feel-good PR ideas (such as the Peter Taylor stand, or the fans game*)

*I actually played in that, set up a couple and scored with the final kick of the game. At the trent end. I retired from football there and then, tears in my eyes and never been more proud. My mum, wife and son were all there. Just wish my dad had seen it. It's available on youtube I think. The commentary includes the words I'll never forget, "it's a delicious ball from Banton" to set up one of the goals.

Anyway, I digress.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 AM
DCC

I do so enjoy these threads. I've spent so much virtual money on some of the suggestions.

The only thing that I can think of that fits the rules and isn't a VAG is an Alfa Giulietta. It'll look pretty and their diesels are actually pretty punchy. And given its a co. car, maintenance and repairs aren't an issue!
Old 09-19-2016, 02:18 AM

I knew I'd make it too complicated.

The diesel / 130g bit is if I was taking the company car. I'm not.
The only rules I have to abide by are

- less than 4 years old
- 4/5 doors
- 4/5 seats
- hard top
- secure boot (and large enough for some stock etc)

While I like the look of the Giulietta I think it would be too small for my purposes.
Having had a similarly sized BMW135i (which we swapped as it was only 2 door) I don't think two car seats + associated baby gubbins would fit in a Giulietta / Golf sized car

I was looking at Focus ST estates (plus Mountune) but they look a bit.... well.... Ford inside, ie not premium enough.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:19 AM

Having had a loony Passat in the past (W8) I'd looked at the R36 Passat and CC, but they're also too old.

This is very tricky.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some kind of Lexus?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:50 AM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

Subaru WRX STI?
300bhp

330D?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap golf R on lease. That's about as lean as you will get for something half decent.

Keep your eye on the PH lease thread.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:59 AM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Merc E class are pretty well spec'd whether its Petrol or Dirty D. Big boot, roomy and just has that class interior finish that leaves BMW behind of similar years. Go for an AMG option that has the toys, and the better re-sale value.
The Germans have the economy thing down to a T compared to the wider market, if you're searching for Petrol.

Quick Reply: Recommend me a new / next car