Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I'm thinking of buying...

Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today I'm thinking of buying...

A Fiat 500 Abarth.

Went into Fiat last week for a test drive on a bog standard (or entry level as the salesmen like to call it) 500. Yes, I know they're a girly car, but I absolutely adore them. And the idea of a new car, with hassle free motoring for a fixed fee every month, is becoming more and more appealing.

It drove lovely, was really impressed with how it felt to drive, but it just wasn't nippy enough. For just pottering about everyday it was ideal, but as I don't like to hang around sometimes, it wasn't going to fit that criteria. They asked me if I'd consider an Abarth and I said I wasn't sure. So they offered me a drive in that, and my inner chimp was super excited, but I kept my level head on as I didn't want the salesman to think I was just after a joyride.

But I went out in the Abarth and by god, that is a cracking bit of kit for such a small car. The performance was unbelievable for such a little thing, and it did put a smile on my face.

We went back to the dealership, and he was offering me all sorts of deals, prices, etc, and I wasn't even asking!

The deal is £199 a month, with a £199 deposit which as it is is very good, with 3 free services, but I'd want a specific spec, and for less money if possible. Although I'd be happy to pay the £199/month, but any saving is worth having.

Now, there are a few issues (see below) that are holding me back from taking the plunge. I know I can get the car, in the spec I want, for the £199, as he's pretty much told me I can, but I'm now trying to negotiate on the monthly figure. As Iike I say, anything less is a bonus.

1. I'm sort of spoilt with my current DD - a Polo 6N2 1.4 tdi. It's surprising nippy, 65mpg, and a 600 mile range on the tank. I've put a lot of money into it, but I've had nearly 50k out of it so feel I've had my money's worth. But it's due more work in another 5k miles time (almost the value of the car now), and it is showing signs of it's age, bless it. Although it is still great to drive, cheap to run (on fuel anyway), and still puts a smile on my face everytime that little turbo comes on boost and takes some modern cars by surprise. The Abarth fills the fun factor, without a doubt. That turbo giving you that "urge" that I'm used to, but obviously I'll be at the pumps almost twice as often.

2. PCP has never really been for me. I much prefer to save up, buy what I want, and own it. But spending say £5k on a car, having that money gone, tied up in car that's losing value, with potentially having to spend more on repairs. I'd rather keep that money in the bank and just pay a fixed amount per month.

3. Is it too much of a compromise and too close to the S? I've got a fun, sporty car, do I need another one? And one to use everyday? I've always ran a toy (in this case, the S) and a sensible car for everyday. Although the Polo is sensible car, it's good fun to drive too, so it's kind of changed that dynamic.

4. The balloon payment at the end is a little scary. But with how the Abarth's hold their value, the final payment of £6500, although daunting, is safe because the car would be worth around £8k?

I've done lots of research and thought about (pretty much) everything, but just after a few more opinions and thoughts.

Do you think it's a good deal? Do you think it's a good car?

Always been terrible at making decisions, so need some guidance.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 03-22-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

i dont really understand PCP, it used to be on prescription only.. ahem

are you committed to buying at the end? that sounds non-ideal. cant you just lease one? £200 a month is less than the depreciation of a new car. Assuming you don't mind looking like a right tart driving around in that you'll be fine.

i wouldnt buy a fiat without a warranty but it sounds OK to me on this deal
Old 03-22-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

My 2p worth - The Fiat 500 Abarth is a little go kart but the suspension is rock solid - almost unbearable! I test drove one around 2011, put a smile on my face and it would be great to own, but would get tiresome for longer journeys than 20 mins!

I have been doing PCP for the last 5 years - I like the fact that I have a new car with (hopefully) everything covered under warranty apart from the normal items, tyres, brake pads etc. No MOT's to worry about - nothing! I haven't had to get my hands dirty at all on the DD, not even bought any tyres!

The deal is £199 a month, with a £199 deposit which as it is is very good
That seems like a good deal - £200 in is peanuts. The thing with PCP is that bargaining doesn't get you very far - although they will price match other dealers - play them off against each other?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Although i wouldn't get a 500 Abarth as there way to small for me i think your doing the right thing. For me personally i cant do the sensible DD, when i get in the car i want to enjoy the drive. I have a M135i as my DD and every day finishing work is a joy to drive home, 320hp through the rear wheels in a short wheel base is great fun.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 AM

Yes, that's my worry... would want a second test drive and take it on a dual carriageway/motorway run to see what it's like a cruising speeds, as that's where it would spend most of its time tbh.

I have tried that... but they've called my bluff, so it didn't really go to plan. But they are trying to get down to the other dealers price, but I want options throwing in! Else I won't have it. If I'm having new, I want my spec.

Not committed to buying at the end - can just give it back or use it as a deposit on something else. But due to the mileage I'll be putting on it, I most likely would buy it.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

My other half had one of the first 'entry' editions back in 2008. I agree it was under powered (for me) but she liked it.

The ride was over-firm to downright bumpy though and the seats too flat - didn't grip your cheeks or lower back - and we never felt happy to take it on any long drives. The killer niggle for me was Fiat not moving the bonnet release from by the passenger's left foot for the right hand drive UK cars. I felt that this was a cheap trick too far though I can see it might give a road going Lothario an excuse to fondle a shapely ankle or two.

The Abarth edition sounds to have solved the power deficiency but I genuinely don't know about my other criticisms.

And I am with Nottm on PCP - or was it TCP?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Deal seems fine

But a bloke in a (modern) Fiat 500 - just wrong

I had a MINI for a while - God that was bad enough

The original 500 is cool as fcuk
Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i dont really understand PCP, it used to be on prescription only.. ahem

are you committed to buying at the end? that sounds non-ideal. cant you just lease one? £200 a month is less than the depreciation of a new car. Assuming you don't mind looking like a right tart driving around in that you'll be fine.

i wouldnt buy a fiat without a warranty but it sounds OK to me on this deal
Lease - pay a deposit (3 months rental) then pay a monthly fee, equivalent to renting the car for the term. At the end you give the car back, no strings. You may be able to buy it, but you're not obliged to and it's a separate deal to the lease.

PCP - you're potentially paying off the car (rather than renting it). You pay a deposit, (some flexibility, will impact monthly payments). All the monthlies go to the value of the car. with a "balloon" payment at the end based on the amount you pay on deposit, the monthlies and the final value. At the end you have three choices.
1. hand the car back (to cover the cost of outstanding finance)
2. Pay off the outstanding amount, where the car becomes your own, no more relationship with the dealer / finance company
3. Use the equity in the car as a deposit on a new / another car - what most people do as it allows them to get into a new car every couple of years

Hope that explains it, and that you were actually asking a genuine question
Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GarethB
Lease - pay a deposit (3 months rental) then pay a monthly fee, equivalent to renting the car for the term. At the end you give the car back, no strings. You may be able to buy it, but you're not obliged to and it's a separate deal to the lease.

PCP - you're potentially paying off the car (rather than renting it). You pay a deposit, (some flexibility, will impact monthly payments). All the monthlies go to the value of the car. with a "balloon" payment at the end based on the amount you pay on deposit, the monthlies and the final value. At the end you have three choices.
1. hand the car back (to cover the cost of outstanding finance)
2. Pay off the outstanding amount, where the car becomes your own, no more relationship with the dealer / finance company
3. Use the equity in the car as a deposit on a new / another car - what most people do as it allows them to get into a new car every couple of years

Hope that explains it, and that you were actually asking a genuine question
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

What interests me is the small print that surrounds this - if it's worth less than you were told it would be after the term is up. Fine if that's < 10k of supermini but what if that's 40k of German barge and the figures are out by 5k against you.

Quick Reply: Today I'm thinking of buying...