Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

UHS 19 - Under New Ownership ...

Old 12-06-2016, 04:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not too sure about that one but yes, I'm no traffic light drag racer so that's ok
Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Good one and completely left field like all your motors But not really at all just independent thinking. Nice whimsical history and connection of the plate and family automotive past. I see you have the same problem as I do with kerbs and that low front bling splitter. Your rear wing is humongous - functional?

We have rellies by marriage in Frome and in education. New boyfriend is 'site manager' at some wacky private school. Steiner?

edit: I hope you're not driving around all the time with foglights on, or is that running lights?

Last edited by arsie; 12-14-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
edit: I hope you're not driving around all the time with foglights on, or is that running lights?
Yup, they're DRLs, of which I'm not a fan. At least they're not some awful LED lightshow.

Dinged my first alloy putting two wheels on a kerb outside my local chemist. Took it at the same speed I did in the old car but heard the noise as soon as I mounted the kerb. 4" graze which has already "weathered in" and not too noticeable. Those bloody rims stand proud of the tyre, ffs.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I garaged it for the first time last week at night and in total darkness. No problem getting the car into the garage and I've always had some old carpet fixed to the wall to protect the doors. Got out the car, went to shut the garage door, by which time the courtesy lights had gone out, and shut the up-and-over door. "Clang". Effing door caught the spoiler but as it was too dark to see what damage had been done, I had to just run my finger along the edge and yes, could feel a scratch. Wept all night () but was relieved to find in daylight it was barely noticeable. Just need to stick it a further foot into the garage ...
Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 AM

Oh dear spoiled the spoiler - T cut? Wheel rims: maybe try some oversized tyres to protect them.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The BS have rim protectors, but they're next to useless with our exaggerated cambers and vicious granite kerbstones.

The Japanese like kerbed rims as it's ricey, apparently. I'm using that as my excuse for NGAF as I apparently cannot park any more. Actually, it's usually on narrow country roads where I end up dodging stuff, not riding a racetrack kerb...

Damaging stuff takes away the stress of trying to keep a new car looking pristine - usually some kindly person does it for me, though.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
We have rellies by marriage in Frome and in education. New boyfriend is 'site manager' at some wacky private school. Steiner?
Mentioning the Steiner school to my brother Ewan certainly lit the touchpaper ...

He summed it up as private school in nearby Bruton pushes to open a new school in Frome under Gove's free school programme. Public money pumped in, Bruton site subsequently shut down, and many of the former fee-paying pupils at Bruton transfer to Frome and pay nothing. A quick Google suggests it's one of the worst performing schools in the area so money well spent then ... at the expense of the existing state schools in need of new facilities.

If said boyfriend is called Mike then my sister-in-law knows (of) him ...

In other news, the car is now officially run in and going like a train. I made record time with the 420 mile run south (5 hours 50 mins door to door with one fuel stop; today's run north stunk) so just have to wait now and see how many NIPs drop through the letterbox ...

Last edited by Shiskine; 12-26-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Figures, David. Another example of our trusting civil servants - and us - being ripped off. The guy has no teaching qualifications so he cannot teach kids as such but he seems to have an outstanding line in self publicity and bullsh*t.

Another unloved former Education Secretary mentioned only by surname amongst the 'profession'. I too see only harm in endless cheap-skate initiatives in organisation and curriculum. On the other hand, the quality of knowledge in our school population continues to drop down the world league tables: so you can't blame governments for trying, is my view. It all started with 'comprehensivisation' in my father's day, rather than spending properly to implement the Butler 1944 Act (tripartite secondary schools with the options of transfers between them at ages of 13 and 15 - kids were not permanently categorised by the 11 plus) by not building enough secondary technical schools in the middle.

Having a clean slate and nothing but piles of rubble, this was what the West Germans implemented after the last war. Apart from some dirty VW emissions control programming they ain't done bad have they? One plan and do it properly. Although the Marshal Plan helped with financing of course.

Glad to see your motor is of the Japanese philosophy - unlike mine. Sounds like a good 'un

Last edited by arsie; 12-26-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The education system is so bad, most polyingticiunts do not realise that their constant interfering with everything only creates further problems via the law of unintended consequences combining with their Dunning-Kruger egos.

I wouldn't mind, but half the polyingticiunts were privately-educated, which means that even that system does not weed-out the naturally thick adequately.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Good point Nick: call me Dave for example.
Although in the end his over inflated ego was the cause of his downfall not his seriously undersize intellect.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice choice!

I had many variants of the classic shape and would be really keen to try one of these.