Carolinas A Better Place to Be

The Official Charleston Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BOARDPARADISE
I am interested in a meet and of course, having some of my favorite beer from the lowcountry (Westbrook IPA). I saw a group of s2k owners in charlotte do a meet and then go to a brewery and have some beer, would anyone else be interested in doing something like that?
I used to work right next to the Westbrook brewery! Never tried their beer though. I was invited to some sort of private party thing there that involved beer tasting but never made it out. Like I said, I'm up for a cruise and beer!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went to the Kmart meet once years ago. I honestly don't know if it still exists. Let's look to put something together in April.

You should be fine with those sizes. Probably won't need to roll your fenders. Worst case scenario, you might have to run a slight negative camber. But let me know if you still want to get your fenders rolled. If not, it's no big deal. I have family in the upstate. I can have Yves do mine while I'm up there one weekend.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I've been on s2ki, but it looks like I'll be relocating to the area (Summerville/Goose Creek most likely) soon from Columbia. I usually only go to Charleston to head to the beach with the family so I'm not in the S. How are the roads in the area? I'm sitting pretty low right now and dreading that my new job will have speed bumps on the way in. Columbia has pretty terrible roads but I've been here so long I know where I need to slow down or just need to avoid. Looking forward to meeting some new people and getting back to work on the car.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Welcome back! You should be fine for the most part with the roads as long as you can avoid downtown Charleston. Roads are similar to Columbia. I'm not sure where you will be living but many neighborhoods and apartment complexes have speed humps. You may try to visit without your S when searching for a place to live.

Charleston isn't know for it's twisties but there are some great roads if you like to cruise and take in the scenery. I love driving out to Edisto Beach. We talked about getting a small meet up together for the spring. I will have to work on that.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for mounting and balancing tires? I don't want my freshly powder coated wheels all nicked up from sloppy mounting.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gerald's for sure. Summerville, Mt. P, and Sav Hwy had the latest machines. The Summerville location dismounted then re-mounted and balanced my new Z06 run flats last summer
Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemsonWill
Welcome back! You should be fine for the most part with the roads as long as you can avoid downtown Charleston. Roads are similar to Columbia. I'm not sure where you will be living but many neighborhoods and apartment complexes have speed humps. You may try to visit without your S when searching for a place to live.

Charleston isn't know for it's twisties but there are some great roads if you like to cruise and take in the scenery. I love driving out to Edisto Beach. We talked about getting a small meet up together for the spring. I will have to work on that.
I'll be driving my beater truck to learn my routes before I risk another front end for sure. My worse fear is that there will be speed bumps on the way in to my new job forcing me to hard park during the week. Where we are going to live is still up for debate. My wife will still be working in Cola so she wants to stay on the north side of town while I'm interested in garage/lot size. It seems like single car garages are the norm.
I'm pretty easy to spot in the s. Feel free to say hello if you see me around.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see this thread pop up. I don't log in as much any more (hate the format), but I have given up on moving to upstate SC. Got tired of offering full price on houses and getting rejected, bidding wars, etc...Looks like I will be moving to the Charleston area now. More than likely it will be Summerville, Hanahan, or maybe North Charleston. Going to visit 1st week of May hopefully it works out. If you see a rio 05 spitting flames in the next month it's me!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04ssonbl
Gerald's for sure. Summerville, Mt. P, and Sav Hwy had the latest machines. The Summerville location dismounted then re-mounted and balanced my new Z06 run flats last summer
I have used Geralds in Summerville before. Mounted my Jeep's 35s there. They messed up a couple things but were real quick to fix it. I may use them. They are not far from my house.

A lot of the local auto-x guys have recommended Jett wheels in West Ashley. Anyone have experience with them?

Originally Posted by 04Briggs
I'll be driving my beater truck to learn my routes before I risk another front end for sure. My worse fear is that there will be speed bumps on the way in to my new job forcing me to hard park during the week. Where we are going to live is still up for debate. My wife will still be working in Cola so she wants to stay on the north side of town while I'm interested in garage/lot size. It seems like single car garages are the norm.
I'm pretty easy to spot in the s. Feel free to say hello if you see me around.
You might be suited to move out where I am. Off exit 194. Would be easy access for your wife to hit the interstate and you are not but 5 miles from all the shopping in Summerville. House prices are rising pretty quickly with Volvo moving in. Lots of new neighborhoods. You could have something built with a 2 car garage.

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
Glad to see this thread pop up. I don't log in as much any more (hate the format), but I have given up on moving to upstate SC. Got tired of offering full price on houses and getting rejected, bidding wars, etc...Looks like I will be moving to the Charleston area now. More than likely it will be Summerville, Hanahan, or maybe North Charleston. Going to visit 1st week of May hopefully it works out. If you see a rio 05 spitting flames in the next month it's me!
I have friends that live in the Tanner Plantation area of Hanahan. I am always jealous how easy it is for them to get to everywhere in Charleston pretty quickly. I would highly recommend if you are looking for a great area.

Looks like we have a lot of people currently in the area and also some moving to the area soon. You all interested in getting together for a meet in mid May?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just built last year in North Charleston over by the airport. I was phase 2 of 3. The location is decent depending on where you will be working. My office is on Daniel Island so there is really only 1 route to and from which is the dreaded Don Holt Bridge/526. If I leave earlier enough I can make it to work in 20-30 mins. If anything goes wrong on the route I'm sitting for 1.5 hours. The prices in my neighborhood were great when I purchased but they sold out phase 3 in what seemed to be a matter of minutes. Crescent Homes is still building in Summerville in White Gables if you like the "Downtown Charleston" style houses. I'm not a huge fan of the layout or prices. Plus, they are super far from the highway.

Good luck on the house hunt though. I know a great realtor if you need one. She takes her time and makes sure you get what you are looking for.

I'd be down to meet whenever. My schedule is pretty open after work and on weekends. When I lived in Greenville we used to meet every Tuesday for dinner at random spots. We had some pretty killer turn outs and always met good people. I still see a few of them on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: The Official Charleston Thread