The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

Ask UnkieTrunkie V

Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Default Ask UnkieTrunkie V

Hiatus?
Leave of abscence?
New Form?
Whatever. . .

Let us carry on then.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/805...t__p__23351389

Answer: It's English. English, and vintage.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Is mom seeing things?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by vtecmom
Is mom seeing things?

So, I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas again last night. What strikes me the most is the tidy bow either Thompson (or the screenwriter) puts on the end of the thing. I mean, it is fair to blame Timothy Leary and dumb youth. However, it begs the same question that the movie begs: What the f@#k are you looking for? I mean, are you looking for an aesthetic experience in the face of a seemingly plastic, and thusly, possibly anesthetic reality? Or, perhaps, the opposite: an aesthetic escape? Bullshit or not, there are still moments in these 39 years where shit has gotten topsy-turvey twixt the aesthetic and anesthetic. Either way, if my peer group or younger are doing it, it's bullshit. If folks older than me are doing it, it's bullshit someone wants me to buy.

I guess that was an answer. So yeah, you're seeing things. Namely, this.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by vtecmom' timestamp='1420327121' post='23455119
Is mom seeing things?

So, I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas again last night. What strikes me the most is the tidy bow either Thompson (or the screenwriter) puts on the end of the thing. I mean, it is fair to blame Timothy Leary and dumb youth. However, it begs the same question that the movie begs: What the f@#k are you looking for? I mean, are you looking for an aesthetic experience in the face of a seemingly plastic, and thusly, possibly anesthetic reality? Or, perhaps, the opposite: an aesthetic escape? Bullshit or not, there are still moments in these 39 years where shit has gotten topsy-turvey twixt the aesthetic and anesthetic. Either way, if my peer group or younger are doing it, it's bullshit. If folks older than me are doing it, it's bullshit someone wants me to buy.

Happy to hear this it's betA than SOCK's 4 Christmas
Old 01-07-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Is mom seeing things?

Is your job bullshit?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Is mom seeing things?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by shareall
So nested in that lovely tome, is this one, which states:

In the year 1930, John Maynard Keynes predicted that, by century’s end, technology would have advanced sufficiently that countries like Great Britain or the United States would have achieved a 15-hour work week. There’s every reason to believe he was right. In technological terms, we are quite capable of this. And yet it didn’t happen. Instead, technology has been marshaled, if anything, to figure out ways to make us all work more. In order to achieve this, jobs have had to be created that are, effectively, pointless. Huge swathes of people, in Europe and North America in particular, spend their entire working lives performing tasks they secretly believe do not really need to be performed.
The squid-pro-quo of my job centers around the crux of the bullshit: technology. In a best case scenario, I spend a lot of effort trying to reduce the amount of time I spend on certain tasks. The only problem is, as I write scripts, perform the physical installation of systems, debug and root-cause a variety of problems, I push the envelope at which bullshit occurs. The nature of bullshit, insofar as my job is concerned is two-fold:
1. Fresh Bullshit - "Unknown-Unknowns" to use Donald Rumsfeld's parlance. Second-order effects that were unanticipated, errors from situations that have not been previously seen, previously-unknown defects from suppliers all count in this category. I love this bullshit, because the higher it piles is directly proportional to the quality of job I perform: if I have done a good job, I create more bullshit.

2. Same Old Bullshit - This is the bullshit we all know too well. Offensive bullshit, repeating. However, in my job, it's not because there's a desire to create bullshit, rather, it is the fact that we always have 80 hours of bullshit to fill our 40 hour (read: 45-60 in Silicon Valley) sack, so there's always more bullshit than we can handle. In my case though, the stench of that bullshit is mitigated, as we punt the less-foul bullshit for the stuff that is often the most ripe (often, fresh bullshit and necrotic bullshit).

I don't know how other sectors handle technology. We here in Silicon Valley have the best bullshit jobs in the world: we create bullshit through technology. This came out of my ass, now you can have it.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 PM

...This came out of my ass, now you can have it.

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by shareall
It's the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks!
You're welcome.

Related.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Quick Reply: Ask UnkieTrunkie V