Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Foxcatcher

Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Foxcatcher

Saw Foxcatcher earlier this week- likely Steve Carell's best acted work- at least in a non comedic roll.

But boy, was it an odd movie. All the actors were excellent. Look for John Hughes' 80's poster child Anthony Michael Hall as well!

Based on the true story of the US Olympic Wrestling team trained at Foxcatcher Horse ranch leading up to the Seoul Olympics. Carell plays John Du Pont- yes, that Du Pont family. Channing Tatum plays the Olympic hopeful Mark Schultz. Any Google search will tell you what the story is about- spoiler alert there.

Its a slow drama (no, it moves really slowly) about the parallel's of these two men's personal demons- each coming from both sides of the socioeconomic spectrum. As a movie with a deep story, it showcases incredible performances. You really have to be in the mood to see a movie this deep. I just had to see what it was about. Now that i've seen it, I don't have to see it again.

If you truly appreciate movie craft and a well told and deep story, I give it a 9/10. Its just a very odd, very slow moving story of a really flawed character.

If your movie preferences run shallow, don't even bother watching this one- and trust me, I really like the shallow stuff as well- see my next review of Denzel's The Equalizer.

darcy
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's worth a watch if you don't mind a slow movie indeed, it's also very weird. Probably have no intentions of ever watching it again but it's worth a watch if you want to see something different.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Soooooooooooooooooooooo booooooooooorrrrrrrrrrriiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg gggggg.

I wanted to like it but it REALLY dragged. If you cut out the awkward silences during the movie, it would be 20 minutes.

I was interested in the true story and actually got more enjoyment out of googling John DuPont and reading the true accounts than watching the movie.