Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Interstellar

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
I just saw Interstellar. I had no idea what to expect- i had no preconceived ideas of what is was about to embark on.

This excellent and very smart movie, with a massively talented cast- Matt Damon, not withstanding- follows the vibe set by Nolan's previous works like Memento and Inception. This is science fiction at its best- like most all science fiction- you need to leave certain currently accepted scientific facts at the door. This movie taps into a part of our psyche and a part of our brains, we don't typically expect to use at a movie. I am a massive sci fi fan, have a large science back ground, and really get into the concepts explored in this movie.

This is a movie that is way beyond the normal, way beyond the typical Hollywood fare. I would imagine that those who disliked it- or didn't "get it"- typically need to have their movie going experience packaged in an easy to understand, well, package. That is, a movie which explores concepts which are at least within the realm of possibility, or seem like they could be. And there is nothing wrong with that and I'm not insinuating you are anyway wrong in your likes and dislikes. Interstellar references other dimensions, which in themselves, are beyond our human understanding. Often times to understand, one has to experience- like if someone described the feeling of skydiving, you wouldn't get it unless you actually experienced it. Interstellar asks you to take a ride and understand without prior experience.

When I think about other Hollywood movies- say the Avengers or a James Bond flick (which I happen to love), where you just park yourself and escape- Interstellar keeps you thinking during the event and after the credits have rolled. I feel like you need a post grad in science to even be allowed to rent this movie. I will have to see this movie again to glean more- like Prometheus where each subsequent viewing brings a deeper and wider understanding. I hate to sound elitist, but this movie is for the true science fiction officianado- like Primer. It begs to be discussed with many pints of guiness.

I give it a 9.5/10. I'd give it a 10 but Matt Damon was in it.

darcy

p.s. Just for reference, my all time best science fiction movies are the typical shoot'em up types, like 5th element and Aliens.
Really enjoying this movie myself, and after seeing this movie 2 times with two different crowds of people, I totally feel the same way you do about it. Obviously its not palatable for everyone, and those its not for, should maybe just stick to Starwars lol. You did a good proper review