Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

The Martian

Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Martian

Can't wait to see this...hope to catch it on Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI

THE MARTIAN | Teaser Trailer: During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. Millions of miles away, NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring “the Martian” home, while his crewmates concurrently plot a daring, if not impossible rescue mission. As these stories of incredible bravery unfold, the world comes together to root for Watney’s safe return. Based on a best-selling novel, and helmed by master director Ridley Scott, THE MARTIAN features a star studded cast that includes Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Kate Mara, Michael Peña, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Donald Glover.

In Theaters - October 2, 2015

Cast: Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, Michael Peña, Kate Mara, Sean Bean, Sebastian Stan, Aksel Hennie, Donald Glover, Mackenzie Davis, and Chiwetel Ejiofor
Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 AM

Finally saw it last week - it was a great movie. A great combination of drama, tech, comedy and action. It was probably the quickest 2 hours of a movie! It was a little predictable (didn't read the book) but not in a way that made it arduous to watch. Solid 9/10.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I could have used an extra 5 minutes on the front setting up the primary plot device, and tightened up some of the middle bits. Also, and this is now becoming a pet peeve: you go to the effort of making some plausible scientific leaps to help along a good plot. . . but then the spaceships still make the sound in the outer space ("LAAAAAAMMMMME").

Spoiler

That said, it was worth the price of admission, even at full evening price.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

I saw it. The scene with Sean Bean referencing the lord of the rings was worth the price of admission. That is all I have to add.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckon
Finally saw it last week - it was a great movie. A great combination of drama, tech, comedy and action. It was probably the quickest 2 hours of a movie! It was a little predictable (didn't read the book) but not in a way that made it arduous to watch. Solid 9/10.

I agree, it was a pretty good movie! IMO I liked Interstellar a lot more. "Interstellar" contains little to no humor, but I believe that the plot was way more intense than "The Martian". If you haven't seen "Interstellar" yet, I highly recommend it!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Vincentnotvangogh
Originally Posted by Reckon' timestamp='1444918001' post='23776185

I agree, it was a pretty good movie! IMO I liked Interstellar a lot more. "Interstellar" contains little to no humor, but I believe that the plot was way more intense than "The Martian". If you haven't seen "Interstellar" yet, I highly recommend it!
Love Interstellar. Have it on Blu-ray and still watch it once a month or so.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm late to the party, but my wife and I just saw The Martian. The DVD offers extras, which I always appreciate- and the main reason I don't have netflix. But i digress.

First off- I'm a science fiction fan in general, and a fan of Ridley Scott in particular. But hearing all the buzz since The Martian's release had me wondering if it would live up to the hype?

I really enjoyed the movie. Of course, the internet will educate you on the science mistakes- and there are several- but these can be forgiven to advance the story. I agree with the above posts- the movie could move along more quickly thru the middle (there's an extended cut coming out- great...). I just don't know if its deserving of the Best Actor (Matt Damon) or Best Picture nomination. Yes, Matt Damon was very good- one of his best I would say.

For me, best picture (of the movies I've seen, released in 2015) was ex machina. but i digress...again.

I give this movie an 8/10. I just really wish i'd seen it on the big screen.

darcy
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I am even later to the party. I just caught it.

Too long, period. Ridley Scott is a favorite director and his hand is all over this. Long shots of things taking their time. Needless corridor scenes that just fill up space, needless dialogue to flesh out the characters.... Very indulgent.

It's a great film for so many reasons: photography, special effects, writing, direction etc...but it's too damn long. And it occurred to me soon as he was revealed to Earth at the start that all they had to do was crank that ship around, pick him up, and return, meeting a resupply ship someplace in between instead, why not to the rest of the cast?

Magnificent and clever as it maybe to many it was too long to me, so it's a 7.5 outta 10 here.