Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Nightcrawler

Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Nightcrawler

Just finished watching Nightcrawler- Jake Gyllenhaal's 2014 thriller.

The supporting cast includes Renee Russo and BIll Paxton. The movie looks at the sensationalization of violence in news media. Growing up near Detroit, watching the evening news from the motor city, I can speak to this- every local news channel preys on the fears that violence is all around us. The reality is quite the opposite- but its the portrayal of this which sells advertising. I've stopped watching the news because its too damn depressing.

But I digress. Gyllenhaal did an excellent job playing a sociopath who is driven to succeed. Watch for some cool car footage of his Dodge Challenger tearing up the streets of L.A. Certainly, his previous ride was not nearly as cool.

Good movie all in all- and a great rental for a Saturday night. I give it an 8.5/10.

darcy
Old 06-20-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

its on netflix now too. I was really looking fwd to it when I first saw the trailer and was going to buy it on dvd first but I'm glad I didnt. Wasnt nearly as good as the trailer makes it seem
Old 06-20-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
its on netflix now too. I was really looking fwd to it when I first saw the trailer and was going to buy it on dvd first but I'm glad I didnt. Wasnt nearly as good as the trailer makes it seem
Quite the opposite for me, I thought the trailer didn't look that great and went to see it with low expectations. Walked out pleasantly surprised, Jake did an awesome job with this role.