S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

AUX cord install

Old 12-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AUX cord install

Hey everyone.
I finally got fed up with my FM Transmitter and decided to figure out how hardwire a aux cord.
After searching online I found a few options.
A 'interface adapter' which can be found on ebay, amazon, etc. prices range from as low as $15 from what I see. I have no experience with these so I can't say for sure how well they work.
The other option I found was to hardwire into the CD player. From what I read you have to then make a 'false cd' with no sound and play that on repeat to get the sound from your Iphone or Ipod. This option was more in the direction I wanted to go.

I decided to wire into the radio FM/AM functions. Since I never listen to the radio anyway this was the best option for me....and it was FREE.

Fairly simple job.
  1. Remove the head unit, the cover just pulls off and then there are 4 screws holding it to the dash.
  2. Take the head unit covering off. (small Phillips head screws)
  3. Remove the disc changer assembly
  4. Remove the 4 screws holding the board to the case
  5. on the bottom right of that board you will find the radio pins
  6. Take a AUX cord and cut the end off. Mine had 3 wires (Red, Black, And White)
  7. solder the Red to R out (right out), White to L out (left out) and black to GND (ground)
  8. reassemble

I chose to leave the antenna unplugged when I reinstalled not sure if this helps with clarity or not.
The following users liked this post:
huangxny (10-24-2019)
Old 12-15-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Why not get an after market head unit with aux input, usb input, bluetooth, etc.?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Why not get an after market head unit with aux input, usb input, bluetooth, etc.?
i wanted to keep the stock head unit for a few reasons. The aftermarket ones usually have the aux in on the front and I like to keep my little door closed without having to drill any holes or anything. I also wanted to keep my dash button functions without having to buy and install more things to keep them working.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Well, for what its worth - I'm using an Alpine head unit that has good blue tooth. So I drive around with my radio door closed. I use a modifry DCI that makes all the dash buttons work. The quality of the sound is a LOT better than the oem unit. I think the head unit was $100 or so and the modify DCI was about $90. Works great.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Good thinking. Does this work for you OP? Watch your "shiners" ...... I see LOTS of bare copper there.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Good thinking. Does this work for you OP? Watch your "shiners" ...... I see LOTS of bare copper there.
i put it back together and it works good enough for me. No interference unlike with the transmitter i was using. Could i use a hot glue, epoxy, silicone? Something like that to put on the bare wire? Could speaker wire cause a fire or more just interference?
Old 12-22-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

While I don't want to shit on your parade and I applaud you for actually trying, but I purchased a $30 adapter that plugs into the back CD changer port and has a AUX cord on the other end. Looks factory and sounds great.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fernando.
While I don't want to shit on your parade and I applaud you for actually trying, but I purchased a $30 adapter that plugs into the back CD changer port and has a AUX cord on the other end. Looks factory and sounds great.

​​​​​​​where did u put the white main piece at?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Behind the radio inside that removeable panel on the passenger side. I ran the AUX cable out through the crack.
The following users liked this post:
Iilac (12-26-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by fernando.

A friend of mine just got the same thing. Nothing wrong with that and a way easier install. Soldering in a aux cord sounds the same and was free, just showing a second option for anyone that wants to try it.

Quick Reply: AUX cord install