Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

LS Headers Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a neat simple solution which I would say will perform a little better than the flyin miata headers. Turbo or headers forward of the engine would've made things so much easier for this build though fabrication wise. But we are packing more shit into this engine bay than ever done before, so don't have that room and wanted to keep primary length within spec of the custom cam as this is an NA build from day one. I'll have to experiment in future with a 4-1 collector like you linked with shorter primaries but I think it will almost definitely hurt performance on an LS3. The FLyin Miata headers and logs all show gains when going to LT with good merge collectors, this becomes even more prominent on higher output/Ci builds, to order of 30-40hp often. For my end goal, that's an unacceptable compromise but I'm willing to investigate it. That is a compact merge collector indeed but doesn't look shabby at all!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What size motor? It ended up being basically 15 hp worth of problems on the dyno(we had long tubes upside down out the hood to test the difference) to do long runners on my 416ci build. I made 545 wheel with simple shorties dumped to the rear axle(TF 235s, close to .700 lift, fast 102) before we stuck truck manifolds and S480 turbo on it at the end of the year. I appreciate you wanting to get the most of of your build for sure, just want to share some info from some existing big horsepower ls swap S2000s.

My new block was just sleeved for 454 if I continue pushing it down the skirt and don't reduce stroke on this turbo build. At that point I'd look for long tubes if I was going back to NA, but before 427 effort can be better spent elsewhere. I'd stick with your current setup, looks sick.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIWI
Here's what we managed to get to fit. It was too hard to do 4-1, yeah on paper and in cad you can do it but actually doing it is a different thing... a good 4-1 merge collector? Yeah good luck fitting that without scraping it everywhere on this build. I don't know how I'll make it work in future but that is a goal, maybe a slightly different approach, custom oval based unit.. This will always be NA or nitrous at most (150 shot in future with current engine). When I go to a 496 or so I want to buy an exhaust mockup kit and do it the 'real life cad' way. 2" primaries will really be nearly impossible otherwise. 1 7/88th/18nd or whatever fraction bullshit it was in the end is bad enough (I think 1 7/8 or 1 3/4?) but to a 3" after collector. I love using CAD but for the exhausts it really came down to make it fit with all the rest of the crap jammed in there already.

I'm CADing a tuned resonator system currently to fit between the frame rails, fuel lines and clear of the diff/driveshaft, have the exhaust down to 95db cali spec so far with the help of the awesome K24 CRV guy at Flowmaster!
It's on schedule to be finished in Feb. I'm damn excited after waiting for three friggen years to get this thing rolling again.

Cheers
That is a very enticing set up. I may need to pass these pictures along to the guy working on my exhaust.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tehk
What size motor? It ended up being basically 15 hp worth of problems on the dyno(we had long tubes upside down out the hood to test the difference) to do long runners on my 416ci build. I made 545 wheel with simple shorties dumped to the rear axle(TF 235s, close to .700 lift, fast 102) before we stuck truck manifolds and S480 turbo on it at the end of the year. I appreciate you wanting to get the most of of your build for sure, just want to share some info from some existing big horsepower ls swap S2000s.

My new block was just sleeved for 454 if I continue pushing it down the skirt and don't reduce stroke on this turbo build. At that point I'd look for long tubes if I was going back to NA, but before 427 effort can be better spent elsewhere. I'd stick with your current setup, looks sick.
Very interesting info thanks, it's rare to come across someone doing more than LS1 or LS2 so this is very good to know. 15hp up top but surely all around would've been a decent chunk right from midrange up? Depending on engines, but most with NA setups in gen 5 camaros, I see 30-40hp can be gained between simple logs and glass pack mufflers and a properly designed LT+collectors + resonator+properly selected muffler all tuned to application.

What sort of sleeves and block are you using and does the skirt still poke out the bottom?

I too want to go where you're heading in the next year or so, somewhere from 440-502 depending on final block and build selected. Some opt to go more RPM and smaller cubes, others go more cubes less RPM. More RPM seems a tiny little quicker on the track but at what cost/benefit.... that with a sequential and aeros sorted and suspension dialed in, I can pretty much say 'finished' and just enjoy the car as is . But I want to get it finished as is and enjoy it at least sometime this year while sorting the rest. LS3 should keep me interested for a while. Litre bikes have spoilt me though
Old 01-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by lolS2K
That is a very enticing set up. I may need to pass these pictures along to the guy working on my exhaust.
Cheers! It took a lot of poking around and twiddling thumbs to fit it all in, but it can be done without cutting subframes or denting things or notching stuff with care. Some days I wish I had just got some logs and spend the money on nitrous... and Welds with some DRs. Would've been quicker. SS custom fab like that can get too damn expensive fast, keep this in mind if you're not getting it at mates rates. Could have turbod the entire thing professionally (Holsets and the rest) for the price of this exhaust system once it's all done. But it's also ready (other than headers) to be swapped to a 400-500ci engine, so do it properly, do it once applies here too, which doesn't help keep it cheap.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM

So I went with Hooker Block Hugger headers (Part #2313HKR) and they clear everything nicely. Plenty of room between the header and steering rack on the driver side. Will get some pictures later, but in the meantime here's the link to the part on summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...3hkr/overview/

And here's a gratuitous shot of my build so far:

Last edited by lolS2K; 03-02-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good man! It also looks like the import muscle stuff puts the engine lower than my mounts. Pretty interesting! As a side note these wont work on a motormount swap
Old 03-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested to see pics of how these Hookers fit. As soon as I'm done redoing the sloppy wiring on my car and the weather gets decent, I'm planning to get a whole new exhaust setup done. Was leaning towards either Sanderson LS158 or Sanderson V8RLS1 (miata setup). But if these are decent quality, fit well, and I like where the outlets fall, they'd save me a few bucks over the Sandersons
Old 03-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tehk
Looking good man! It also looks like the import muscle stuff puts the engine lower than my mounts. Pretty interesting! As a side note these wont work on a motormount swap
Correct, I'll update the OP.

Originally Posted by absolootbs
Very interested to see pics of how these Hookers fit. As soon as I'm done redoing the sloppy wiring on my car and the weather gets decent, I'm planning to get a whole new exhaust setup done. Was leaning towards either Sanderson LS158 or Sanderson V8RLS1 (miata setup). But if these are decent quality, fit well, and I like where the outlets fall, they'd save me a few bucks over the Sandersons
I forgot to take pictures from underneath but that collector points really close to the subframe (where the OEM engine mounts sit). With some tight bends we should be able to clear it no problem though. I'll post some pictures when it's done.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Here is the start of the exhaust. This was the hard part, lots of pie... The rest should go swimmingly. You can really see how they point directly at the OEM mounts in the picture of the passenger side.

Driver Side:

Passenger side: