Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

LS Swap - Retaining AC

Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS Swap - Retaining AC

Just reaching out to see if anyone on here has done the required wiring and plumbing to get AC working again. I currently have the GM AC compressor installed and still have all the Honda condenser/canister/lines as well as the lines that came on the GM compressor. I haven't done any wiring regarding the compressor yet.

Who has done it that is willing to have a conversation about what wiring needs to be "converted" and how they handled their plumbing connections?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you made progress? I'm in the process of doing mine right now. If you want to run it the correct way (ie via the PCM as GM intended), then you'll need to wire in the GM pressure switch. Doesn't seem many people are interested in keeping AC in these cars, so info is sparse. Mine is full custom made hose/line. The LS1 compressor fitting is custom too as all the off the shelf units I found (and wasted money on) orient the wrong way or have interference with the headers, and/or the compressor bracket. One of the vendors on ebay actually recommends LEAVING A COMPRESSOR BOLT off to clear his product. This is stupid! If you want to keep the lines coming out of the s2k evap you could about chop off the suction line around the shock tower and convert to beadlock fittings, then go hose from the beadlock fitting to the compressor with barrier hose. Then you could chop off the stock s2k discharge line coming off the condensor (near the radiator on the driver side) and go to beadlock/barrier hose back to the compressor. Then all you'd have to do is make sure you put the GM pressure sensor in somewhere and wire it all up. You can either put it in the barrier hose section or on the hardline. They make both type of adapters. Beadlock fittings and barrier hose are super cheap and you can buy a crimper to make the hose 100% at home surprisingly cheap. The reduced barrier hose isn't something that can be done DIY very easily as the tooling is quite a bit more expensive as are the fittings. All you would have to outsource (unless you can tig) will be adding the beadlock adapters to your hardlines. These need to be tigged or brazed on. And of course, you can always get really expensive and do all Aeroquip braided line and fittings. Each of those fittings is around $40-60, and the line itself is around $10-20 a foot so it adds up quick. Also, if you look up oil recommendations you'll see the Honda uses PAG 46 and GM LS1 originally used PAG 150. I say originally because GM put out TSB later on directing service centers to start servicing the ac systems with PAG 46. So no issues there. If you want to chat more about the a/c situation shoot me a text at 214-662-4253.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Wow Jonathan thank you for your reply! I have made zero progress as I'm more focused on getting this thing on the road now. I figured the AC stuff would make a good winter project but i was hoping to gather info before then. This helps out immensely to get me started in the right direction.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are brave. I just ripped the entire AC/heating system out in a rush to get this car done in under 8 months before I get used to not driving it and quit like many swappers. It is a serious time crunch to get AC going in a swap especially when it doesnt help you go faster.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tehk
You guys are brave. I just ripped the entire AC/heating system out in a rush to get this car done in under 8 months before I get used to not driving it and quit like many swappers. It is a serious time crunch to get AC going in a swap especially when it doesnt help you go faster.
But when your goal is to build a street car in the south, its definitely a consideration LOL.

FYI and for my future reference, here's the Honda AC system wiring diagram.

LS Swap - Retaining AC-d4quy0x.png
Old 09-24-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Any luck on this project? My car is coming to finish soon...again, I hope (after 2 years)!!

Since I'm not going to get much seat time before the cold weather, I'd like to tackle the AC project on my car this winter. Any updated info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Luder94
Any luck on this project? My car is coming to finish soon...again, I hope (after 2 years)!!

Since I'm not going to get much seat time before the cold weather, I'd like to tackle the AC project on my car this winter. Any updated info would be greatly appreciated!
What information do you want?

My ac lines are totally done.

Since my first post I actually went back and did it all in reduced barrier line.

Years ago it was cost prohibitive to do reduced barrier at home and I never looked back into it.

But mastercool actually offers all the reduced barrier dies so I bought the full set and made all my lines in reduced barrier hose. Fully tucked.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_ed3
Originally Posted by Luder94' timestamp='1474734942' post='24069085

What information do you want?

My ac lines are totally done.

Since my first post I actually went back and did it all in reduced barrier line.

Years ago it was cost prohibitive to do reduced barrier at home and I never looked back into it.

But mastercool actually offers all the reduced barrier dies so I bought the full set and made all my lines in reduced barrier hose. Fully tucked.

I don't know what I need just yet. The shop that has my car is just getting to finish the wiring and remounting the dashboard with fuseboxes and ECU tucked nicely behind and underneath it. I'd like for them to get the car running again; it's been over 5 years since I drove it, they've had it for the last two years, got stuck at another shop for a year before that, at a bodyshop for a year before that, and sat a year in my garage the year before.

Once it's running, the exhaust needs to be done, intake piping needs to be done, bodyshop to have at it again (just to clean up), and then next spring, work the car over. I'll look to figuring out or getting AC to work sometime next spring. By then, if you decide to make another pair of lines, let me know please. I will definitely need help with wiring....I don't know what's what when it comes to wiring.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Well while they're doing the wiring have them go ahead and put some wiring through your firewall for the GM high pressure switch. And of course add ls1 ac compressor wiring into your engine harness loom unless you want it separate. No time like the present to do it if they're already working on wiring!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a real hard time fitting AC in mine because of the dry sump pump and lower hood.

So, for now it's last priority but my backup is an electric AC unit, connected to the stock S2K evap/lines. Earlier prius units were AC driven and more easily adapted, but it's hard to find info on these. There are pricier units available off shelf but they're 1-1.5kUSD, which is a little steep for a convertible where I'll usually have the top down anyway in summer... (it's not a desert here!).
That said it seems business wise things are going okay finally, so I may just elect to do it.. fingers crossed. It would be nice to be able to put the top up and get that awesome AC kick the stock system had, plus the weight penalty looks to be under 8kg. The evap is light as hell and the pump doesn't weigh much.

My daily beater doesn't even have AC though, so I'm really just being a spoilt brat at this stage xD

Quick Reply: LS Swap - Retaining AC