Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Sebring/Homestead

Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebring/Homestead

Hey guys so I'd like to hear some of your input. I really have the urge to track my car, but would like to know exactly what is needed for our local tracks. I would most likely be going the NASA route unless there is a better club to get started through. So my question is:

Are the stock roll hoops enough for either track?
If not what do you recommend, hardtop vs roll bar (price point and install)

Are there any club events that have more affordable registration fees?

Radiator or oil cooler important enough for first time?

In short, I know brake pads and fluids are a must and already have good tires. I will however be starting USF next year so I'm really looking for a cost effective route that meets these track's requirements. I really appreciate any suggestions guys, thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did my first ever track day with NASA at Sebring two-ish years ago in June so very hot. NASA allows factory roll hoops. They offered $75 or $100 off for first time participants at the time.

Things I did:

Upgraded brake fluid to ATE (your choice).

Changed all fluids before hand as it had been a while anyway.

My street wheels werent very functional so I threw on a set of ap1 wheels with new rs3v2s. Not necessary at all but a decent tire is a good idea and especially make sure you have lots of tread.

I have drilled rotors that I daily'd so I bought a cheap set of rotors and some carbotech pads. I was driving my car nearly 100 miles a day at the time so I just wanted to have a seperate set. If you do not have alot of experience stock pads with lots of life should be fine.

Thats about it. Jack the car up and do a good inspection, make sure your battery is tied down and remove lose stuff you dont need.

I have a cheap ebay alum radiator but no oil cooler.. I know some of the guys on here ran with a stock radiator.

If you do sebring id recommend bringing a gas can filled up. A full day on the track (4 sessions) and I ran out trying to make it into town. Otherwise you can go during the lunch break to fill up.

It was alot of money but so worth it.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRSKLLR
Hey guys so I'd like to hear some of your input. I really have the urge to track my car, but would like to know exactly what is needed for our local tracks. I would most likely be going the NASA route unless there is a better club to get started through. So my question is:
Good to hear! NASA is an excellent organization, there's quite a few of us who are NASA instructors on the board.

Are the stock roll hoops enough for either track?
If not what do you recommend, hardtop vs roll bar (price point and install)
Stock roll hoops are good for both tracks with most groups. I know NASA/Chin/PCA/HOD are all good with stock hoops locally. You must run top down, which gets hot during the summer.
Harddog and Rockstar garage roll bars are both very good bars that replace the stock hoops. There are bars that retain the stock hoops, Dave can chime in what bar he has.

Are there any club events that have more affordable registration fees?
NASA and Hooked On Driving (HOD) are among the most affordable. If you email NASA SouthEast you can get a $100 coupon for your first event.
Chin and PCA tend to be more expensive, which attracts a more affluent audience

Radiator or oil cooler important enough for first time?
Stock radiator will be ok for your first event. Keep an eye on temps, but anything <210F is perfectly fine IMO.
Opinions will vary on the necessity for a radiator and oil cooler. I have an upgraded radiator and oil cooler, but there are people on this board with stock radiator and no oil cooler who are way faster than me and haven't had any issues. Keeping an eye on water temps is important, again, IMO.

In short, I know brake pads and fluids are a must and already have good tires. I will however be starting USF next year so I'm really looking for a cost effective route that meets these track's requirements. I really appreciate any suggestions guys, thanks!
Brake pads and all fluids (brake, clutch, diff, trans, oil) are a must. Good tires aren't necessary, too good of tires can actually hide a lot of bad habits.
Just keep in mind this is an expensive hobby. It can get very tempting to throw a ton of cash at the car very quickly, try not to fall into that trap. The s2000 is very very capable out of the box. Focus on reliability mods first.

Hope to see you out at an event soon!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much all of the above is it.

Ive had a stock radiator and no oil cooler for 5 years of tracking my S2k.

Fresh fluids all around is a good idea.

Tires anything 200TW or higher will be good. You wont even get close to getting everything out of the top from of 200TW tires your first few events.

For brakes I would recommend fresh fluid, and HP+ pads. Stock is fine until you pick up some speed then they melt.

For the cost, its hard to beat NASA as its 2 days. With HOD its ~300 per day at sebring so its closer to 600 for a weekend where nasa is 4 and change. NASA also doesn't charge extra for instructors.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
I did my first ever track day with NASA at Sebring two-ish years ago in June so very hot. NASA allows factory roll hoops. They offered $75 or $100 off for first time participants at the time.

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Originally Posted by FRSKLLR' timestamp='1455124299' post='23876891
Good to hear! NASA is an excellent organization, there's quite a few of us who are NASA instructors on the board.

Originally Posted by slowd16
really appreciate all the info guys! any idea how much a diff and tranny oil change should be? one dealership quoted me 160 for the diff..
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Also when you say 200tw or higher, I have 255 94w star specs, is that an okay tire to learn on? I've noticed they don't make any noise really so it might be hard to tell when you're at the limit.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer' timestamp='1455125707' post='23876926

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Originally Posted by FRSKLLR' timestamp='1455124299' post='23876891

Originally Posted by slowd16
really appreciate all the info guys! any idea how much a diff and tranny oil change should be? one dealership quoted me 160 for the diff..
Geez.. Theyre both pretty easy to change. I'd start learning how to do that stuff if you really want to do track days or the cost is going to go up exponentially. Dont mean that in a bad way but stealership labor (and parts) prices are ridiculous.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Also when you say 200tw or higher, I have 255 94w star specs, is that an okay tire to learn on? I've noticed they don't make any noise really so it might be hard to tell when you're at the limit.
Treadwear is also on the sidewall of the tire. The Star Specs are a 200TW tire and you will be fine. Focus on making sure your brake setup will survive the track day.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by FRSKLLR' timestamp='1455133558' post='23877116
Treadwear is also on the sidewall of the tire. The Star Specs are a 200TW tire and you will be fine. Focus on making sure your brake setup will survive the track day.
this. they will scream when you get near teh limit on track.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

All you'll need fresh Autozone brake fluid and a set of those HP+ pads for the front assuming your tires are above the wear bars. Get a feel for how expensive the event might be with the unexpecteds like buying us a round at Don Jose's. Save everything else for you second event. If your near Palm Beach Ill help you learn how to maintain the car to save a few bucks. If your half way close to a track go check out the next event and just walk around and talk to people. Its usually free to watch an event. If your schedule lets you do a NASA or Hooked on Driving event some/all of us will be there. Your in luck, Florida S2000 track crew is a great group. Its f@#ked up how few people join us considering how much we post here and much fun it is.

Quick Reply: Sebring/Homestead