Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Hello, Would like some help, if possible

Old 06-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9KEVERYDAY
Originally Posted by 8BALL' timestamp='1465245221' post='23986406
[quote name='9KEVERYDAY' timestamp='1465226129' post='23986088']
[quote name='8BALL' timestamp='1464989671' post='23984254']
You'll enjoy it more and more every day you drive it. I know it's a haul... but come to one of our install days and meet some of our members. I'll be more than happy to put you up for the night.

Also... being in SO MO... reach out to Julie from the OKie group. You are probably closer to her than us. Good luck with the car - Enjoy it!!!
Thanks 8Ball! Hell yeah man! I would love to meet up with the STL crew! I didn't see any events you guys have coming up, is there anything planned that isn't posted?
Check out our event calendar posted at the top of our forum.
[/quote]

Thanks again 8BALL. Has anyone attended the SCCA PDX before? I would really like to get some seat time with the S2K and learn how she moves when she gets more close to the limit. I don't really want to find this out on the streets/backroads....
[/quote]

There are several guys that go to PDX and Autocross. One of them is a coach with a k20 or 24 swap cant remimber. Of course this is at Gateway in IL, May be too far of a drive for you.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Driving different "marks" (2-year generations) of the S2000 will not answer your questions due to the almost endless combinations of suspensions and especially tires on our cars. Just read the posts this week comparing some new Continental tires to some extreme summer Bridgestones on the same car. Comparing them all with the same tires would be interesting but even then Honda altered the suspension every two years to (we assume) tame the tendency of the 1999-built cars to snap oversteer. Oversteer is fun but it's not fast. The later the car, the less tendency to oversteer. 2006 and later includes stability assist. Any "mods" (few of us can keep our hands off the cars) and comparisons fly out the window.

Nice thing about these all being used cars is we get our choice of generations. I just looked for the nicest pure stock 2006+ I could find two years ago for the stability and the ability to tune the engine for startling more mid-range horsepower and acceleration. Earlier generations require a replacement or piggyback ECU.

Finally keep in mind these cars are all discards. Any previous owner got rid of them for one reason or another.

-- Chuck
Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kadvent
Originally Posted by 9KEVERYDAY' timestamp='1465415086' post='23988424
[quote name='8BALL' timestamp='1465245221' post='23986406']
[quote name='9KEVERYDAY' timestamp='1465226129' post='23986088']
[quote name='8BALL' timestamp='1464989671' post='23984254']
You'll enjoy it more and more every day you drive it. I know it's a haul... but come to one of our install days and meet some of our members. I'll be more than happy to put you up for the night.

Also... being in SO MO... reach out to Julie from the OKie group. You are probably closer to her than us. Good luck with the car - Enjoy it!!!
Thanks 8Ball! Hell yeah man! I would love to meet up with the STL crew! I didn't see any events you guys have coming up, is there anything planned that isn't posted?
Check out our event calendar posted at the top of our forum.
[/quote]

Thanks again 8BALL. Has anyone attended the SCCA PDX before? I would really like to get some seat time with the S2K and learn how she moves when she gets more close to the limit. I don't really want to find this out on the streets/backroads....
[/quote]

There are several guys that go to PDX and Autocross. One of them is a coach with a k20 or 24 swap cant remimber. Of course this is at Gateway in IL, May be too far of a drive for you.
[/quote]

Thanks man! The drive isn't too bad. Close to 2 hours I would say. Not terrible but I would definitely want to make a day out of it to make it worth it.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Driving different "marks" (2-year generations) of the S2000 will not answer your questions due to the almost endless combinations of suspensions and especially tires on our cars. Just read the posts this week comparing some new Continental tires to some extreme summer Bridgestones on the same car. Comparing them all with the same tires would be interesting but even then Honda altered the suspension every two years to (we assume) tame the tendency of the 1999-built cars to snap oversteer. Oversteer is fun but it's not fast. The later the car, the less tendency to oversteer. 2006 and later includes stability assist. Any "mods" (few of us can keep our hands off the cars) and comparisons fly out the window.

Nice thing about these all being used cars is we get our choice of generations. I just looked for the nicest pure stock 2006+ I could find two years ago for the stability and the ability to tune the engine for startling more mid-range horsepower and acceleration. Earlier generations require a replacement or piggyback ECU.

Finally keep in mind these cars are all discards. Any previous owner got rid of them for one reason or another.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck! I actually bought an 03. I couldn't let go of the 9k redline. I know it isn't as powerful and the gearing is different, but playing in VTEC with 3K rpms is a song that I love to hear
Old 06-11-2016, 04:30 AM

You're right on the red line and the tach display going the full width of the panel is awesome as well!

I've always been envious of the extra 1000rpm available, especially in VTEC. AP1 gets 4000, AP2 only gets 3000.

-- Chuck
Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You're right on the red line and the tach display going the full width of the panel is awesome as well!

I've always been envious of the extra 1000rpm available, especially in VTEC. AP1 gets 4000, AP2 only gets 3000.

-- Chuck
Not to be Mr. Internet fact guy, but the AP1 has 6k-9k = 3k rpm in VTEC. I thought the AP2 VTEC engagement was at 6 or 5700 -8K, so 2-2300 rpm in VTEC
Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 AM

You mean 9,000 - 6,000 isn't 4000! No wonder my check book balance is always off! You're correct, of course! But there's still an extra 1,000 rpm of available VTEC in stock tune.

-- Chuck
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 AM

Haha, yeah, that sold me much more than the added torque. That coupled with the slight gearing change, it feels like you get to hang out in Vtec when your up there :-)

What mods do you have on your S, Chuck?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:27 PM

My car is basically stock. Just like I bought it. Well, actually not as the car had horrible black aftermarket wheels on it and I retrofitted OEM wheels,

"Power" mods consist of FIPK intake, Berk 63.5mm high flow cat, and Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust. And a Suspension is OEM. Tires are OEM size RE-11A due for replacement in a month or two.

Cosmetics consist of clear sidelights (yellow bulbs), Alumacraft (sic) rear diffuser, CR radio door and shift knob with the pattern in black, not yellow; and a good looking AEM shock tower brace that's handy do lean on when working on the car. The FIPK exposes a structural cross member so I fitted a brushed stainless steel cover the guys in the UK were making. Modify rev alarm -- with the Gernby tune the rpms climb much faster and with the wide VTEC band it doesn't drop out of VTEC during shifts.

-- Chuck
Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guy's heads up we have a Get Together this Thursday at Stefanina's Pizza follow this link or go to the Stefania" get together site.

Quick Reply: Hello, Would like some help, if possible