Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Looking for good Honda/S2K mechanic in STL area

Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good Honda/S2K mechanic in STL area

Hi everyone,

This weekend I picked up an S2000 -- first one I've ever owned (and my first Honda as well). It's an AP1 with ~60k miles on it. The car's in really nice shape and seems to run well, but the previous owner did not keep maintenance records for the past 10 years besides oil changes.

Since I don't have a detailed history of maintenance on the car, I was thinking about having a comprehensive tune-up/preventative maintenance done to it, in order to "reset" the car maintenance-wise and have a clean slate to get started on following the factory maintenance schedule from that point forward. I'm wanting to do the following:

- Oil/filter change
- Replace air filter
- Replace cabin air filter

- Replace trans fluid
- Replace diff fluid
- Replace brake fluid
- Flush/replace coolant

- Replace spark plugs
- Replace PCV
- Valve adjustment
- Inspect valve keepers/retainers for damage

Individually, I'd probably be able to do most of this stuff in my garage on my own. However, since I've got such a long to-do list, I was hoping to save some time and have a mechanic take care of these items this time.

Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations as to a good Honda shop (ideally with S2000 experience) in the St. Louis area that would be able to do these things for a fair price? Unfortunately a search for "St. Louis mechanic recommendations" did not yield any good info. As a newbie to the Honda and S2000 scene, it'd be nice to know some of the "go to" Honda mechanics in the area in case I do need any more major work done in the future. Thanks!

James

EDIT -- To pre-empt any "pics or GTFO" issues, lol:
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately there are no good mechanics in the St. Louis area (not that we were able to find). Not sure I trust anyone at the local dealerships. Most of the stuff you listed is and can be done by club members.

If you're in the know, it's best to do these for yourself!

BTW - Congrats on your purchase
Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM

James,
As 8Ball stated most of what you want to do, we do our selves, and we can do on the next Detail/Install Day in Sept. as there will be a lift to use in Sept. and the Fluid changes you want to do go pretty easily. I would also add clutch fluid to your list. What you could do is Oil/Filter change as needed till Sept. all that would be cheaper to do then, then even a trusted Mechanic.

Congratulations on the S
Old 04-28-2015, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your replies 8BALL and Deepblue -- glad to see that the local community is willing to help out with DIYs. That's one of the reasons I was really excited to get an S2K, since I know the forum members and local clubs are full of great info and support.

It's a bummer that no one has found a go-to indie shop around here for our cars. I suppose I'll eventually get better with a wrench because of it, haha. Individually I would probably just go ahead and do all of these things myself (or maybe everything except for the valve adjustment, brake fluid, and coolant flush). However, right now I'm willing to spend a bit more now to have everything done all at once, and not have to take a solid day or two's worth of time (which I don't have at the moment) to do it. I also don't want to wait all the way to September and put a bunch of miles on it this summer without getting the car up to date on maintenance.

If you HAD to take your car to the dealer for those things, is there any service dept. around here that you've heard people have had a good experience at? Alternatively, I'm willing to pay for materials and time if an experienced forum member feels like making a few bucks sometime over the next couple of weeks. Any takers? :-)

Originally Posted by 8BALL
Unfortunately there are no good mechanics in the St. Louis area (not that we were able to find). Not sure I trust anyone at the local dealerships. Most of the stuff you listed is and can be done by club members.

If you're in the know, it's best to do these for yourself!

BTW - Congrats on your purchase

Originally Posted by Deepblue
James,
As 8Ball stated most of what you want to do, we do our selves, and we can do on the next Detail/Install Day in Sept. as there will be a lift to use in Sept. and the Fluid changes you want to do go pretty easily. I would also add clutch fluid to your list. What you could do is Oil/Filter change as needed till Sept. all that would be cheaper to do then, then even a trusted Mechanic.

Congratulations on the S
Old 04-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James

Welcome to the club and purchase of the S.

We can help with the items below but it's a little early for the plugs and iffy on the keeper/retainer as if the engine only has 60k I would suspect that the prior owner likely didn't dog the car. I did mine 2yrs ago due to my tracking my car but mine were in perfect shape after inspection/removal.

You'll need to buy your fluids/filters but we can get the car on the lift to help. The coolant is probably ok but it's up to you. My 02 still has original fluid.

The list below could be knocked out easy. Just reply with a phone so we can connect your Guest access doesn't allow a PM to be sent.

Oil/filter change
- Replace air filter

- Replace trans fluid
- Replace diff fluid
- Replace brake fluid
- Flush/replace coolant

Originally Posted by Jimbogiant
Hi everyone,

This weekend I picked up an S2000 -- first one I've ever owned (and my first Honda as well). It's an AP1 with ~60k miles on it. The car's in really nice shape and seems to run well, but the previous owner did not keep maintenance records for the past 10 years besides oil changes.

Since I don't have a detailed history of maintenance on the car, I was thinking about having a comprehensive tune-up/preventative maintenance done to it, in order to "reset" the car maintenance-wise and have a clean slate to get started on following the factory maintenance schedule from that point forward. I'm wanting to do the following:

- Oil/filter change
- Replace air filter

- Replace trans fluid
- Replace diff fluid
- Replace brake fluid
- Flush/replace coolant

- Replace spark plugs
- Replace PCV
- Valve adjustment

Individually, I'd probably be able to do most of this stuff in my garage on my own. However, since I've got such a long to-do list, I was hoping to save some time and have a mechanic take care of these items this time.

Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations as to a good Honda shop (ideally with S2000 experience) in the St. Louis area that would be able to do these things for a fair price? Unfortunately a search for "St. Louis mechanic recommendations" did not yield any good info. As a newbie to the Honda and S2000 scene, it'd be nice to know some of the "go to" Honda mechanics in the area in case I do need any more major work done in the future. Thanks!

James

Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 PM

James tried to PM you earlier But guest access as Ray said didn't let me. I had talked to him earlier about setting something up for you, as you can see. Ray or I needs number or email to contact you with, to set it up. No compensation necessary. We did this 2 weeks ago at Rays on Install Day.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Thanks so much for the gracious offer to help! I'm more than happy to supply all the materials needed.

Regarding the plugs and valve adjustment, I do realize that the car hasn't hit the mileage interval for those yet; however, I believe the maintenance schedule calls for those items at 7 years if you haven't hit the 105k mark yet, and truth be told I'm completely fine with spending the cash for the plugs and valve cover gasket now in order to just get EVERYTHING reset maintenance wise. I'm also paranoid and would just like to have confirmation that the retainers are in good shape, just need to do that for my peace of mind. From what I understand you check for damage just by pulling the valve cover and using a dental mirror to check the intake valves for recessed keepers/cotters: https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__17188402

I will warn you, other than changing my own oil and things like filters, I really don't have a ton of experience with this kind of stuff, and I definitely have never done anything like a valve adjustment before. Part of the reason I'm willing to pay a professional to do this stuff this time is because I just don't have the time to research and learn how to do all of this stuff at once, and I don't yet have a great handle on what exact parts I will need for each bit of maintenance I'm wanting to do. Once I get everything done this time, I would plan on DIY-ing all my future maintenance when I wouldn't be doing so many things at once.

You guys can reach me to discuss further, works too. Where do you guys generally go for these parts/materials? Any local Honda parts departments that come close to internet prices? Thanks again for your time, advice, and information, this is really awesome of you guys to do for a newbie.

James

Originally Posted by SmagsS2k
James

Welcome to the club and purchase of the S.

We can help with the items below but it's a little early for the plugs and iffy on the keeper/retainer as if the engine only has 60k I would suspect that the prior owner likely didn't dog the car. I did mine 2yrs ago due to my tracking my car but mine were in perfect shape after inspection/removal.

You'll need to buy your fluids/filters but we can get the car on the lift to help. The coolant is probably ok but it's up to you. My 02 still has original fluid.

The list below could be knocked out easy. Just reply with a phone so we can connect your Guest access doesn't allow a PM to be sent.

Oil/filter change
- Replace air filter

- Replace trans fluid
- Replace diff fluid
- Replace brake fluid
- Flush/replace coolant

Originally Posted by Jimbogiant' timestamp='1430108181' post='23592350
Hi everyone,

- Oil/filter change
- Replace air filter

- Replace trans fluid
- Replace diff fluid
- Replace brake fluid
- Flush/replace coolant

- Replace spark plugs
- Replace PCV
- Valve adjustment

James

James tried to PM you earlier But guest access as Ray said didn't let me. I had talked to him earlier about setting something up for you, as you can see. Ray needs number or email to contact you with, to set it up. No compensation necessary. We did this 2 weeks ago at Rays on Install Day.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a spare set of rear diff fill and drain washers and tranny fill and drain washers from HandA Accessories last week and have the oil drain plug crush washer and filters. Check autozone for the CAI and cabin filter or order from HandA as Napleton and Leta will likely be much higher. They have a shipping discount now and go ahead and order a 6 pack of oil filters if you plan to keep the car along with other items you need for the future. I like to use Honda parts but air and cabin aren't going to be that different. Another member may have an extra.

You'll need 2 qt of Honda Man Trans fluid and 1 qt of Mobil 1 75W-90 LS synthetic diff fluid and oil for the oil change.

I have a set of intake retainer/keepers that I'll sell you as I only did the intake valves. I have the right tool for valve adjustment and for the retainer/keeper removal if it's needed. I'll admit that you better have good eyes to find a hairline crack. If you pull the cover, I'd go ahead and replace the gasket.

Spark plugs -Order them-I found the best price at Advance Auto for the Iridiums plugs but check around- I paid about $12 each from memory.

A few other things to check is your Timing chain tensioner and torque on the rear axle nuts.

Club members do get a bit of a discount at Leta and Napleton for what it's worth but online is still usually worth it if you can wait a few days.

I also have a set of seat warmers if you're interested. Best $$ I've spent and work great.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for good Honda/S2K mechanic in STL area-dsc01927.jpg   Looking for good Honda/S2K mechanic in STL area-dsc01930.jpg   Looking for good Honda/S2K mechanic in STL area-dsc01931.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 PM

Huge thanks to Ray and Dan -- we knocked out almost everything I was wanting to get done over a few hours in Ray's garage! Just a PSA to anyone that may be reading this, if you haven't changed your clutch fluid in a few years, do it. Both Ray and my reservoirs were pretty nasty, haha.

It was really great meeting both of you guys! I will definitely be getting involved in future club activities and meet-ups, and a sincere thank you goes out to Ray for offering your precious weekend time (and your impressive garage!) to a new member. It's stuff like this that makes me really excited to be a part of the group. The generosity that both Ray and Dan showed with respect to their time and their willingness to share their knowledge/expertise on the cars was simply awesome.

James

James tried to PM you earlier But guest access as Ray said didn't let me. I had talked to him earlier about setting something up for you, as you can see. Ray or I needs number or email to contact you with, to set it up. No compensation necessary. We did this 2 weeks ago at Rays on Install Day.

Originally Posted by SmagsS2k
I bought a spare set of rear diff fill and drain washers and tranny fill and drain washers from HandA Accessories last week and have the oil drain plug crush washer and filters. Check autozone for the CAI and cabin filter or order from HandA as Napleton and Leta will likely be much higher. They have a shipping discount now and go ahead and order a 6 pack of oil filters if you plan to keep the car along with other items you need for the future. I like to use Honda parts but air and cabin aren't going to be that different. Another member may have an extra.

You'll need 2 qt of Honda Man Trans fluid and 1 qt of Mobil 1 75W-90 LS synthetic diff fluid and oil for the oil change.

I have a set of intake retainer/keepers that I'll sell you as I only did the intake valves. I have the right tool for valve adjustment and for the retainer/keeper removal if it's needed. I'll admit that you better have good eyes to find a hairline crack. If you pull the cover, I'd go ahead and replace the gasket.

Spark plugs -Order them-I found the best price at Advance Auto for the Iridiums plugs but check around- I paid about $12 each from memory.

A few other things to check is your Timing chain tensioner and torque on the rear axle nuts.

Club members do get a bit of a discount at Leta and Napleton for what it's worth but online is still usually worth it if you can wait a few days.

I also have a set of seat warmers if you're interested. Best $$ I've spent and work great.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:54 AM
Community Organizer