Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*374st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

You forgot the stats...

Who posted in: %!&#*373st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%
Member name Posts
WhrDLMI 517
TepEvan 232
Vadster 219
Roflcopter 166
goldenfri 144
tacocat 127
Gilly_S2KFreak 109
gfacter 100
speed_bump 99
HMFIC 66
e3opian 56
9k_on_occasion 46
SlowTeg 41
3AFL S2K 39
Gigdy 29
magikcow 11
TopGear 3
koreanbro 1
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_bump
it is on the upper level so no concrete slab. I had to rip out a great deal of the subfloor due to poor job on the builder shower and shitty door installation to the deck out back. It is 3/4 inch with 1/2 inch in the other direction over it than the Ditra. it was easy to work with and gives you lines to work with making it easy to keep things lined up. It made more sense when we were going to heat the floor but hopefully it adds to the water proofing. I did not feel like stressing my bad back/neck carrying durock upstairs so I went the really expensive Schluter way including their kerdi panels for the walls which are really light. It was a big enough bitch hauling that tub in and out of there 6 or 7 times as the plans changed on the fly.

Shower pan is even a Schluter one with a Schluter linear drain at the one end. Between the Schluter stuff and the custom cherry vanity/linen closet this frigging remodel has been expensive as shit but hopefully it is water tight this time so I don't have a rotten floor and water in my kitchen ceiling again. We'll see how much more expensive it gets because my wife does not like the granite counter top installed last week.
Gotcha that makes sense. If we ever redo our new bathroom we will certainly think about heated floors. I'm not sure if it's worth it, but the few places I have been that had them they sure seemed nice.

How did the process go with the Schulter system vs old cement board? Is the Schluter system very expensive? Also what are the Kerdi panels made out of? It looks like some kind of styrofoam since they look kind of light but haven't seen one in person. Building a shower pan out of a mix of portland cement and sand (I think that's right) is/was hardwork, so I can see how having prebuilt ones would be very nice/handy.

Here's a picture of the extended driveway:
[attachment=87168:20151026_171917-001.jpg]

They did a crappy job laying the grass back down so I had to take it back up and reset it all, and I put some topsoil to even it all out. I did this after the picture.
Attached Thumbnails %!&#*374st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%-20151026_171917-001.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,306 Posts

so...do I take a pay cut for sanity? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM

We have not turned on our heat yet this year. Thanks pellet stove. We have burned like 5-6 bags of pellets though...

It will be interesting, when the weather actually gets cold, how much it saves.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,656 Likes on 3,343 Posts

Originally Posted by tacocat
IMHO, no. You need to convince the potential new employer that you are worth what you were making.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

different company? then possibly yes. same company? no.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Gotcha that makes sense. If we ever redo our new bathroom we will certainly think about heated floors. I'm not sure if it's worth it, but the few places I have been that had them they sure seemed nice.
We decided we don't spend enough time in there to make it worth heating it.

How did the process go with the Schulter system vs old cement board? Also what are the Kerdi panels made out of? It looks like some kind of styrofoam since they look kind of light but haven't seen one in person. Building a shower pan out of a mix of portland cement and sand (I think that's right) is/was hardwork, so I can see how having prebuilt ones would be very nice/handy.
Oh I'd do cement board and one of the other water barriers if was healthy but I will say the kerdi panels were really easy to work with and cut. Yes they are dense foam panels, I used the 1/2" ones to match my dry wall that was still up but I think it comes up to 1.5" thick. It is stupid expensive and I would never have done it if it were for my back/neck issues.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:51 AM

[
Here's a picture of the extended driveway:

They did a crappy job laying the grass back down so I had to take it back up and reset it all, and I put some topsoil to even it all out. I did this after the picture.

Nice I did something similar when I paved my driveway so I could park a couple of more vehicles
Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 AM

I have done it two or three times in my life, one of them was a 70% cut for sanity's sake.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by TepEvan
Originally Posted by tacocat' timestamp='1446579736' post='23793963
different company? then possibly yes. same company? no.
Different company. I have an interview this Friday at 0930.

Good things about current job:
Able to get out for appointments pretty easily
Pay is good
Micromanagement is pretty much non-existent
I know most of it, and do a decent job of it (so I hear)

Bad things about current job:
They own you. You have to have your phone on 24/7. Even when you are on vacation, the phone is king. Middle of the night accident; get your ass to work. Up late last night? Make sure your work for today is done. You actually have to leave the country to be able to leave your phone home.
Benefits are bad. Vacation, especially. Then you kill vacation time with the situation above
Last minute things that do not have to be last minute things. I think this is everywhere, but it is more here.
Too many Indians, not enough chiefs
Have to break DOT rules to drive if things fall apart

Quick Reply: %!&#*374st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%