Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

New to S2KI

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak,Apr 9 2009, 05:39 AM
haha, thats great alex is actually in my fraternity and i know him very well.

i'll definately look into applying soon.
haha wow, small freaking world.

Mike
Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Corrado,Apr 9 2009, 08:08 AM
http://www.jhuapl.edu/employment/sum...mmeremploy.asp
Rolfcopter: Sorry man, looks like you missed this summer's internship application cutoff date. Fortunately a degree from UMCP does not prevent you from becoming employed at APL when you graduate. (I'm a former Terp myself, Computer Engineering, '05) If you can swing it, try and get on the Formula SAE team (if they are still competing). I did that my senior year and it was a blast. Very time consuming though.

http://www.jhuapl.edu/employment/college/default.asp
Steve: You should definitely apply for APL. The pay is good, the work environment is excellent, and the benefits are very nice. Job security is very good too, almost like the federal government. I dont think I've met Jose Guzeman, but we have an intern from the mechanical engineering department in our group, Alex Thibau. You may not have met him though; I think he may still be a sophmore or a junior.

Mike
Haha, no worries. Wasn't actually expecting anything to be open. I do have an internship, but I don't actually use anything I've learned.

The formula SAE team is Terp racing right?? I've seen the garage, but never really thought about the possibility of joining. How do you join?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 680 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Roflcopter,Apr 9 2009, 11:27 AM
Haha, no worries. Wasn't actually expecting anything to be open. I do have an internship, but I don't actually use anything I've learned.

The formula SAE team is Terp racing right?? I've seen the garage, but never really thought about the possibility of joining. How do you join?
yea i'm on the SAE minibaja team is really time consuming. we're trying to a formula team eventually baja is a step in the right direction tho
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM

That could be fun. About how much time a week does it take up?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 680 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Roflcopter,Apr 9 2009, 12:24 PM
That could be fun. About how much time a week does it take up?
that takes up way too much time of the week. at least 20 hours during the second semester. and formula is even more.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM

I just sent an email to the coordinator (Dr Greg Schultz at the time). They needed an couple EEs or CEs to work on the electrical system (including setting up the AEM EMS which was cool).

The time commitment for Formula is significant, especially in the second semester (most of our car was designed the 1st semester, built and tested the second). 20-30 hours a week is probably a low estimate for the Formula car. It depends on how good your teammates are too. There were probably 25 people on the team but 6 of us did 80% of the work. The Formula car was technically speaking more interesting than the baja car (CBR600 F4i motor vs a spec briggs and stratton). motorcycle engine, ohlins suspension, custom frame, carbon fiber body. Its cool stuff. In 05 we built 2 motors, a N/A motor for chassis testing and a turbo motor that we planned on running in competition. We destroyed the first turbo motor (faulty seals) so we ended up running with just the N/A motor but it was still blazingly quick.

Mini-Baja is less "serious" but they do make a fun product. However, if you would like to drive during competition, you better be a 100lb female cus they get to do almost all the driving. The low powered spec motor in the Baja car is still fun no matter how big you are but for competition its all about power to weight, since there isnt a whole lot of skill dependent events.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Well that sounds pretty awesome, but still really time hungry. I'm just a 135 pound male, So I just need to lose a couple of pounds. haha. Do they have a site that I could look at or something?? This definitely sounds like something that could be fun
Old 04-10-2009, 04:12 AM

Wow, at 135, you stand a good chance of getting some seat time. Especially if there are only one or two token females in the class.

http://www.terpsracing.umd.edu/
http://www.terpsracing.umd.edu/formula/
http://formula.terpsracing.com/join
They have instructions in there for applying for the class.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Score. finally a benefit to being super light.

Thanks for the help. If I were 21 I would buy you a beer, but that doesn't happen til july.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow what dedication 2 days and a membership already!

Quick Reply: New to S2KI