Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Recon and Suspension

Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon and Suspension

Hey everyone, I have been quite of a ninja on the forums but just had to ask for those who got recon for they S2Ks.

So I took the whole day off to get recon for my safety check expiring soon thinking no problem as I have done little to no modifications. Only suspension was changed and thinking mine is not "slammed" i should pass easily (see image below for front space). But noooooooooo. I just missed the 22" rule at 21"

The guys at the recon place were actually really cool and suggested a few things but because the minimum height was not met I failed. Im running on Koni yellow shocks + Eibach springs so non-adjustable.

Anyways for those of you who have recon and already passed, what suspension were you running/setting? I think any higher and you pretty much have stock height. To remedy this, I was thinking new wheels to 18"? would this even work? or get adjustable coilovers to raise and then lower after?

What you you think? Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

the 22" rule my01 passed on stock "cr" suspension and my03 passed on zeal function t's with 6k springs at full soft dampening.
i doubt getting 18s will work since you don't want to run a thicker sidewall. getting coilovers are probably the cheapest alternative.
that being said i am selling my zeal function t's if you are interested. pm if you are. gl!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the 22" rule? Headlights?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by bouford
Originally Posted by bouford' timestamp='1416391454' post='23410578
they'll probably require you passing recon for your s
actually not to difficult depending on which inspector you get. here's a brief summary off the top of my head:

front and rear license plate have to be mounted securely
middle of headlight has to be 22" or higher from ground
alignment within 30 days of appointment
bounce test, car must deflect 2" but any movement has worked for all of us
dot headlights and tail lights required
clear corners not allowed if not oem

think that's it. lmk if you have any questions tj. cya soon!

Originally Posted by AP1EM1
Also just to add a few more things i've seen people have problems with.

license plates must be 12 inches off the ground. (Not sure why but i failed for that)
Seat belts must be OEM. If not OEM have to be securely installed and DOT approved, this is what my inspector told me. (hard to see what belt your running in that seat)
Tires and rims must be inside the finders/quarters. By the looks of your photo you are good but its always hard to see from a side shot. ( you can get away with a little sticking out )

forgot about those too. gotta write note tire size at recon inspection. also if anything is changed on the s be ambiguous.
for example, suspension... write down just modified so if you can pulled over, there will be no specifics
Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by satoman44
What's the 22" rule? Headlights?
yeah from the floor to the headlight marked with -o- is where they measure. I even tried to do a ghetto a quick fix too since it was only .5" from passing by loading my trunk with "weights", jacking up my car to let the springs 'expand' a bit, inflating my front tires and deflating my rears.

dont judge me, i was desperate
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Community Organizer

if you can find oem suspension or springs that will be cheap as well
Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Îm pretty sure they got rid of the 12" license plate rule unless they brought it back (it's been over 10 years since I first got recon so forgive me if they did).
Old 10-22-2015, 08:07 PM

Fellow lurker here with the exact same issue as you (failed at 21" with springs) . Just wondering if you were able to get recon? I think ill just go stock already. You guys know anyone selling stock suspension? Id prefer the full setup with shock and springs since i dont have a spring compressor to do the spring swap. CR setup would be awesome!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Community Organizer

hit up ian. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...s-garage-sale/
Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 PM

Just sent him a pm. Thanks

Quick Reply: Recon and Suspension