Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Half ironman recommendations

Old 07-08-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Half ironman recommendations

My wife and I recently completed our first half ironman distant triathlon. It was a non M dot event, Quassy challenge to be exact. It was well run and quite the course. As much as I had declared that it would be my one and only half iron distant tri, mainly because training was quite consuming, I am now thinking I would like to do two more half iron events next year and then move on to do something else. Having said that, I would like to know if anyone would recommend a half iron distance they've done and reasons why. Leaning towards the M dot half at Vineman because it sounds less stressful...as its description of the swim claims one can stand up at anytime (I'm an awful swimmer).

Asking here instead of slow twitch because...well, less up tight here.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I wish I enjoyed swimming and running, I would find the sport of Ironman more appealing.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
I wish I enjoyed swimming and running, I would find the sport of Ironman more appealing.
I don't enjoy swimming nor running. I do it just to test this body. You should give ironman a try. Especially if you're a cyclist. You'll have a better time than others when you get off the bike.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by TW00Si
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1436453404' post='23675143
I don't enjoy swimming nor running. I do it just to test this body. You should give ironman a try. Especially if you're a cyclist. You'll have a better time than others when you get off the bike.

I stream the world championship in Kona every year, I love watching it. We do have a pool at work I could train in, but the running - man, as much as I have tried to like it, I can't stand it.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM

It is very motivational. I remember when I started biking and running, moving away from just weight lifting six years ago, I would watch the Kona video and be amazed at the disabled or higher age groupers at their dedication and drive. That's how I got into doing triathlons. Had to pay more to go to gym locations with pools and taught myself to swim.

The run is real boring. But that's the last part. Like I said, you sound like a true cyclist, so you will be coming off the bike in good shape. Unlike people like myself, where its a struggle and the effort spent on the bike eats into the run.

Try it!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Was just talking to a friend who has done a few half and full ironmans. Gotta say definitely is something that peaked my interest. He doesn't really eat anything special he said, but goes pretty hard training leading up to it. 80 km+ bike etc. he is a swim coach but i mean looking at the guy you would never think he is a ironman finisher. How do you guys find the time to train for these events? And can anyone comment on the entry fees? They seem fairly $$$
Old 07-18-2015, 06:17 AM

Luckily I have a job that allows me make my own work schedule. I sometimes get a short run or swim in on the weekdays during lunch or early evening. Since getting on a bike for a ride isn't readily accessible, I try to do spin classes, sometimes back to back classes in the evening after work. The weekends are then spent on long swim, bike and runs. In short, I had no social life while I was training. That is why I don't see myself doing it often.

As for entry fees, it's pricey. I spent around $280 on the Quassy event. That's just for registration. I'm not counting on the hotel, gas, nutrition on bike/ride and food. The weekends leading up to the event was a lot of driving to the area to bike and run the course.

The Ironman brand events, I heard costs more. We essentially pay good money for torture. Lol
Old 07-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Community Organizer

Luckily I have a job that allows me make my own work schedule. I sometimes get a short run or swim in on the weekdays during lunch or early evening. Since getting on a bike for a ride isn't readily accessible, I try to do spin classes, sometimes back to back classes in the evening after work. The weekends are then spent on long swim, bike and runs. In short, I had no social life while I was training. That is why I don't see myself doing it often.

As for entry fees, it's pricey. I spent around $280 on the Quassy event. That's just for registration. I'm not counting on the hotel, gas, nutrition on bike/ride and food. The weekends leading up to the event was a lot of driving to the area to bike and run the course.

The Ironman brand events, I heard costs more. We essentially pay good money for torture. Lol
Friend of mine is doing a full Ironman in Florida. Is working on raising $3K to enter? The bike events I have done don't eclipse the $100 mark, so I can't imagine $280...and surely not four-digit entry fees.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Raising money is harder than the race itself. I hate going to my friends for donation. Did it once and that's it.

I don't like paying some of these entry fees, but I do see where the money can go. Road closures with cops directing traffic can't be free.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Community Organizer

Raising money is harder than the race itself. I hate going to my friends for donation. Did it once and that's it.

I don't like paying some of these entry fees, but I do see where the money can go. Road closures with cops directing traffic can't be free.
I don't either, it just makes me feel shitty - even when it is for a good cause. There is a bike event every fall here in Kansas City that raises money for a cancer center here in town. Minimum you have to raise is $175. Which really I can just pay myself, but I like to get donations over just paying it because I feel lazy just sending them that money. Even still, I hate asking friends and family to donate because most know that my wife and I have a good income.

Quick Reply: Half ironman recommendations