Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Motivation. I need some.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Motivation. I need some.

Alright y'all, I have let things slide for too long. At the first of the year I am going to implement a more strict diet and stop screwing with processed foods as much, avoid sweets, and my other personal favorite, beer.

I have used MyFitnessPal for a couple years now, and originally used it to drop 15 pounds. The problem is gradually over the last year or so I have let my diet slide and have put that weight back on. When my wife and I met almost 8 years ago I was at a very lean 5% body fat, which I have found is too light for me. I would like to get down to 165 pounds and roughly a 10% body fat. I want to eat cleaner, less junk and less processed foods, more vegtables and natural foods - mainly because I am tired constantly, not from a lack of sleep, but I am certain it is mostly my diet. You'd be amazed how much better you feel when you eat properly.

Here is the problem: motivation.

I have a great wife who mostly cooks healthy, not perfect, but we make it work as both of us prefer not to eat like obese people on a regular basis. But, I love my sweet foods and beer, and it's killer to keeping the weight off.

When I originally took off that 15 pounds I had a goal. I was going to ride the Dirty Kanza 200, and covering 200 miles on gravel in one day meant I wanted to be as light as a could be - so I hammered the diet and got as light as I could before my core three months of training began, and it was beneficial in the end as I had no trouble completing the race. Now, however, I have nothing to aim for. I am pretty content. I can go out and ride a reasonable distance without any trouble as long as I eat and drink properly while riding. The trouble is I know what I want to do, but I can't find the motivation to do it. I am not disciplined anymore. I want to enjoy my life. Eating properly 90-95% of the time would get the job done, but doing so is mostly the opposite of fun. Especially the first month of it.

So this brings me to my question - how do you motivate yourself to eat clean, with maybe one cheat meal a week? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get back to eating like an athlete instead of a pig? Any new diets that would be helpful, considering that I am a cyclist?
Old 10-05-2015, 01:55 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about another distance race in the spring as a goal.

Sorry I don't do much on my diet but portion size control. I ride 4 or 5 days a week and watch how much I eat not what. And I am sorry but a couple of beers after a good hard ride is a must
Old 10-05-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know when you train for a race, you're focused but even training can get tiring. Everyone who trains needs a cheat day and an "off season". I can tell you that when I weigh myself every morning I can like or dislike the results. Looking at the mirror can be a confidence booster or wake up call. I also try to stay curious as to what this body I was given can do. Now that my race season is done (March - NYC half, June - half ironman, Sept - New Haven 20k), I've decided the other day to make another attempt at benching 315lbs before the 2015 ends. I don't know if I'll succeed but at least I'll have a reason to hit the gym as the weather changes.

Set a goal or start researching on what races you want to do in 2016. You'll then get into planning and researching programs. Maybe pick races that's not just biking. Do a biathlon, even though you hate running.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Stopping with the beer would probably be enough right there, and or cut back on that as well as the sweets, but allow yourself something. Its just a balancing act, and if you weigh yourself everyday and have one of those handy calorie apps, you should be able to find that balance you want and weigh what ever you want without completely depriving yourself. The motivation to be the best you can be is something you have to draw from personally, cant really help you there. Sadly for many it’s a bad physical condition that wakes them up and snaps them into shape. For you its at a different level. So maybe more competitive races etc to keep you engaged is the best idea for you. Vanity and being single is mine
Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Diet is lifestyle choice. Why wait until the new year?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
Diet is lifestyle choice. Why wait until the new year?
Lots going on between now and then, including the holidays and a trip to Vegas. Too easy to cheat many times before the end of the year if I start now.

Thanks for the thoughts guys - I got my yearly biometrics and labs done today. I was 10 pounds lighter than I thought I would be at 174 pounds. So the goal will be to get down to 165 by March 1.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TW00Si
I know when you train for a race, you're focused but even training can get tiring. Everyone who trains needs a cheat day and an "off season". I can tell you that when I weigh myself every morning I can like or dislike the results. Looking at the mirror can be a confidence booster or wake up call. I also try to stay curious as to what this body I was given can do. Now that my race season is done (March - NYC half, June - half ironman, Sept - New Haven 20k), I've decided the other day to make another attempt at benching 315lbs before the 2015 ends. I don't know if I'll succeed but at least I'll have a reason to hit the gym as the weather changes.

Set a goal or start researching on what races you want to do in 2016. You'll then get into planning and researching programs. Maybe pick races that's not just biking. Do a biathlon, even though you hate running.
Agree 100%. Just look in the mirror.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 215 Likes on 78 Posts

With 70 degree weather in this part of the country, it's hard not to get outside and be active. I know cold, crappy weather is just around the corner.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Been getting out and running more lately now that the temps have dropped. I rather like running in the brisk 40-50F range. Even better with some Fall colors to see.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Been getting out and running more lately now that the temps have dropped. I rather like running in the brisk 40-50F range. Even better with some Fall colors to see.
50F is a good temperature for mid distance running in my opinion. 40F is the cutoff for running outdoors.

Quick Reply: Motivation. I need some.