Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Ok time to get back in shape.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Ok time to get back in shape.

Alright. I have gotten lazy (see fat) and I need to get my butt back in gear/ About 3 years ago I was able to drop over 40 lbs and get in the best shape I had ever been in. I did this by following this plan.

12 Week plan
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...y-trainer.html

I dropped over 40lbs in 3 months going from 220 to under 180lbs. I am 6 foot and not a small guy but this was the leanest I had ever been in my adult life.

So where did it go wrong. Really over the last year is where I really slipped. I wasn't as regimented about going to the gym and my diet went to absolute hell. It really doesn't help that my new job has free food (and really really good free food) including froyo and all manner of junk that is so damn good.

So I have started the above plan again and I am going to stick to it. I will post weekly weight updates and any updates I may have about how it is going.

So here is the starting point 7/13
Height; ~6ft
Current Weight 235lbs (ugh it makes me sick to type that as its the most I have ever weighed).

Oct 5 goal weight 185lbs

Gap to goal 50lbs

I have a lot of stuff coming in August including my birthday, wife's birthday, friends visiting etc that is going to make this a real challenge but I know I can do it and stick to it. I did it before and I can do it again. So anyways wish me the will power to not eat junk and drink booze for the next 3 months!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Best of luck Manga! I hope it works out for you. The best advice I can give you? Be patient, don't try and do too much at once and burn yourself out all at once. The results will come over time, you just have to be willing to wait and work for them. Keep us updated!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Fife. You're being a little aggressive on the weight drop and diet. Aim for 20lbs change and allow yourself some junk food once a week. Don't make it miserable or else it won't last. Increments over time and making it a lifestyle change rather than cold turkey for finite time.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about in the same boat as you are at 31, 215ish and 5'11". Thank God had a girlfriend (now wife) that was running A LOT. Pretty simple formula for me, ate 1/2 as much as I was, I didn't change what I ate just ate A LOT less of it. Started running with the GF and SLOWLY got to the point of about 6 miles a day. Got down to 175 which I am still at now (18 years later) biggest thing was changing the amount I ate. I mountain bike now 3 to 4 times a week and love it BUT if I ate what I used to I would puke.

Good luck!!

And, you CAN do it!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Site Moderator

I know it is aggressive but I am the kind of person that if I don't go all in and really commit I won't stick it out. I know I can do it but there is a lot of potential speed bumps over the next 3 months that could derail so going to really have to buckle down and keep the willpower going. This week has already been good showing down a lb. My biggest challenge is the food at work. I have to stick to the roasted chicken, veggies and brown rice but there is so much really good food it is hard. It is also easy to over eat since it is all free.

The good news is that while I did gain the fat back my body composition hasn't drastically changed since the last time I did this. Still have more muscle than I did before I did the program 3 years ago which means if I can stick to this I should look even better by the end of it. Also surprised that my lifts haven't fallen to drastically. Chest I was able to do 80lbs in each hand and leg press I could do 10 45lbs plates. My best was 100lbs in each hand and 16 45's on the leg press. I am also going to try and push past my previous maxes on some of these lifts during this. Thanks for the encouragement and I will continue to update.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I know it is aggressive but I am the kind of person that if I don't go all in and really commit I won't stick it out. I know I can do it but there is a lot of potential speed bumps over the next 3 months that could derail so going to really have to buckle down and keep the willpower going. This week has already been good showing down a lb. My biggest challenge is the food at work. I have to stick to the roasted chicken, veggies and brown rice but there is so much really good food it is hard. It is also easy to over eat since it is all free.

The good news is that while I did gain the fat back my body composition hasn't drastically changed since the last time I did this. Still have more muscle than I did before I did the program 3 years ago which means if I can stick to this I should look even better by the end of it. Also surprised that my lifts haven't fallen to drastically. Chest I was able to do 80lbs in each hand and leg press I could do 10 45lbs plates. My best was 100lbs in each hand and 16 45's on the leg press. I am also going to try and push past my previous maxes on some of these lifts during this. Thanks for the encouragement and I will continue to update.

This is awesome. I feel like there is probably a lot of knowledge (regarding this subject) to be shared, so be sure to ask if you have questions.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Site Moderator

Example of my lunch. I should have not bothered with the chicken. I got like 3 bites off it. The steak was great. Now going to a walk and gym tonight.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May I suggest you doing squats instead of leg press on a machine. You will benefit with core engagement and flexibility. Just watch the form and worry less about the weight. Knee is always aligned, up and down. Push from the heel. Do less with machines and more with free weights. Lastly, don't chase the weights. Health and fitness is not defined by the max weight/distant/etc.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn

Example of my lunch. I should have not bothered with the chicken. I got like 3 bites off it. The steak was great. Now going to a walk and gym tonight.
Where the hell do you work??

Not sure how many calories that is but it looks good. Is that a sauce on the veggies?

Try cutting that in half, maybe a couple pieces of meat and some rice.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Site Moderator

I work at Google . I try to keep portions to the size of my fist or less. The chicken is deceiving because it has the bones. I literally got 2 or 3 small bites.

The broccoli has siracha and mustard on it. Both have next to no calories, mustard has 0 calories. Mustard is great because of that. Good way to add some flavor without adding calories to your food. I am not a big fan of veggies so any way I can make them taste a little better without adding calories is the best way for me to eat them. Some also say spicy helps boost your metabolism. Not sure it's true but again anything that can add flavor with very minimal calorie add helps.

As for cutting the portions I will do that however I wait till I see my weight plateau for a few days. As long as I am seeing my weight drop I won't make changes because if you cut to often or to soon you'll drop to far down and for the workouts I am doing I need the fuel the food provides. Same goes for cardio. So long as my weight is dropping I won't increase the cardio. When I see it level I'll bump it up by small 5 min increments as needed.

Quick Reply: Ok time to get back in shape.