S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

F24c Rebuild time

Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F24c Rebuild time

So we pulled the motor and tranny which was rather easy considering all the clearance we had in the motor bay of the s13. We take off the oil pan,blah blah blah and then the moment of truth comes to see how bad everything really was. And it wasnt the pistons rings...................To my friend and I, we were expecting to see some nasty piston rings that were just fried. It was actually the pistons. Chunks of the sections inbetween the piston rings were cracked all the way through and just fell out. My guess, bad injectors started the problem and then high boost was the icing on the cake.These arent in order btw...
The pistons..

Just a look at the crankshaft? k24 crankshaft or f20c?

Here you can seee the hunks of pistons missing from around the rings

Isnt this just nice? the missing pieces of the pistons. Thank god those didnt come loose into the cylinder walls.

Gotta thank Brian for the blood (literally),sweat, and almost tears hes put into getting 'Satan' Running.

The white paint is me playing with having a white motor bay. I like the concept of having it white for seeing all leaks, etc, but also to match the outside. Yay nay?

here you can see where the s13's cross member was modified in order to fit the f20

Dont ask

Finally its out of the car.Thanks to CIVICEJ08 for the engine stand!!!

Theres more to come, today was the damage assesment, now onto draining the bank account.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ringlands....ouch
but with that kind of damage (And it looks like the piston skirts are scraped) i would expect the cylinder walls to be f'ed too.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 PM

GL with the rebuild! any power goals or crazy set ups? or just gonna go NA?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM

its all ready boosted..gt28rs.Im gonna try and pull some decent #'s but its a drift car so no more then 400hp range...Theres not any cylinder wall scuffing.NONE. Anybody know if these are f20c pistons?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by m R g S r,Apr 18 2010, 07:08 PM
ringlands....ouch
but with that kind of damage (And it looks like the piston skirts are scraped) i would expect the cylinder walls to be f'ed too.
here was a pic before we pulled the pistons.

As you can see the cylinder walls are intact and in good condition.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your pistons suffered detonation damage. Too much advance, too much compression or lean mixtures.

The pistons are probably H22 stock pistons. Check if the pin is 22mm and the compression height 31mm.

I would get hold of a set of the low compression ( -6cc from memory) H22 Mahle pistons. Ideally, If you know someone in your area who can hone out the block correctly you could go to the 87.25mm, otherwise get the 87mm ones. Measure up your bore anyway.

I would also get your rods and bolts crack tested while its apart as the F24 loads them up if you rev it past 8000rpm.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PS, make sure you get the Mahle gold series, they are the ones you need for FRM bores.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM

The pistons rods and crank are definitely not from a s2000. This what happens when you use cast pistons with boost!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM

It's not the cast vs forged pistons as an issue here, so that would not have made a difference.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM

On the intake side of the piston's is where the detonation occured. Every single piston had the same exact issue in the same exact spot. I correct myself, these are h22 pistons with a k24 crankshaft... This motor is practically brand new. The rods and walls look fine, and theres no scuffing on the piston skirts. I had 2 bad injectors, that seemed to cause alot of these issues from what we can tell. Buying new rods is something im trying to avoid because all these parts have to be machined. I have to machine 2mm of each side of the connecting rods in order to make them fit the k24 bearings and onto the k24 crankshaft. The car sat for 2 years as well before it was mine so im sure that was another issue. i need to do ALOT of reasearch when looking into forged pistons (which i dont think is the answer). This motor has not had the cylinder walls touched. These are stock cylinder walls because the f20c pistons and the h22 pistons share the same bore.

CLICK HERE..THIS IS MY MOTOR

Quick Reply: F24c Rebuild time