Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

audi r8 pics

Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default audi r8 pics

dealer had a special "private event" last night to show the car...
much more beautiful in person than in any pics-
it was the dark gray with silver blade and red interior (someone can help me with the correct terms for these colors)... did not have carbon fiber engine bay and the car was european spec (the only thing that i could tell that this means was the seats were slightly diff from the u.s. seats- which are like the tt ).

its a very "snug" cabin, but the seat adjusts very well. a friend was there who is 6'2". wasnt easy for him to get in, but once in he said it had plenty of room and he didnt have to put the seat all the way back.

absolutely a car that commands attention!

i turned the running lights on (look closely):

audi r10 (audi's reason for producing the r8):

pics from l.a. car show:

Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you say how the room is from a S2000 or Cayman or Vette?

I'm wondering how this stacks up to a Cayman S, in room, comfort and interior quality etc...

--edit: does it looks/feels like a $120K car? ie. 2x the cost of a Cayman S?

I don't fit in the S2000 not enough leg room, I still love the S2000 but don't fit well and it the reason I don't drive it as much as I could. I'm 6-2.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

seems like a bit more room in the cockpit than the porsches and vettes, but the porsches have some space behind the seats and the r8 has very little (no back seat or even a pretend back seat like porsche's).
imo, its easily a $120k car- with a goal of making a civilized lambo, i would say they did it. it is a very aggressive car, but with much softer lines than the lambos.
interesting problem that they have with the future larger engine- they will have to detune it to keep it below 500 hp so that it does not compete with the lambos!
guessing that this car will sell at a premium in the beginning- (some will buy it just to resell).

i think it has plenty of room once you are in the car, but getting in and out would not be as easy as it is with a topless car... (they will have one in a couple of years, btw).
Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice front end!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM

the front looks nice
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM

theres a vid of the RS8 being tested on www.dpccars.com it's got the gallardo v10
Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
rai

Wanabe, I hope you're able to get one.

It looks like a nice piece and IMO would be moderatly quick. I know turbo, F430, Viper, Z06 (etc..) are way more powerful etc. but maybe 420hp with a lot of refinment is zen enough so that you push it (rev the b!tch give it the wip) you'll have a bit of forward thrust but would still be able to putter around if the situation demands and have a comfortable ride.

I'm not overly concerned with the storage inside the cabin, but may be put off with the trunk is next to nothing. Seems like a small demerit for a great car, but this is more of a touring car than a Gallardo, F430 or Ford GT.

If you want a normal week-end size amount of room the Z06 or 911 turbo or (?) Aston Vantage would be better suited. I wonder if that is ever going to come to play, if it would come down to that being the tie breaker. For sure most people will have one or two other cars, but at least myself I'd imagine one day having a cross-country drive and I'd imagine thats a no-no with the R8.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
rai

Originally Posted by wanabe,Apr 13 2007, 11:30 AM
interesting problem that they have with the future larger engine- they will have to detune it to keep it below 500 hp so that it does not compete with the lambos!
guessing that this car will sell at a premium in the beginning- (some will buy it just to resell).
I hear they are going 550-600 hp for the Lambo soon so they may be able to drop 500hp in the R8, also consider that it should weigh more than the Gallardo.

If they're going to do a V10 it should have 500hp at least to go against the 911 turbo toe to toe on power/weight (it will weigh more than the turbo).

I wonder about the Lexus V10 super-car that's going to be in the same ballpark.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM

the Lexus will be able to park itself!! thus it will be the superior car
Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... I never liked the original pics of it when it came out, but the R8 looks stunning in that color combo in those pics...

Quick Reply: audi r8 pics