S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?

Old 12-24-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were some references in another thread that implied that fuel system additives/cleaners were dangerous to cars. Well, I did some research, and talked to several manufacturers, and they say "bunk", unless the products are mis-used.

Here is what some commonly used ones are made of, in % by weight:

Pennzoil Gumout Regane
60-70% kerosene
30-40 Polyether amine
Analysis: I don't see anything in them that would harm a car

Gumout Xtra
90-95% kerosene
5-10% detergent
Analysis: I don't see anything in them that would harm a car

Chevron Techron:
30-50% hydrotreated petroleum distillates
10-25% Stoddard Solvent (similar to kerosene)
5-10% Naptha
1-5% Benzene
.1-.5% Xylene
Analysis: Naptha, Benzene, and Xylene are strong solvents, but I do not believe they are used in enough volume to cause problems.

Valvoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner:
52 - 62% Kersosene
28-38% Light hydrotreated petroleum distillate
6-16% Stoddard Solvent
Analysis: A good formula, should have no negative affects on seals, similar to Techron but without the stronger solvents.

Amsoil Performance Improver
80% petroleum distillates
No other compounds identified
Analysis: Safe, but without full disclosure of any other compounds, one must reserve judgement against the other, more technically advanced cleaners like Techron and Red Line SI-1.

Red Line SI-1
1-5% Alkenylamine
1-10% Isoctanol
1-10% 1,2,4 Trimethylbenzene
5-20% Aliphactic Napthta
Analysis: A very complete formulation: detergent/dispersant, corrosion inhibitor, fuel additive. It has an alcohol which will help disperse any water, several strong solvent cleaners, and a detergent. Very comparable to Techron, perhaps a bit stronger, so be sure to use it full strength only when properly titrated, or in smaller amounts for continuous cleaning.

Techron in some fashion is used in all of Chevron's fuels, and it is the one Detroit uses when its cars are EPA-tested and certified. Would they be selling a product that was causing fuel pump socks to melt? Possibly, but you can bet that if this were a huge problem, the mfr's would know about it, and be after Chevron like flies on a pile of dung.

I could not find what is in BG's 44K, but have been told it is very strong, so perhaps this is the sock melter.

BTW, did you know that more Techron is used in Supreme than the lesser octante Chevron fuels? It is true.

So do you need to use these products? If you use a top grade fuel like Chevron Supreme, likely you will not have significant buildup of crud on the intake valves and combustion chamber. If you sometimes use the cheap off-brands, you likely will benefit with a treatment at every oil change.

What do I do (and have done for 5 years)? I use Red Line SI-2 monthly as an adjunct to using Chevron Supreme, to ensure that any dirt that starts to get a foothold gets flushed. This regimen has served me well, my injectors wore out (one car after 300k miles!) but never gummed up or delaminated, and my socks are fine, thank you very much.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeez, with all the "what kind of oil" controversies I haven't run across a "what kind of gas" one.

On my sister's advice, which she passed on from her mechanic, I've been only using Chevron Supreme in the S. The mechanic says it's all about the additives and the Techron is going to be a good thing in the long run. So if you see the Big Albert's, Fast Johnnies and Chevron trucks all pulling out of the same refinery, supposedly the Chevron guy is going to dump some Techron in his load and make it Chevron gas.

Just passing on info, but it sounds plausible to me.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 12-24-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

RR- where the hell were you and all this info when I first purchased my car?!

Since most of the 30k miles I have on my S are of the highway variety, can I assume that I have burned the fuel quickly enough as to have fewer deposits/build-up? I still average about 24-25 mpg and watch it with every fill-up. If it were to significantly drop with lots of aggressive driving, I would know i have a concern.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:41 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip

Since most of the 30k miles I have on my S are of the highway variety, can I assume that I have burned the fuel quickly enough as to have fewer deposits/build-up?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip

Since most of the 30k miles I have on my S are of the highway variety, can I assume that I have burned the fuel quickly enough as to have fewer deposits/build-up?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:43 AM

That's precisely why I appreciate you being here - your knowledge and research are second to none. I'm sure there are many people like myself who haven't spoken up about it, but have a lot of appreciation for your posts. Information like you provide is all too rare on messageboards.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:46 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I dumped a bottle of Valvoline SynPower Complete Fuel System Treatment into our high milage v6 Lexus... one day beore I saw this post.

They were out of the Techron and I really wanted to get something in the system.

We'll see.

You have to hang around, RR. Bring UL back with you too. I'd be willing to bet your posts are more appreciated than you believe.

Kind of like the 10-30 post. Excellent stuff. Keep it coming, please!

Not only that - you are one of the few guys who "gets" my avatar.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:54 AM

Well, RR, (isn't that Dick Tracy in your avatar?) I don't blame you for being discouraged.

I still remember the thread about antifreeze where the guy asked "Do I really have to use the Honda brand?" The first reply was something like, "Hell no, just dump regular antifreeze in there, I did and nothing bad happened." Or words to that effect. Woe to man and machine that follows some advice on this board.

I'd encourage you to keep posting just for my own sake. I can separate the wheat from the chaff, maybe you should just spend less time arguing with the chaff.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:33 AM

Words of steel, gentlemen (women?). I will not suffer an idiot, so perhaps I should adopt a thicker skin, and ignore the feeble-minded.

There is nothing wrong with Valvoline Synpower cleaner - let me check my records - if you have changed the oil regularly, you should not see a sudden wall of dark slime cascading through your Lexus' innards.

Quick Reply: What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?