S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to: Window Glass removal

Old 12-07-2004, 05:16 PM
vvs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: Window Glass removal

I switched out my driver and passenger side window glass this past weekend and took some pics for a little write up and thought I would share. Hope this helps. If you can change oil you should be able to handle this. It only took about 20 mins by myself.

James Luedde

1)
Remove door panel, 2 screws on the handle, another inside behind the door lever. Pop off door panel starting near the bottom and work around. Slide the cover around the door lever and pop off the rest of the panel. Slide it up and out. I am sure there is more than one way to get this part done. Do not lose the "grommet" near the top left of the door panel when it pops out. Disconnect power connections.

2)
With the door panel off, peel back the plastic to access the holes to get to the bolts that hold the window on. I actually had the window down already and got access to the left to most bolts through the large opening (see pic). To get the 3rd you will need to power the window back up(re-connect power window switch). With the window all the way up you will be able to access the last bolt (see pic). You can actually access all 3 with the window up, you just have to reach farther in to catch the bolts if they drop.

3)
Once those 3 are removed you will need to power the window back down a little and detach the safety catches (that is what I will call them) on the top left and top right of the door. Reach inside the door while you loosen the bolts so they do not drop down and damage anything. Once both are removed (see pic) you will need to loosen the adjustment/window guide and slide it all the way down. You do not have to take it off.

4) With all that done you should be able to slide the window glass up and out. I had to slide it up and towards the left (if you are standing inside facing/looking outside the car) to get it to slide out freely.

5) Install is exact opposite. Be careful sliding the glass back in as to not drop it down into the door and/or scratch the glass on something. The is a "ledge" that the glass sits on. You will see it if you look down into the door with the glass removed. Also when re-installing the safety catches be sure not to scratch the glass wedging them into place. I just used the original setting for the guide/adjustment, you will see where the old washer made an impressing in the door paint.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is good stuff and deserves a place in "Technical". Moving there now and putting a link into "FAQs".
Old 12-08-2004, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of curiosity, what was the reason yours needed replacing?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
vvs

Put it this way.. someone needs to to a step by step for window tint removal .

I had some scratches on the windows and most people would probably be OK living with them. I must have used something that was too abrasive to remove the window tint glue. I could not live with the scratches so replaced both windows. I got a good deal from Hardtopguy. I plan on seeing if the scratches on the old windows can be removed, I need a high speed buffer.

James
Old 03-16-2005, 07:01 PM

Very nice info to have.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks, its guys like you that help this community out...

I will deff. be contributing when I can